Question about how shared plugins work...

Sorry if this seems obvious but I've been mulling it over. I recently installed a plugin to allow users I share with to request additions to the library. Previously I didn't have plugins shared over concerns of wasting bandwidth, i.e. someone has Comedy Central since they have cable but they watch it through my Plex using my bandwidth. Is this how it works? I assumed so since it is all running back through my server. Or do website based plugins get that data directly over the users internet, circumventing my internet entirely?

It goes through your PMS

@pmcarlsonjr said:
Sorry if this seems obvious but I’ve been mulling it over. I recently installed a plugin to allow users I share with to request additions to the library. Previously I didn’t have plugins shared over concerns of wasting bandwidth, i.e. someone has Comedy Central since they have cable but they watch it through my Plex using my bandwidth. Is this how it works? I assumed so since it is all running back through my server. Or do website based plugins get that data directly over the users internet, circumventing my internet entirely?

@dane22 said:
It goes through your PMS

@dane22 I don’t think that’s completely accurate. If the said Comedy Central video is played using Direct Play then the connection is direct between the User and the video hosted on the Comedy Central website. However, if the said video requires transcoding only then the connection is via PMS and will use up the bandwith of the PMS machine.

@coder-alpha said:
@dane22 I don’t think that’s completely accurate. If the said Comedy Central video is played using Direct Play then the connection is direct between the User and the video hosted on the Comedy Central website. However, if the said video requires transcoding only then the connection is via PMS and will use up the bandwith of the PMS machine.

^^ This is correct, it really depends on if the video requires transcoding or not. If so: everything goes through the Plex Media Server. If not, the video is played directly from the source website and only the initial request for metadata goes through Plex Media Server.

I stand corrected then :wink: