Plex won't play media over my cellphone network.

android-mobile

Hello everyone.
I'm running Plex server version 3.26.2 over Window 10 64bits version 1709 (build 16299.309) with Plex pass.
On Android I'm running Plex android app version 6.14.1.3753.

My issue comes when I tried to play any media using my cellphone network. I can see the green lock with "indirect" designation on my server. I can browse all my media but when I select something to play, I get and error saying to try to restart the app and the server. Not possible if I'm outside my house. I test it being in my house but doing so do not fix the error. If I go under advance and select use "external player" use android player same error. Can only play videos using the "external player" option. Music won't play just shows the Album art with the command bottoms but is unresponsive. Reinstalling the app didn't fix the issue either.

I was able to play all my media with previous versions. Any sugestions on how to fix this or get previous versions of the app??

Is remote access under Server Settings > Remote Access working correctly? Sounds like you’re unable to reach your server directly so it’s relaying through Plex’s servers.

As far as getting an old version of the Plex app, You can download the APKs from here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/plex-inc/plex/#variants
Make sure to go into the Google Play Store and disable auto-updates for the Plex app if you decide to install an old version.

Hi Derple:

Thank you for the reply. I have Plex for 2 years now and the Remote Access have always being in red with “Not available outside your network” message since the beginning. Nevertheless, I had always being able to use the android app with my mobile network, or any other WIFI.

I uninstalled the new version and downloaded the previous one and now I have no problem. It only prompt me to upgrade to a new version but I just skip it. I guess that solve my problem for now.

Again thank you for the help!

@jlsdust said:
Hi Derple:

Thank you for the reply. I have Plex for 2 years now and the Remote Access have always being in red with “Not available outside your network” message since the beginning. Nevertheless, I had always being able to use the android app with my mobile network, or any other WIFI.

I uninstalled the new version and downloaded the previous one and now I have no problem. It only prompt me to upgrade to a new version but I just skip it. I guess that solve my problem for now.

Again thank you for the help!

Generally, if your server is unreachable outside the network, than means you must port forward it. The default port is 32400, but you can manually specify which port to use under Server > Remote Access. Then, goto your router configuration page and look for port forwarding. Once you do that, it should show a green checkmark for Remote Access.