Plex VR and Oculus Go - general discussion

plex-vr

I got a GO and PlexVR going and wanted to start a thread for new VR users to provide feedback, comments, and questions.

plex support article @ https://support.plex.tv/articles/plex-vr-gear-vr/

First off, thanks to the Plex team for even supporting VR. While it may seem useless to those who have not yet experienced it, I think that as more easily VR becomes available and accessible, the efforts will prove worthwhile.

Some hopefully constructive feedback;
- navigating library is not very smooth, using the touchpad of the controller is very jerky and difficult to navigate. Click-holding the touchpad or trigger works more smoothly, but the sensitivity could be improved, media icons and layout could bigger and better implemented.

• the whole UI seems too close to my face and could be pushed back a bit further in the depth of screen and then enlarged.

• The pop out of a show/movie after selection is particularly too close to my face, and its annoying to try to use the pointer to find the small play icon.

• there doesn't seem to be an easy to resume playback if the back button is pressed or otherwise navigated away.. ie there doesn't seem to be any 'now playing' or queue visible to select. In order to resume playback, you have to navigate back to what was playing.

• since we are in a VR world, letting the movie continue to play and be visible (smaller or off to the side or in the background etc) while also navigating the library would be great.

• sync would be a high priority feature request. I have not had the GO long enough to figure out the easiest way to add local media (yet), but plex sync would solve most of that issue for audio/video.

• I did find the settings screen while playing a movie: clicking touchpad during playback, this lets you choose from various 3d modes and views. Strangely, the trigger button does not bring up the settings/navigation menu. Settings are missing obvious things like subtitles, audio and video track selection.

I don't have much of a 3d library, so I need to acquire some usable 3d content. It would be nice if folks could list what 3d movies (and their mode/filename) are confirmed working with the GO and plex.

I’m running Plex VR on Oculus Go, and my PC server is v3.41.2. The app works fine first time out, but then when you return to it later it says the server is offline even though it’s not. At the same time, inputs using the controller pointer stop working for some functions - ie you can aim and click on fields such as username and password, but nothing happens - and my avatar disappears from the middle window under Settings. The only way to fix it is to sign out, and sign in again using the 4-digit code. Then everything works fine again - until you leave the app and come back, at which point you have to do the whole process again. Very frustrating.

I have not had any sign in issues, so far.

When I initially signed into plex vr, I signed in with my email/password.

I did not use that annoying 4 digit code.

Hi, hoping for some clues on this… I have a Gear VR headset, Samsung Galaxy S7 phone and the PlexVR app loaded in it. My content is located on my NAS drive and obviously my phone is connected to my network via wifi. My Plex media server is running on a windows 2016 server. I should also add that I have no playback issues when playing movies on my wifi connected laptop or my wired PC. I’m noticing continual playback pauses and occasionally this also includes the TIMEOUT message displayed on the screen. Anyone any ideas why this keeps happening and what I might try to resolve the issue.
Plex VR other than that is excellent, though the whole drive in movie theme leaves me cold, using the void option is where I’d like to be. HELP !

I bought the Oculus Go primarily to rip and watch my 3D blu-rays. My gripe is probably more with the 3D blu-ray ripping process, but I am having a hell of time getting them to look good. So far I’ve had the best luck using ByteCopy and half SBS, but the videos just don’t look very 3D. They don’t pop at all as compared to watching it on PSVR. I’m super frustrated.

My 3d rips seem fine, they are just remuxed to mkv. I don’t downsize or convert them.

One really annoying thing I have found is that plex seems to rotate the view so I have to keep looking more and more to the right or left.

Holding the home button apparently does not reset the view within apps, just the home screen.

Lots of apps appear to have their own vertical center that you can’t reset, ie you can’t lean back or lay flat.

Or at least I haven’t found the key combination to reset the vertical view.

@TeknoJunky said:
My 3d rips seem fine, they are just remuxed to mkv. I don’t downsize or convert them.

One really annoying thing I have found is that plex seems to rotate the view so I have to keep looking more and more to the right or left.

Holding the home button apparently does not reset the view within apps, just the home screen.

Lots of apps appear to have their own vertical center that you can’t reset, ie you can’t lean back or lay flat.

Or at least I haven’t found the key combination to reset the vertical view.

Absolutely agree, apps need better support for location of the view and recentering as necessary. I found if I put the remote down on my nightstand next to the bed the drift happened alot. If I held the remote and moved it occasionally (to keep it from sleeping?) that the view didn’t drift. So I think it may be a result of the remote falling asleep and the headset loses some accuracy somehow.

IMHO, the priority list of enhancements should be:

1. Being able to navigate by folder.
  2. Plex Home (being able to switch users).
  3. Trigger click (it’s not enabled on purpose as I found out in another thread).
  4. Battery meter and clock.
  5. Plex Sync.
  6. Move the movie pop-out farther away, it still makes me duck because I think it’s going to hit me.
  7. Shortcut to re-center the entire view, including pointer.
  8. Splitting the play button for partially played content (continue or start from beginning as 2 different buttons).
  9. A way to view long file names.
  10. Being able to move the screen without changing the size accidentally. Or vice versa, the actions are too closely coupled with the touchpad.

I can play my content from the local server but if I access the PLEX CLOUD server does not play anything.

I am able to see the content from my Plex server in the Oculus Go built-in Gallery app, but when I connect using the Plex VR app, a “Home” button appears below the server name, but clicking that doesn’t show any content at all. Completely blank. Very odd…

Battery meter and clock.

My God yes, these are so necessary. With the battery life of the Go being so poor I need to have an idea if I’m even going to get through the movie I’m watching or not.

Just got my OGO today and installed Plex. I can connect to my library and select a video to watch, but when I select it and it comes up in the floating information screen the pointer vanishes and I cannot select the play button. It doesn’t mater what video I choose.

Also, the app will not reorient “forward” no matter what I do. I have to exit the app completely, change the orientation, then relaunch Plex VR.

As for battery life, I watched a movie today (1h53 minutes) on Netflix and when I was done I still had 63% battery.

I can’t see where I invite friends to watch in my oculus go, has it been rolled out for oculus go in the uk?

Got my Oculus Go yesterday and love it, but I mainly purchased it so I could watch live tv while my wife watches her shows on the TV.

Plex VR unfortunately does not support Live TV. I can watch all movies and DVR’ed shows without issue, but there is not a selection in Plex VR to watch Live TV. (I am a plex pass subscriber)

Any plans to bring live TV to Plex VR as that was my main reason for buying the Oculus Go.

I can’t see where I invite friends to watch in my oculus go, has it been rolled out for oculus go in the uk?

The Watch Together feature is currently not available for Gear VR / Oculus Go. Will be added in the future but we can’t give an ETA at the moment.

I got the Oculus Go primarily to watch anime so I am a bit disappointed that there is no subtitle support yet. Hopefully that is a priority feature.

The picture quality on Oculus Go is beyond awful! Everything, from the screen to the thumbnails is hideously pixelated. It’s as if there’s no anti-aliasing and everything is steppy.

I know it’s early days for the app, I’m glad it exists, but the main priority should surely be getting movies watchable?

I tried all the video-playing apps on the store and in case anyone isn’t aware, Pigasus is everything Plex should be, image-wise. Films are smoothly rendered and the whole experience is gorgeous. It is night-and-day difference - if anyone’s thinking there’s an issue with their files or their Go, try Pigasus. It can also access Plex across a local network. Unfortunately it can’t access my Plex when away from home, a big deal for me, so I really hope the Plex team makes these much-needed improvements soon. I’d much rather have a nice official Plex experience!

Hi. Install Plex on Oculus Go. Can’t access my Plex media server outside of my local network. I have Indirect “Relay” connection outside my local network on other clients because I don’t have port forwarding set up on my router. Would be really good to see support for indirect connections!

Anyone having issues with low volume? The volume of all video files I play is very low - when I remuxed one of the files to stereo, the volume improved.

Just out curiosity guys, as a GearVR/Galaxy S user, do we need to just limit our comments to Oculus Go? The app in the Oculus store is the same for both of us, yes? I didn’t think Plex had three different versions of their app (Daydream, GearVR, OC-GO) - just the two; one made for Google’s store and one made for Oculus’s.

That being said, I believe we need a way to access our PMS servers when they’re not connected to the internet. That doesn’t seem to be working for me at the moment, and unlike in the Android app, where there is an “Advanced” settings where I can put manual IP addresses, the VR apps do not have that.