Plex Transcoding HEVC Content Even Though Client Supports Direct Play

smart-tv

Server Version: 1.5.5.3634
Client: Vizio M65-D0 via Chromecast

Description of Issue
I attempted to play a video file with the following details, but Plex is trying (and failing) to transcode the video from HEVC to H264; the audio is Direct Streaming.
* Container: MKV
* Video Codec: HEVC (H.265)
* Audio Codec: AAC
* Resolution: 3840x2160
* Bitrate: 35 mbps

According to this Plex Knowledge Article (see the very last section at the bottom of the page), Direct Play playback of a file with these specs is supported on this client.

I have been able to play multiple HEVC files from Plex to this client in the past without the need for transcoding. Now, Plex is attempting to transcode every HEVC file I attempt to play on this client. My set up has not changed since then other than upgrading the server version over time.

I'm having this same issue with Samsung UE50KU6075XXE. So far I've only tried with MP4 file with same specs but lower bitrate. The video plays just fine if I try to play it from HDD connected via USB to the TV but Plex always starts to transcode it to h.264. I'm using the latest app and server version.

@Nick765 - Those specs are for playing via the Plex App on the Vizio. You indicated you are trying to play via the Chromecast (Ultra). That page does not provide guidance for that device specifically. However, you are using mkv rather than mp4 as recommended, so that might be it. Early on, you either direct played or transcoded. There was not a way to direct stream content. That may still be true.

Also my laptop from which I'm streaming from cannot handle the load of transcoding 4k HEVC to H.264 so and it starts buffering every ten seconds making it unwatchable. So I find this a rather serious issue.

I have the same issue with 2015 LG Oled tv when using plex app hevc is transcoded to h.264 but when using the build in media content software of the lg tv and go the pms it is direct playing every file I start watching.... Plex app for lg smart tv's really needs an update!

@DeadDevil6210 said:
I have the same issue with 2015 LG Oled tv when using plex app hevc is transcoded to h.264 but when using the build in media content software of the lg tv and go the pms it is direct playing every file I start watching.... Plex app for lg smart tv's really needs an update!

Don't use the official Plex app - it is really quite rubbish (they seem to have gone the jack of all; master of none route)
Anyway, on the LG TV download and buy bublikoff's XPLAY - I use it on my two LG TVs and it direct plays everything (including 4K HDR full bitrate movies)

Same Problem for me.

did they fix the LG app yet? I tried my Samsung Tizen (KS8000) last night and it played 10bit HEVC 4k video with Direct Play.....

I think I need to try the LG app tonight and see if they fixed it on the LG too.

Just to check in... I tried the official Plex LG WebOS app and IT IS still Direct Streaming... oh well... POS

I too have an LG 4K (webOS 3.5) and Plex refuses to DirectPlay HEVC content via Plex LG App, it ends up transcoding the content and killing my PC.
Also tried the paid XPlay app, and it also makes Plex to transcode the video...

However, if I try to play that same content via Plex's DLNA server (using LG Photos & Videos app aka SmartShare), it plays smoothly without any transcoding whatsoever...

Could this be a profile problem?

Plex for WebOS 3.5 needs some real work, seriously. XPLAY is working a lot better, Direct Plays HEVC just as it should! I just bought a brand new B7 and all my 4K (HEVC) content is being transcoded, while XPLAY direct plays everything just fine.

Were you able to DirectPlay with or without subtitles?

De: danielponte
Enviado: 4 de setembro de 2017 18:55
Para: clpalexandre
Assunto: Re: [Plex Forums] Plex Transcoding HEVC Content Even Though ClientSupports Direct Play

Plex Forums https://forums.plex.tv/
danielponte commented on Plex Transcoding HEVC Content Even Though Client Supports Direct Play

Plex for WebOS 3.5 needs some real work, seriously. XPLAY is working a lot better, Direct Plays HEVC just as it should! I just bought a brand new B7 and all my 4K (HEVC) content is being transcoded, while XPLAY direct plays everything just fine.

@clpalexandre said:
Were you able to DirectPlay with or without subtitles?

De: danielponte
Enviado: 4 de setembro de 2017 18:55
Para: clpalexandre
Assunto: Re: [Plex Forums] Plex Transcoding HEVC Content Even Though ClientSupports Direct Play

Plex Forums https://forums.plex.tv/
danielponte commented on Plex Transcoding HEVC Content Even Though Client Supports Direct Play

On Plex neither.

On XPLAY both.

XPLAY works flawlessly.

I have an LG Oled55CP7 and I too am having all HEVC movies transcode when using the WebOS 3.60.09 Plex App 3.8.0. H264 movies Direct Play with no issue.
Xplay App on the LG Oled54CP7 Direct Plays the same HEVC content.
My Shield TV Plex App Direct Plays the same HEVC content.

Why is this taking so long to correct???
Are there any Developers that can state whether or not a solution to this is being worked on???

Since we pay for this service everymonth, at least this community deserves an exact answer isn't it ?

We have waited so much for direct play support on LG. Xplay does direct play on mkv with subtitles..... please it's time! we have waited so long

The issue I was experiencing is an issue that I would imagine most everyone attempting to play HEVC encoded 4K content on a Chromecast would be experiencing.

The root cause is due to Plex only having one Chromecast profile (an XML file that defines the technical capabilities of each client device). Plex’s Chromecast profile is configured for the regular Chromecast, and has nothing defined for the Chromecast Ultra; therefore, Plex thinks that a Chromecast Ultra is only capable of playing 1080p content, since that’s the only Chromecast profile it has. This is why Plex transcodes anything in HEVC (which is not supported) or in a resolution higher than 1080p (which is also not supported).

The solution is to modify the the Chromecast.xml file to allow playback of 4K content. There are multiple posts in this forum where users have posted their modified Chromecast profiles.