Posters / backgrounds show up as broken images for TV shows only



Hi all,

*** Referencing this thread as it seems to be a similar problem:

I’ve been having some strange things happen lately. A few weeks ago, I moved my Plex data folder to a larger drive (my C drive is a small SSD, and it was getting eaten alive by the file caching). Movies have posters and backgrounds, and are working great. TV shows show up with blanks, but if you check the HTML code of the presented page, they show references to tvdb images, etc. that lets me infer (rightly or wrongly) that there is a match. I also have all related meta data on the show that shows up in the info (episode name, description, etc.). I have done the Plex Dance on my TV shows library, and they did the same thing. Log files and screen shots are below. I’ve tried to get all the info I think you’ll ask for, but I’m a n00b trying to be better, so if I missed something, I’ll get it for you (collective/singular).


  • Windows 10 64-bit Pro
  • Plex Version:
  • C Drive: NTFS
  • Z Drive: ExFat; this is where all media and Plex data lives
  • TV naming structure: {Series Title} - S{season:00}E{episode:00} - {Episode Title} {Quality Full}
  • TV File Structure: Z:\TV Shows{Show Name}\Season{season:00)\

TV Shows Library:

Movies Library:

TV Shows Info:

Logs attached.


Unfortunately - guess what?

Z:\TV Shows\Project Runway\Season 16\Project Runway - S16E04 - We’re Sleeping Wear WEBDL-720p.mkv

Should be:

Z:\TV Shows\Project Runway\Season 16\Project Runway - S16E04 - We’re Sleeping Wear.mkv
Not horrible, but also not quite right.
If you want to confuse Plex, throw in a few more dashes than the customary 2 (two).
If you absolutely, positively, need that trash at the end of your file name:
Project Runway - S16E04 - We’re Sleeping Wear [WEBDL-720p].mkv
All in [Brackets] is ignored by Plex.

Disable Verbose Logging - restart server - rescan library - take another crack at those logs.

Welcome to the Forum.


Ah, thank you. I will try that (I really did try to disable the verbose logging, so I appreciate you taking a look anyways).

I'll reformat the names and see if they scan in right. Hold please!


Unfortunately I neglected to mention...
to remove the possibility of failure...:

Renaming/restructuring is best performed OUTSIDE the library and you'll need to write a new bundle for the show so The Plex Dance® was invented:

The Plex Dance®:

1) remove show/movie from library
2) rescan library files
3) empty trash
4) clean bundles <--- update library, empty trash, clean bundles
5) bring names and structures into compliance/ or the ultimate bundle reboot operation
6) replace corrected show/movie into library
7) rescan library files

All Steps. In Order. No Shortcuts.


Okay, names reformatted, re-danced with Plex, similar result. Restarted server after ensuring verbose was disabled, and here are new log files. Thanks again for helping troubleshoot this.


Z:\TV Shows\
.....Project Runway\
..........Season 16\
..............Project Runway - S16E01 - One Size Does Not Fit All [WEBDL-720p].mkv

That looks good.

Now we'll call in 'The Surgeon' (one of them) for an exploratory surgery through those log files:



Z Drive: ExFat; this is where all media and Plex data lives

Since you also moved your Plex data over to Z:, there will be problems because of that.
The drive with the Plex data folder on it must be formatted with NTFS, there is no way around it.


@OttoKerner that's good to know; had no idea that would have caused a problem. I'll move it back to the C:\ drive until I get a larger HDD for the media stuff. Let me try that, and confirm that solves the issue.