Poor performance of Plex on a Samsung TV via Drobo 5N

server-drobo

Actually, poor performance isn’t quite accurate. It just doesn’t work.

I have a Drobo 5N with Plex installed on it. The Drobo has 4x 4TB drives, all very quick and brand new. I also have an SSD installed underneath for the “hot cache” feature. The Drobo then goes into my EE Brightbox 2 router via a lan cable. It is plugged in to the gigabit port, not the other megabit ones.

Here is a small diagram of my set up:

The Drobo works fine on the network at home. I have connected multiple devices to it and it streams just fine. It isn’t quick by any means, just fine. If I play a movie on a laptop when browsing the Drobo over wifi it works without any stuttering.

I have a Samsung Smart TV with the Plex app installed, I have tried using it wirelessly and with a lan cable going in to a megabit ethernet port and I can browse the Drobo but playing any file just times out.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue, presumably with EE routers being so slow?

Thanks
Rob

@rob_annable@hotmail.com said:
Actually, poor performance isn't quite accurate. It just doesn't work.

The Drobo works fine on the network at home. I have connected multiple devices to it and it streams just fine. It isn't quick by any means, just fine. If I play a movie on a laptop when browsing the Drobo over wifi it works without any stuttering.

Rob

Where is it that doesn't work?

The Samsung tv.
The Samsung tv needs an update, or something is wrong with that network card on that tv, you have to measure the throughput on that tv. Most likely it’s the plex app on the tv that’s behaving this way.

Your best bet is to assigned fixed IP addresses.

I’d also avoid running the Drobo directly via your EE router. I would recommend all devices which are ethernet based be connected via a network switch. This is because internet based routers, whilst they have multiple ports for network devices, aren’t really designed to act as a fast switcher and you so end up with lag.

I setup a network switch (e.g. Netgear) and connected my Drobo and TV to it and they are quite fast now. Beats wifi.

Also keep in mind the Drobo doesn’t have the processing power to handle transcoding.