Plex on Shield TV, frame rate switching

android-tv
fire-tv

#1

Hi.

After having problems with a HiMedia Q5 Pro i bought myself a Nvidia Shield TV gen2 yesterday.
While HD audio passthrough work like a charm (except for one movie) the setting for frame rate switching doesnt work.

If i dont enable this one everything starts, all tv shows and all movies. but if i enable it i cant start to watch anything, i get a black screen for a few seconds (1-2s). then i get thrown back to the menu.

What can be the problem?
Im running plex media server on a dedicated server, not on the shield.

PMS: Version 1.7.6.4058
Plex player: 6.3.2.1332
Nvidia Shield: 5.2


#2

TLDR version: Shield TV problem, not Plex. Nvidia says fix will be in future Shield TV update. Date TBD.

Details:
If you have a string of HDMI/HDCP 2.x devices that ends with a HDMI/HDCP 1.x device, then auto frame rate switching does not work.

Example: Shield TV (HDMI 2.0) --> AVR (HDMI 2.0) --> TV (HDMI 1.4)

There's a very long thread on the Shield TV forum.

One workaround is to connect the Shield direct to TV via HDMI. Send audio to AVR via HDMI ARC or optical cable. However, ARC & Toslink do not pass lossless/object audio (TrueHD, Atmos, DTS-HD, DTS:X), so such streams will be transcoded. AC3, PCM, & DTS should pass OK (up to 5.1 channels), depending on capabilities of TV.

There's a way to hack the Shield TV mentioned in the thread, if you don't mind rooting your device.

Thread also mentions using a HDMI splitter. Split output of Shield, sending one HDMI to TV and other to AVR.

Alternate splitter solution is to put splitter between AVR & TV. Have splitter present HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 interface to AVR. Not really splitting the HDMI, just using splitter box to spoof Shield & AVR into thinking TV has HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 interface.

Definitely read the thread if you go down the hack or splitter route. Some posts mention issues with splitters not supporting multi-channel sound or not presenting correct HDMI/HDCP interface to Shield and/or AVR.


#3

ok, then we hope that they fix that..my Q5 pro plays everyting (different apps must be used) with the auto switch working.. but the shield is no much quicker and nive to use, and it will be annoying to switch between the outputs depening if i want to watch a movie, tv show or iptv =(


#4

I have my Shield TV set to 60fps and 4:4:4 Rec 709 and the picture looks very good on my 55" Samsung. Doesn't matter if I'm viewing a 24fps movie in Plex, TV with PS Vue, or Netflix/Amazon Video.

I experimented with connecting the Shield directly to the TV. The frame rate adjusted to match the source material, but I can't say the picture looked better (smoother, richer colors, etc).

I guess some people are more sensitive to the effects of 3:2 pull down or whatever frame rate adjustment algorithms the Shield TV utilizes.


#5

The 3:2 pulldown is noticeable on slow panning scenes. I too have a v1.4 TV so my refresh rate switching isn't working anymore. I used to have a v1.4 receiver which would auto refresh change properly.


#6

Hi

Nvidia released v6 today, where they said the have solved this issue

"Dynamic refresh rate switching now is now supported on mixed HDMI configurations (e.g. SHIELD connected to an HDMI 2.0 compatible receiver, then connected to an older HDMI 1.3 compatible TV). Note: we are investigating some rare cases of audio/video loss in these configurations that will be addressed in a future release."

It does work, but not in Plex. i have verified in Kodi and there the frame rate switching works. But when i enable this function in Plex no video starts. so since it now works in Kodi, is it now a Plex issue?


#7

Code is needed in our app to work with NVIDIA's fix. We will get the work scheduled so it goes out in a future update.


#8

@kinoCharlino said:
Code is needed in our app to work with NVIDIA's fix. We will get the work scheduled so it goes out in a future update.

Thank you =) Plex on the Shield TV is the best shit ever!! :D have used several different players/media boxes, but this setup is the best yet!


#9

@lusitopp I'm a big Shield fan, too. It is my primary client in my living room and I'm also looking forward to seeing this get addressed!


#10

+1 for this fix.


#11

Plex on Shield is by far the best setup (compared to PC for instance). I'm awaiting this fix.


#12

+1 for the fix


#13

I bought the Shield as soon as I read this issue was fixed in the 6.0 update, but unfortunately it doesn't work in the Plex app. really looking forward for this! Hope it can be fixed soon.


#14

Engineering is looking into this issue. It apparently is not universal, as we have reports of successful tests with the public release. If you're on v6.5.3 of the Plex app and you continue to experience this issue, please ping me to let me know.


#15

I'm having the same issue. I use a Denon AVR-X2300W and an Epson EH-TW6700W. The refresh rate isn't switching to 23,976.
My App was on 6.5.3 and now i use the Beta 6.6.0. Same problem. I remais on 59,xxx Hz.


#16

I am also having this problem. I'm on the beta release and couldn't efficiently install 6.5.3 but I did reset the app to factory (which was 5.x), and the problem remained. Thanks for looking into the problem @kinoCharlino.


#17

@kinoCharlino said:
Engineering is looking into this issue. It apparently is not universal, as we have reports of successful tests with the public release. If you're on v6.5.3 of the Plex app and you continue to experience this issue, please ping me to let me know.

Running v6.6.0.2251(beta). One movie successfully plays at 24fps, a blu-ray ripped with MakeMKV.

Tried ~15 other movies, mix of blu-ray rips, DVD rips, and those rips processed via Handbrake (old iTunes library), none of which play at 24fps. I see the same results for all - press play, the screen goes blank for a few seconds, then returns to the same screen where I pressed play.

Can test with 6.5.3 if there's a way to roll back to the prior version.

NVIDIA Shield --> Denon X4300H --> Samsung 55F7100
PMS 1.9.2 on Shield


#18

Thanks for the report @FordGuy61. We believe this happens when mixing HDMI 2.0/HDMI 1.4 devices. We're investigating the issue, which could could require work on NVIDIA's side. I'm aware they are also investigating this.


#19

@FordGuy61 said:

@kinoCharlino said:
Engineering is looking into this issue. It apparently is not universal, as we have reports of successful tests with the public release. If you're on v6.5.3 of the Plex app and you continue to experience this issue, please ping me to let me know.

Running v6.6.0.2251(beta). One movie successfully plays at 24fps, a blu-ray ripped with MakeMKV.

Tried ~15 other movies, mix of blu-ray rips, DVD rips, and those rips processed via Handbrake (old iTunes library), none of which play at 24fps. I see the same results for all - press play, the screen goes blank for a few seconds, then returns to the same screen where I pressed play.

Can test with 6.5.3 if there's a way to roll back to the prior version.

NVIDIA Shield --> Denon X4300H --> Samsung 55F7100
PMS 1.9.2 on Shield

i am on the regular plex app with similar setup as above (shield=>denon x3300H=>sony vpl-hw45es)

the last nvidia update fixes the issue for latest Kodi


#20

i'm on plex v6.5.3, nvidia experiance v6.
as i said, this frame rate switching does not work for me even though Nvidia said that they have fixed this. i also have mixed hdmi versions.

It works for me in kodi, but not plex with the same media file.