Plex Server re-adding hundreds of movies that have been untouched in my library for months

server-linux

When I brought up Plex today, I noticed 283 out of my 1413 movies show as added today.

Frustratingly, it's replaced much of the poster art with hideous selections cluttered with tiny print or foreign titles or both.

The files haven't been moved or renamed. The server hasn't been restarted for days. The watched statuses are fine.

How do I go about figuring out what caused this?

Is there a way to revert these to the previous metadata? I have a backup of the "Application Support/Plex Media Server" directory - it's several months old but most of these movies were added long before that.

Did something touch the date/time stamp ? That will trigger it. Such a date/time stamp change will not alter the watched status in the DB.

To start diagnosing, go do a ls -lat and see how it looks.

Digging deeper I noticed my Synology file server rebooted this morning for an update about 55 minutes before Plex started re-adding them. I had "Empty trash automatically after every scan" checked (just unchecked it to avoid issues like this in the future).

Is this expected behavior if the files are temporarily unavailable while the "Empty trash automatically" option is enabled?

Any suggestions how to restore the metadata? For some reason the poster art is especially terrible after this refresh.

@ChuckPA said:
Did something touch the date/time stamp ? That will trigger it. Such a date/time stamp change will not alter the watched status in the DB.

To start diagnosing, go do a ls -lat and see how it looks.

The video files themselves have the expected dates (well into the past). Many of the directory timestamps are updated, but in all those cases it's because a new .srt subtitle file was added to the directory (probably the subzero plugin at work).

Emptying the trash would have taken them out because the syno was down.

When it came back up, PMS saw media was there again, rescanned, and unfortunately added those directories again as fresh.

Your change to not auto update the trash is the best way to handle this. You will have to manually empty the trash if you move or remove data in the future

The watched status was preserved because the bundle information was still present.

Thanks @ChuckPA. While I was in the neighborhood I couldn't help browsing a couple other threads and noticing that you're doing awesome work here all around. <3

Thanks. I try. There's only so much I can do in a day though.

thanks for this, just happened to me, syno went down and now its re-adding all my movies :neutral: , turned off the empty trash option now