Plexmediaserver fails to startup after updating to version 1.9.2.4285

server-linux

After updating the PlexMediaServer application from version 1.8.1..4139 to 1.9.2.4285, and have rebooted the NAS box, I'm observing that the PlexMadiaServer application does not longer startup :o

Checking the status of the PlexMediaServer startup daemons with the command "sudo systemctl status plexmediaserver", I'm getting the following output:

● plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server for Linux
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; enabled)
Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d
└─override.conf
Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Tue 2017-10-10 14:30:19 CEST; 13min ago
Oct 10 14:30:14 nasbox systemd[1]: Unit plexmediaserver.service entered failed state.
Oct 10 14:30:19 nasbox systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
Oct 10 14:30:19 nasbox systemd[1]: Stopping Plex Media Server for Linux...
Oct 10 14:30:19 nasbox systemd[1]: Starting Plex Media Server for Linux...
Oct 10 14:30:19 nasbox systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service start request repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
Oct 10 14:30:19 nasbox systemd[1]: Failed to start Plex Media Server for Linux.
Oct 10 14:30:19 nasbox systemd[1]: Unit plexmediaserver.service entered failed state.

Firing the command "sudo journalctl -xn", yields the following output:

-- Logs begin at Tue 2017-10-10 14:11:10 CEST, end at Tue 2017-10-10 14:57:22 CEST. --
Oct 10 14:57:16 nasbox systemd[1]: Unit plexmediaserver.service entered failed state.
Oct 10 14:57:22 nasbox systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
Oct 10 14:57:22 nasbox systemd[1]: Stopping Plex Media Server for Linux...
-- Subject: Unit plexmediaserver.service has begun shutting down
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- Unit plexmediaserver.service has begun shutting down.
Oct 10 14:57:22 nasbox systemd[1]: Starting Plex Media Server for Linux...
-- Subject: Unit plexmediaserver.service has begun with start-up
--
-- Unit plexmediaserver.service has begun starting up.
Oct 10 14:57:22 nasbox sh[1653]: /bin/mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/root’: Permission denied
Oct 10 14:57:22 nasbox systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Oct 10 14:57:22 nasbox systemd[1]: Failed to start Plex Media Server for Linux.
-- Subject: Unit plexmediaserver.service has failed
--
-- Unit plexmediaserver.service has failed.
--
-- The result is failed.
Oct 10 14:57:22 nasbox systemd[1]: Unit plexmediaserver.service entered failed state.

What can I do further to mitigate this situation? From above, I**** only see that something is trying to create a directory "/root"...

It looks like user plex (or is it pi on your box) does not own the directory pointed to by environment variable PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR which is specified in the service definition or override file.

Thank you for the pointer and after a long search through all potential configuration files supplied with the PlexMediaServer installation &/or update, I’ve found the file “/etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d/override.conf” with the following line:

Environment=“PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR=/root/Library/Application Support”

I replaced above string “root” with the PlexMediaServer’s home directory of the user ID “plex” (as stored in the file “/etc/passwd”), and am now able to manually startup the PlexMediaServer processes.

It looks like that the “/etc/default/plexmediaserver” file got removed during the update of the PlexMediaServer application.

Instead, I’ve found the file “/etc/default/plexmediaserver.prev” from the previous installation. I checked the contents of the file, and it seems to be valid. Thus, I renamed it back.

And after careful consideration, I simply deleted the file “/etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d/override.conf”, as not required.

This seems to me to be indeed a regression introduced with this update.

Plex doesn’t support PI installations… The user community does. @uglymagoo is the creator and maintainer of the PI package.