Problems installing 1.7.5.4035; Crashed starting (Missing cacert.pem)

server-windows

Windows 10 (pre-Creator) 1607
WAS 1.5.5.3634
NOW 1.7.5.4035

This past weekend I installed the latest (ass|u|me it was 1.7.5.4035) from the Plex web interface and was advised today that Plex was has not been working for a few days. I went to the PC and noticed it was not in the system tray and after trying to start (it starts and quickly quits) I went to the PMS log and found it was complaining that the cacert.pem was missing. I chose to just download and reinstall Plex (AFAIK I did not see "repair") and after that it still did not work and continued to report the missing file. A search yielded a file of this name in the Python folder (outside of Plex).

I then recovered from a July 1st backup just the PMS folder and the file was there. I then went back in and found (and RECALL) that there are problems downloading/installing 1.7.5. Instead of the usual download; then install asking for higher security - it never asked. Today it kept repeating to install and never actually did it - reboot/again/reboot - still nothing - the Plex web interface repeatedly said to INSTALL and functionally did nothing.

I resorted to installing the previously downloaded full 1.7.5 and chose REPAIR - after a few moments and reboot all is fine (cacert.pem is now under Resources). Size is different than Python - similar file or not, not sure.

Curiously - the install as stated when I did it the FIRST time before going to backup did NOT install cacert.pem. Don't know what does (if starting the first time it creates or what) but clearly a re-install didn't. Is it possible the first time I was shown REPAIR and chose INSTALL? Possible but from memory I only recall 2 buttons not 3 - and then 3 after.

So a number of issues with this upgrade - thankfully I had a backup. All appears to be fine now.

I am having this same issue. I will attempt to reproduce your troubleshooting in hopes it fixes my problem. Thanks for the info.

could it be the download exe file was incomplete ? If you check file properties of the file, what is the size and is there a Digital Signatures tab in the file properties?

The original file would be part of the install
C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\cacert.pem

The presence of a Digital Signatures tab in the file properties of the Plex-Media-Server-1.7.5.4035-313f93718.exe file is a good indication that the downloaded file is complete

Was this a manual install or one through the Plex Web updates interface?
The install logs may have some clues
They would be in C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp or C:\Users\xxxx\Appdata\Local\Plex Media Server\Logs\Installer Logs

This sounds really dumb, but I found a quick fix for this issue. I ran into the same problem of missing the "cacert.pem" file. I was looking in the Plex Media Server > Resources folder and found a file named "dh512.pem". So I made a copy of it and renamed the copy to "cacert.pem" and now Plex is running wonderfully once again. I don't understand it... but it worked for me.

@Jahfen said:
This sounds really dumb, but I found a quick fix for this issue. I ran into the same problem of missing the "cacert.pem" file. I was looking in the Plex Media Server > Resources folder and found a file named "dh512.pem". So I made a copy of it and renamed the copy to "cacert.pem" and now Plex is running wonderfully once again. I don't understand it... but it worked for me.

A missing cacert.pem suggests there is a corrupt install - perhaps a corrupt download exe used for the install. Check the file properties of the download used for the install. A missing Digital Signatures tab or missing certificate within the tab would be indicative of an incomplete corrupt download

@Jahfen said:
This sounds really dumb, but I found a quick fix for this issue. I ran into the same problem of missing the “cacert.pem” file. I was looking in the Plex Media Server > Resources folder and found a file named “dh512.pem”. So I made a copy of it and renamed the copy to “cacert.pem” and now Plex is running wonderfully once again. I don’t understand it… but it worked for me.

no idea whats going on but this worked for me :slight_smile: my plex had been running fine for months and then suddenly stopped working with the same symptoms the OP described.

thanks Jahfen

@Jahfen said:
This sounds really dumb, but I found a quick fix for this issue. I ran into the same problem of missing the “cacert.pem” file. I was looking in the Plex Media Server > Resources folder and found a file named “dh512.pem”. So I made a copy of it and renamed the copy to “cacert.pem” and now Plex is running wonderfully once again. I don’t understand it… but it worked for me.

Same issue and this workaround worked for me too.
Thanks @Jahfen.

See my post http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1538070/#Comment_1538070

If there is a corrupt download install file then it would be unsafe to just go forward with that install.

Best to check the install file used for the last update - right click and select file properties for
Plex-Media-Server-1.12.1.4885-1046ba85f.exe
Check that there is a Digital Signatures tab showing with an entry for Plex Inc

If that does show, then the msi setup logs may have clues
They would be in %LocalAppData%\Temp in log files with names starting Plex Media Server_yyyymmdd_hhmmss