Plex server using external multi-bay hard drive tower

server-nvidia-shield

Has anyone installed the Plex server on their Shield and attached a multi-bay hard drive tower to store and play media files successfully?

Want to make sure that it is doable. If so, do the individual drives show up separately like in Windows?

Kev

Hi okko,

I have an Icybox jbod with four 8tb wd reds inside, connected to my 2017 shield tv with no problems.

but you will have to root your shield using this guide: forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tv/general/guide-t3692061 if you want the shield to be usefull.

hth

J

Just wanted to add, yes they show up as individual drives in the shield, and you can map to them in windows, but all the files have to go in the “NVIDIA_SHIELD” Folders if you want to do anything with them.

J

Sounds like more hassle then what it’s worth? So, if I add media to my drives, I have to add to “NVIDIA_SHIELD” then transfer to the appropriate drive that I want?

Kev

Hi okko,

When I attached my jbod to the shield, it automatically created these folders on each drive:

$RECYCLE.BIN
Android
LOST.DIR
NVIDIA_SHIELD
System Volume Information

The “NVIDIA_SHIELD” folder is the only one that I can wright to when mapped to my laptop.

Now my first HDD in the jbod is Titled “MOVIES”, So inside the “NVIDIA_SHIELD” folder, on that HDD, I created a Genre folder called “Action”. Inside this folder I copy over a movie file titled as “Movie name (2018).mkv”

Now the Genre folder may not be needed, but it made it easier for me to keep track. (my library is about 32tb).

The System Volume Information folder may not show up as I think that it is created when the jbod is connected directly to laptop, so can be disregarded.

Once all my Movie files were on the harddrive, I added it to plex as a Movie library and it scanned and found pretty much everything except the obscure stuff.

hth

J