Prevent Updates on Roku

roku

Is there a way to prevent a Roku from updating to the new AndroidTV interface in Plex when it is deployed to the Roku? I use a Roku on a smaller TV, and have seen what the new Android TV interface does to readability on a smaller screen. It made it pretty much unusable on another smaller screen with an AFTV. It will be very, very hard to read on the screen attached to the Roku. Anyone have any tricks to prevent any updates from happening?

Yes there is. However, when you restrict something from upgrading you will lose functionality. For instance, if you update your PLEX server and are using an old plex app on a TV or device, it may not work till you upgrade the app…oh wait, you can’t because the Roku version needs to be updated first. Just disable the Roku update settings.

Roku upgrades are automatic and take place pretty much no matter what. You can block the access to the Roku update server through your router but that can have unwanted side effects.

The only way to be sure that your Roku will not update is to unplug it.

A bit of advice if you are going to remain with Plex wait to see what actually happens on the Roku. The Plex developer for the Roku is, I believe, the best they have and if the new standard can be made usable he will do it.
If you ultimately do not like it there is always RARflix or switching to another system.

Thanks Elijah, that pretty much confirms what I’ve been seeing. The current Plex App for Roku is amazing, so hopefully they keep their current Roku guy on it.

Since this can’t be rolled back as easily as other platforms, please, please put an option in to leave the GUI as is in the event of an “upgrade” to the steaming pile of garbage we got with Android and PMP.

@DirtyBanks said:
Since this can’t be rolled back as easily as other platforms, please, please put an option in to leave the GUI as is in the event of an “upgrade” to the steaming pile of garbage we got with Android and PMP.

The Roku platform does not allow for that either. It has nothing to do with Plex it is the way Roku handles updates.

Of course by having the Plex Pass version and the regular version both installed you can use a fix for any bugs as soon as they are made available. The Plex Pass version does not have to wait on Roku’s hideously slow approval process. Of course that works the other way as well. If you are using the Plex Pass version and a bug rears its ugly head you can switch to the regular version and gain a few days of grace before the bug permeates everything.

@Elijah_Baley said:

@DirtyBanks said:

The Roku platform does not allow for that either. It has nothing to do with Plex it is the way Roku handles updates.

Of course by having the Plex Pass version and the regular version both installed you can use a fix for any bugs as soon as they are made available. The Plex Pass version does not have to wait on Roku’s hideously slow approval process. Of course that works the other way as well. If you are using the Plex Pass version and a bug rears its ugly head you can switch to the regular version and gain a few days of grace before the bug permeates everything.

Very true except I do remember one time where they actually updated the normal app first before the plex pass. I just could not see any rational for that.

@“hackztor@gmail.com” said:

@Elijah_Baley said:

@DirtyBanks said:

Very true except I do remember one time where they actually updated the normal app first before the plex pass. I just could not see any rational for that.

The reason I suggest keeping both is for the roll to the regular version if they issue a flawed Plex Pass version so you can keep decent operation at least until the flawed version hits the regular version and so you can get a fix in the Plex Pass version without having to wait for Roku’s hideously slow approval process. It will not completely prevent all problems but it does serve to minimize down time.