PMS not working anymore

server-windows

Hi everyone,

It's been a month since my PMS began to crash repeatly.
At first, I was obliged to restart it but since this evening, PMS is not even appearing in the system tray and it seems that in the task manager I only see two related tasks which are plex media server and Plex Update Service.
As I recall, I should see the DLNA server and maybe an other task (can't remember)
I aslo noticed that PMS.exe only take 3mo on the memory and the Update one not even a mega. I can't access the web interface.

I already uninstalled the software but didn't work at all. I reinstalled the las version then the previous one : no success.

Is anybody have any idea what should I do?

PS : I already search for some dll that may block PMS from running but I didn't find any file that may harm this way.

Thanks a lot !

Logs and details of your setup would help the Plexperts to help you. Without more info it would be only guesswork for anyone to even try.

My setup is hosted on a W10 pro and here are the logs :slight_smile: (I put everything in a single archive)

Hopes it will help you help me :slight_smile:

you need to say when the issues arose and when the plex system tray icon disappeared and if the Plex Media Server.exe was visible in task manager or not

The logs you provided cover Plex Media Server.exe activity from Feb 12, 2018 11:11:10 to 20:43:47

So did it crash at 20:43 ?
If it did, then after restarting the server, assuming you have crash reporting enabled, it would upload the crash dump to the plex backend systems for crash reporting. I would need the zipped logs captured after restarting the server to identify the crash identifier for which the dump would have been uploaded

Hi sa2000,

Actually I don’t know when the server stopped because no error message appeared. I know that the task manager showed the same things about Plex as you can see on the screenshot I just took.

I noticed several things : when I launch PMS.exe, I can see it in the TM but as you can also notice the memory is very low as if PMS was stuck by something.
I believe that when I checked previously the TM way before PMS went south, I saw 3 or 4 related running tasks (PMS, Plex Update, DLNA and maybe an other one). Now it only shows PMS and Plex Update.

Unfortunately, I thought I added the crash reports but when I check the content of the folder, I only have empty folders :frowning:

I didn’t mentioned it earlier but I tried to repair the install (no success), I also uninstalled PMS and removed the appdata plex content.

Crash Reports get purged when they are processed. The logs would show if any got uploaded - but it would be the logs captured after a restart following the crash. So in the event of a crash where Plex Media Server.exe disappears from Task Manager and the plex icon also disappears from the system tray, relaunch the server, wait few minutes and then download the logs

you provided logs for period 11:11:10 to 20:43:47 - you need to say what they were for. At what time was the problem and what the problem was

I’m sorry but I’m not sure what you want from me. The logs I gave you are all the logs I have and as I said, my crash reports folder is empty of any log. I gave you all I got because I don’t even know when PMS exactly stopped working (I guess at 20h43) but I see that since this possible crash, PMS is not working.

At the moment, my problem is that PMS is “running” (as shown on the screenshot) but is not working properly (can’t access the web interface nor with the PHT and there’s no icon in the system tray). After killing the process (as it’s the only option I got to stop PMS), I may relaunch PMS but it’s still not running properly.

@Novaxis said:
I’m sorry but I’m not sure what you want from me. The logs I gave you are all the logs I have and as I said, my crash reports folder is empty of any log. I gave you all I got because I don’t even know when PMS exactly stopped working (I guess at 20h43) but I see that since this possible crash, PMS is not working.

At the moment, my problem is that PMS is “running” (as shown on the screenshot) but is not working properly (can’t access the web interface nor with the PHT and there’s no icon in the system tray). After killing the process (as it’s the only option I got to stop PMS), I may relaunch PMS but it’s still not running properly.

I cannot comment about PHT as it is no longer supported and was superseded by Plex Media Player a long time ago

I would suggest the following.

Killing the Plex Media Server processes and then downloading the install file afresh from https://plex.tv/downloads
Before using check its file size and file properties to make sure you see a Digital Signatures tab and and entry for Plex Inc within it

Then run it to repair or update your Plex Media Server installation

At the end of the install / repair launch Plex Media Server.exe
Check that it shows up in task manager and that there is a Plex icon in the system tray

Then open a browser on the server PC and go to url http://localhost:32400/web
If that fails to connect to the server and open your libraries, take a screenshot showing the time and capture the logs as before and attach

Note: there is an outage at the moment on plex.tv and would be required for authentication of the account used - check out the status page before attempting to do the above
http://status.plex.tv/

Hi sa2000,

I said PHT but of course I use Plex Media Player (I kept the older name in my mind :slight_smile: )

I did everything you asked me to do but the problem remains : I killed every plex processes I had (PMS and plex update service), did the repair, launch the app but it only shows PMS and plex update service in my task manager, and I’ve got nothing in the system tray.
As PMS not launching properly, the local plex url doesn’t work.
I may take a screenshot (I did all the process 40 minutes ago, at 9pm for me) but as previously, I have nothing to show you in my logs, expect the only one that have been updated : Plex Update Service.log (no log have been modified or created in the crash reports)

Here is the content of the mentioned log but I’m not sure it will be interesting as I guess the Update Service is activated every time the server is launched

Feb 14, 2018 20:59:57.242 [1960] INFO - Plex Update Service v1.10.1.4602-f54242b6b - Microsoft PC x64 - build: windows-i386
Feb 14, 2018 20:59:57.244 [1960] INFO - Windows version: 6.2 (Build 9200), language fr-FR
Feb 14, 2018 20:59:57.245 [1960] INFO - 8 3093 MHz processor(s): Architecture=0, Level=6, Revision=15363 Processor Identifier=Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, GenuineIntel
Feb 14, 2018 20:59:57.245 [1960] DEBUG - "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Plex Update Service.exe"
Feb 14, 2018 20:59:57.237 [7360] DEBUG - Main Thread
Feb 14, 2018 20:59:57.244 [7360] DEBUG - Creating UpdateService singleton
Feb 14, 2018 20:59:57.245 [0968] DEBUG - Win32Service::serviceMain: RegisterServiceCtrlHandlerEx
Feb 14, 2018 20:59:57.245 [0968] DEBUG - Win32Service::sendServiceStartPending - SERVICE_START_PENDING
Feb 14, 2018 20:59:57.245 [0968] DEBUG - Win32Service::serviceMain: Call initialize()
Feb 14, 2018 20:59:57.245 [0968] DEBUG - UpdateService::initialize: Plex Update Service
Feb 14, 2018 20:59:57.245 [0968] DEBUG - Win32Service::serviceMain: Finished initialize()
Feb 14, 2018 20:59:57.245 [0968] DEBUG - Win32Service::sendServiceRunning - SERVICE_RUNNING
Feb 14, 2018 20:59:57.246 [0968] DEBUG - Win32Service::serviceMain: Call run()
Feb 14, 2018 20:59:57.246 [0968] DEBUG - Running Plex Update Service
Feb 14, 2018 20:59:57.246 [0968] DEBUG - Listening for remote procedure calls...

In fact, do you think it can come from the last updates Microsoft did on Windows 10? It may be possible that my windows updated earlier the very same day, it may have generated a bug…no?

@Novaxis said:
Hi sa2000,

I said PHT but of course I use Plex Media Player (I kept the older name in my mind :slight_smile: )

No

It is really PHT

Feb 12, 2018 20:37:28.014 [9688] DEBUG - Request: [192.168.2.11:52558 (Subnet)] GET /library/sections/2/recentlyAdded?unwatched=1 (14 live) TLS Signed-in Token (Novaxis)
Feb 12, 2018 20:37:28.016 [9688] VERBOSE -  * X-Plex-Device-Name => Salon
Feb 12, 2018 20:37:28.016 [9688] VERBOSE -  * X-Plex-Model => Windows
Feb 12, 2018 20:37:28.016 [9688] VERBOSE -  * X-Plex-Platform => Plex Home Theater
Feb 12, 2018 20:37:28.017 [9688] VERBOSE -  * X-Plex-Product => Plex Home Theater
Feb 12, 2018 20:37:28.017 [9688] VERBOSE -  * X-Plex-Version => 1.4.1.469-47a90f01

I will look at the rest of your post shortly

@Novaxis said:
Hi sa2000,

. . . It only shows PMS and plex update service in my task manager, and I’ve got nothing in the system tray.
As PMS not launching properly, the local plex url doesn’t work.
I have nothing to show you in my logs, expect the only one that have been updated : Plex Update Service.log (no log have been modified or created in the crash reports)

Your statement that you launched Plex Media Server at about 9pm plus zip of a copy of the logs folder would be something to show me

If the tcp port is in use then the Plex Media Server.log would have a few lines logged

Is it still old contents in Plex Media Server.log ? with last line being logged at Feb 12, 2018 20:43:47.975 ?

Using Regedit in command line window, locate HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Plex, Inc.\Plex Media Server
Is there an entry named LocalAppDataPath ?
If there is, what path does it have?
You could right click on Plex Media Server and export it to text file and send it to me by Private Message

We could check the port being free. Start an elevated command line window (start / cmd / right click on command and select Run As Administrator)
In the window, type command
netstat -a -b > "%localappdata% etstat_2018-Feb-15a.txt"
This may take a while to complete
When complete attach the output file here

Hi sa2000,

Thanks a lot for your help : I checked my registry and my LocalAppDataPath was weirdly empty. I entered the regular path and my PMS is up and running now !
Still don’t know how it happen but with your commitment I can get back on my lovely Plex :slight_smile:

Thanks again !

@Novaxis said:
Hi sa2000,

Thanks a lot for your help : I checked my registry and my LocalAppDataPath was weirdly empty. I entered the regular path and my PMS is up and running now !
Still don’t know how it happen but with your commitment I can get back on my lovely Plex :slight_smile:

Thanks again !

Empty should equate to default path

What path did you set it to ?

The default would be C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxxx\AppData\Local

Could there been a space character rather than empty