Question on NAS and using Shield TV Pro

server-nvidia-shield

#1

I'm fairly new to Plex and starting to rip all my bluray and UHD 4K discs and looking into getting a NAS. Wanted to ask which way to to based on how I will be using Plex and the NAS. The Shield TV Pro is in our dedicated home theater room and our boys want to watch the movies on their ipad/iphone/kindle fire devices. I have the Shield TV Pro set as the server. We are not going to be watching anything remotely away from the house.
Question is do I really need to get a NAS with Plex installed on it? Or can I just get away with getting a NAS just for the storage capability?

Thanks for any help you can provide.


#2

NO
All u need is any ole NAS on your network
or DAS plugged into the Shield.


#3

@spikemixture said:
NO
All u need is any ole NAS on your network
or DAS plugged into the Shield.

Thanks for your input! I'm looking at either the Synology DiskStation DS1817+ or something from QNAP


#4

I have the 1815+ and just bought the 1817+

They are virtually the same and for what u plan get the older 1815+ and save a few hundred dollars to put into bigger hard drives!


#5

@spikemixture said:
I have the 1815+ and just bought the 1817+

They are virtually the same and for what u plan get the older 1815+ and save a few hundred dollars to put into bigger hard drives!

So are you using the 1817+ with a Shield TV? Thinking of going this route and wanted to know how it would perform. Since I can use my Shield TV Pro as a server and just use the 1817+ as a storage device for my MKV files.


#6

@jsc1205 said:

@spikemixture said:
I have the 1815+ and just bought the 1817+

They are virtually the same and for what u plan get the older 1815+ and save a few hundred dollars to put into bigger hard drives!

So are you using the 1817+ with a Shield TV? Thinking of going this route and wanted to know how it would perform. Since I can use my Shield TV Pro as a server and just use the 1817+ as a storage device for my MKV files.

I use a NUC Skull as my #1 server and The Shield Pro as my #2 server and yes both use the 1817+ as storage.

I have a couple of years of watched shows and Plex on Shield has no way for me to move my DB from the Win10 NUC to the Shield!!
So until I can do that my Shield pro will not be my main PMS


#7

@jsc1205
I'm using a Shield Pro 2017 as PMS server & client and a Synology DS414 for storage and it works great. No problems playing DVD/Blu-ray rips made with MakeMKV. No problems playing MP4/M4V files originally in my iTunes library (DVD/Blu-ray rips processed with Handbrake before I started using Plex).

I'm using Plex just for movies. No music, DVR, photos, remote access, etc. The highest bitrate files I have are 40 - 42 Mbps Blu-ray rips (1080p, I've no 4K media). Everything is connected via wired gigabit Ethernet.

Given that a DS414 can serve up files at 1 Gbps via SMB, you should have no problem using a 1815+/1817+/etc for the same purposes.