PMS as a service

server-windows

so i had my whs11 server running brilliantly until it restarted last night and now my plex doesnt run unless i am logged in (cant remember exactly how i set it up originally but it was working)

anyways, in an attempt to rectify my issues i downloaded your lovely plex service thingymajig.

i install and add my credentials, i get the little tray icon and all that.

i log off and plex still isnt working.

log on and it works, so i click the tray icon (for your program) and i see i need to start the service.

i click start service but get an unhandled error. 

any ideas?

so i had my whs11 server running brilliantly until it restarted last night and now my plex doesnt run unless i am logged in (cant remember exactly how i set it up originally but it was working)

anyways, in an attempt to rectify my issues i downloaded your lovely plex service thingymajig.

log on and it works, so i click the tray icon (for your program) and i see i need to start the service.

any ideas?

Windows Event Log will show the exact error. 

I did have permissions issue initially on ProgramData folder for the log file access - path/folder might be different on WHS.

Suggest looking in the System and Application Event logs for Plex related entries at time of starting the service

Also check syntax for credentials    domain\username or .\username 

any ideas?

Hi,

First, to be on the safe side, ensure Plex isn't running when you try and start the service. It should work, but if the service account and the current logged on user account are different, you may get issues.

Second, make sure the Plex user (the user account you used when installing the service) has write permission on the programdata folder.

If both the above are ok, please post the service log, accessible from the tray icon.

Also, thanks everyone for updates on the os' you have tested on. I'll update the first post.

Windows Event Log will show the exact error. 

I did have permissions issue initially on ProgramData folder for the log file access - path/folder might be different on WHS.

Suggest looking in the System and Application Event logs for Plex related entries at time of starting the service

Also check syntax for credentials    domain\username or .\username 

thanks.

:ph34r: restarted and it works now.

shoulda tried that first really after all "it is windows"

thanks.

:ph34r: restarted and it works now.

shoulda tried that first really after all "it is windows"

Strange though that it was an exception that was generated

Would still be worth checking:

- the windows event logs,

- task manager with 'show processes for all users' to ensure that only one instance of Plex Media Server.exe running and also

that there is a process for PlexMediaServer-Service.exe

- the Plex Media Server Service log file (via system tray service icon ) 

I'm getting a .NET Framework error saying "unhandled exception". In the details is mentions somehting about JIT. I'm running  the newest .NET Framework 4.5.1. I also see in the log files it says "Plex Media Server does not appear to be installed!".

I'm getting a .NET Framework error saying "unhandled exception". In the details is mentions somehting about JIT. I'm running the newest .NET Framework 4.5.1. I also see in the log files it says "Plex Media Server does not appear to be installed!".

So I guess the obvious has to be asked... Is Plex Media server installed? You wouldn't be the first person to install the client by mistake.

So I guess the obvious has to be asked... Is Plex Media server installed? You wouldn't be the first person to install the client by mistake.

It's not installed but that's because Plex isn't compatible with server 2008 r2. When I tried installing it said it wasn't compatible. I figured the PMS as a service was a way around it

Plex isn't compatible with server 2008 r2. When I tried installing it said it wasn't compatible. 

Google search as this below shows people are using Plex Media Server on Windows Server 2008 R2

site:forums.plex.tv "server 2008 r2"

Maybe you have a corrupt incomplete download for Plex Media Server (versions are 0.9.8.18 general or 0.9.9.0 PlexPASS)

We had lots of such examples. It should be circa 60.1Mb in size and file properties should show a Digital Signatures tab with certificate from Plex Inc

It's not installed but that's because Plex isn't compatible with server 2008 r2. When I tried installing it said it wasn't compatible. I figured the PMS as a service was a way around it

It is compatible. That's what I use. I'd follow sa2000's suggestion and download it again.

A special thank you to cjmurph for making my setup with a home server work flawlessly, just the way I wanted it to!  I was finagling with a few other methods and nothing was working quite right, until this  :D My Rokus thank you as well making them my go to device for anything streaming.(at home)

Thanks for putting this together

I don't suppose you could make  alist of the steps to properly change it to use a differant user than was used to install plex?

Thanks for putting this together

I don't suppose you could make  alist of the steps to properly change it to use a differant user than was used to install plex?

The info in post #4 should be sufficient.

When you install the service in the admin account, you give it the username you want to run the service in. All that is left is making sure that Plex Media Server does not run in the Admin Install Account whenever you do an install / upgrade / repair of Plex Media Server. So never leave 'Launch' ticked at the end of an install and remove the auto start registry key as stated in post #4

Is there any need to move data over?

I assume that plex stores some data about where the libraries are in the user profile (really should ether be in teh public folder or some other non-user specific location)

or does plex atleast do that as is?

Is there any need to move data over?

I assume that plex stores some data about where the libraries are in the user profile (really should ether be in teh public folder or some other non-user specific location)

or does plex atleast do that as is?

These questions are general Plex Media Server questions and it running a Service has no bearing

1. The media files (movies / home videos / music / photos / tv shows) need to be accessible to the new user account but do not have to be stored in the user's local area. 

If you decide to move the media files or access them in a different way (eg switch from mapped drive to unc), then follow the instructions here:

https://plexapp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201154537-Relocating-your-files-to-a-different-location

2. If you have an existing Plex Media Server installation you want to migrate all the meta data collected and used by Plex Media Server and the database contents to a different account then have a look at this Support page

https://plexapp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201370363-Moving-a-Database-from-one-Server-to-another

3. Whenever Plex Media Server starts for the first time in a user account, it will create the local data area if it does not exist - otherwise it will use the existing data

Ok, currently I have my media on my D drive (second vHD) just thinking about where plex stores info to know where to look for the media

thanks

Ok, currently I have my media on my D drive (second vHD) just thinking about where plex stores info to know where to look for the media

thanks

By default it saves it in the user app data folder. There is a setting to specify the location, this is kept in the registry, so you can modify it there too.

Personally, I moved that data folder location to a more generic location, (eg d:\plexdata) it gets very large and is full of tiny files so takes an age to copy/move. If you are on whs, the c:\ is quite a small partition, which is why I moved mine.

thanks

There are two separate things:

1. Plex Media Server data 

2. The actual Media files

The media files you add to library sections when you create the library sections

The Plex Media Server data is created and maintained by Plex Media Server

The default place (for windows 7 onwards) is:

c:\users\username\appdata\local\Plex Media Server

You can change this default by editing the field that defines it in Settings - but you have to be extremely careful as you risk losing all the meta data gathered by Plex Media Server. One of the 2 articles I linked for you in post #24 covers this

See Plex Media Server Settings for General (with Show Advanced Settings) - Field: The path where local application data is stored

http://localhost:32400/web/index.html#!/settings

Thanks

I'll move the app data to D:\Plex-AppData

by default on VM's I make the C drive is kinda small (50-60GB) and is aimed at only being used by the OS not by apps for storage.

of course if C drive size ever becomes and issue I can easily make it larger but would rather not. (really need to upgrade to a better iscsi unit as thats one point thats really slowing down my setup.)

Thank you!

Works great on Windows 8.1.