Plex on Shield TV - Direct Play (1080p x264 and 4k x265) broken

android-tv
fire-tv

Switching to another app is nor really a solution to the problem, it needs to be fixed by plex devs.

Same here. Green screen on 4K content. Uninstall all updates and working again but it updates automatically on nvidia sheild. Cannot find where to stop the updates. Plex really needs to fix this please, its annoying. Did play a recent 4K movie and it worked, passengers.

@jluequi said:
Same here. Green screen on 4K content. Uninstall all updates and working again but it updates automatically on nvidia sheild. Cannot find where to stop the updates. Plex really needs to fix this please, its annoying. Did play a recent 4K movie and it worked, passengers.

Open the play store and go into settings to stop auto update.

I would like to know why it continues to be acceptable to the developers to continue removing useful, usable options. Direct play and stream we're helpful in forcing Plex to not transcode video it didn't need to and therefore not lose DTSHD audio streams in the process. Now if it picks up anything it doesn't like in the video file, ie. h.264 profiles, it forces transcoding and I can't turn it off. This comes after the recent removal of identifying DTSHD streams in the video info panel with no real explanation from developers. I paid for a lifetime subscription to keep what I had and get further updates, not lose functionality.

@swchisholm said:
I would like to know why it continues to be acceptable to the developers to continue removing useful, usable options. Direct play and stream we're helpful in forcing Plex to not transcode video it didn't need to and therefore not lose DTSHD audio streams in the process. Now if it picks up anything it doesn't like in the video file, ie. h.264 profiles, it forces transcoding and I can't turn it off. This comes after the recent removal of identifying DTSHD streams in the video info panel with no real explanation from developers. I paid for a lifetime subscription to keep what I had and get further updates, not lose functionality.

Greg explained exactly why the DTS-HD logo was removed - because "DTS" is the exact string contained in the video headers. And I'm sorry to break it to you, but no piece of software makes a promise that you will forever have the features that came with whatever version you got when you bought it...unless of course you never, ever update it. Hell, the Plex Pass doesn't even have anything to do with core functions in PMS - those are absolutely free for everyone.

This software belongs to Plex, not you, not me, not anyone else. The develop how they want, just like any other software developer.

I saw the "explanation" a while ago; you may disagree with me - that's fine, but it still leaves users with no way of identifying what DTS streams are available for a given movie without digging into info. Headers or not, if the Blu-ray packaging identifies it as such, the application should as well. And I don't disagree with your statement of they never made any promises for anything to anyone, but I would've not made my purchase to support them years ago had I known I'd be back to using KODI to return functionality I once had. I'm not trying to start a flame war, just tired of software (Plex is not alone in this) getting streamlined for the masses and power users losing out.

Have this problem on my 2nd Gen Nvidia Shield TV. Rolling back to Plex 5.8.x that came loaded with the Shield fixes it, but every few days it auto updates to Plex 6.3.x, breaks direct play and removes the settings for it. Any one know how to block Plex from updating itself? My content is 4k and 1080p x264, x265 with DTS-HD or TrueHD, so direct play is a necessity for me, its essentially why I got the Shield--4K content and DTS/TrueHD bitstreaming.

Google Play Store/Settings/Auto-update apps/Do not auto-update apps.

I am on 6.3.4.1485 and I can direct play and the option has not been removed. My problem is that it takes so long to queue up remuxed or full Blu-ray, that I get an error message saying the server is no longer available. Have to keep trying. I have a 300Mbps connection to a 1Gbps remote connection. I will also get the error that my connection is not good enough also. I will usually have to reboot the shield to fix that.

Has this been/is this going to get fixed? There is a Shield Experience upgrade that I have been putting off because Im worried I won't be able to revert to the 5.8.x Plex client anymore and lose playback on all of my 4K content and seriously increase the load on my server for 1080p content.

The 6.1 experience update doesn't change the base version of the Plex Client. I've got the 6.1 update and am still running Plex 5.6.1.505.

Every now and again I let it update, find its a horrible broken mess and uninstall the updates again.

Hopefully we'll have a stable version again soon. I guess its the trade off for regular updates from a small dev team across a huge range of devices. Its certainly an ambitious project...

Anyone know if Shield Experience 6.2 updates updates the base Plex client? Need to maintain my 5.6.x version to make sure direct play doesn't get horribly boned again. Thanks again for the fumble there, Plex devs.

I have zero issues with direct play on my Shield TV. Exactly what direct play issues do you have @cmwill1284?

The same issues reported in this thread. With any Plex Client above 5.6 4k HEVC stops working entirely--It will load for a minute or so, play a few seconds smoothly, grind to a halt in an artifacted mess, and then eventually I will get an error about my server not being powerful enough to transcode the stream. 1080p x264 and the bundled audio--whether it be TrueHD, DTS-MA/HD etc gets transcoded to AAC. Direct Play and Direct Stream settings are missing from options. When I downgrade back to the 5.6 client that shipped with the Shield TV everything and turn on Direct Play and Direct Stream everything is as it should be. 4k and 1080p load almost instantaneously and play flawlessly, bitstreaming the proper codec to my Denon AVR-X2300W.

Dedicated Plex server is older but it really shouldn't matter as I'm the only user on it, and nothing should be transcoded on the Shield:
i5-3330
8GB
Win 8.1 and Plex Media Server/Database (always up to date) running off of an SSD.

Media Storage:
Mapped Network drive to Synology Diskstation, forget the model number.
4x3TB Toshiba in Synology RAID

Network:
1GB Switches
1GB Cat6 connections on everything.

What is the bitrate of the HEVC that fails? Do you have a sample file I can test?

I downloaded a sample 10 bit HEVC file, 23.976 fps, from the Kodi samples page (https://www.demolandia.net/downloads.php?id=60876578). I played it on my Shield TV in my bedroom, connected directly to my TV. It direct played without any issues (AC3 audio, which my TV plays natively). Does that sample file play for you?

I am running the Plex Android beta 6.10.0.2813.

I've tested several different HEVC and x264 files so the pool is pretty varied--right now I'm watching a 50Mbit 4k HEVC/Atmos file on the downgraded (5.6.x) Plex client and it is direct playing. Don't have samples.

Thx for the sample--will have to check it out and get back to you.. Not really able to experiment rn with my Shield. If it helps it was the 6.3.x version that broke all my HEVC and crippled my x264 playback.

If you aren't creating the files yourself, you will often find poorly encoded stuff out there. An older client may be more lenient that a newer client revision. In order to test this, we need sample files.

The older client vs newer client logic is sound but the hardware and its capability remain the same. If an older version direct plays a particular file and the newer version chokes on that same media, and the user can't access the settings to force a workaround that feels like a defect.

While it makes sense to scrutinize the media because it's the other variable in the scenario, I am one of a group of people who reported the same or similar behavior. Based on feedback in this thread from 6.0.x until at least 6.3.x there was some kind of issue. Ideally it's been resolved but what is really important is if the new Shield Experience updates the base Plex client. If it does, users experiencing this issue shouldn't install it because they will no longer be able to downgrade to the working 5.6.x version if they run into the same problem with the newer 6.x.x builds.