Rasplex - Guide to Audio Settings [Updated]

rasplex

#16

I have now updated this guide following the release of Rasplex 1.6.0, the document on the first post has been replaced.

Regards


#17

Thanks for updating.


#18

Im not sure how to set my audio up properly my canton is stereo PCM but alot of my Films have HD audio i would rather keep that audio. I know it cannot pass through. But the volume sounds low. So i use volume amplification to turn the sound up i don't really want to transcode to AC3 it doesn't sound as good Ned could you help me with settings please how to set the audio for my Canton DM 55 soundbase please


#19

Total hifi-dunce question from me - apologies in advance! I have very basic setup - OpenPHT on a Mac mini, hdmi to tv. That's it. Since today's update, I can no longer control volume with my Mac remote. Previously that only happened with x265 content, now it's all content. Have played with the settings a little but to no avail, know next to nothing about audio. Previously just had output & passthrough devices set to default / hdmi, ac3 ticked, dts not ticked, I think. I've tried to follow your pdf, but I don't have the options recommended available to me? Specifically, i now have 4 audio output device options
1. Default, HDMI
2. HDMI, SONY TV
3. BUILT-IN OUTPUT, INTERNAL SPEAKERS
4. AirPlay, AirPlayNullEndpointAudioDataSource
And for my passthrough device, I have only the first two.
I've tried a few combinations of settings to no avail. Can anybody point me in the right direction, either for instructions that are relevant to my system, or the settings I should use? Not overly fussed about sound quality, I'd just like it to work the way it did without the need for the second remote control for volume!
Thanks :-)


#20

This is the Rasplex forum (Plex on a Raspberry Pi). You would have much better luck getting an answer on the OpenPHT or server forum.


#21

Hi,

I'm having trouble playing anything but stereo when playing movies only dolby digital movies seem to be play in 5.1
I have ssh to the pi and this is what i got
RasPlex:~ # tvservice -a
PCM supported: Max channels: 6, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max samplesize 24 b its.
AC3 supported: Max channels: 6, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max rate 640 kb/s.

and my setting are

Audio output device HDMI
Number of channels 5.1 (or 7.1 if you have sufficient speakers)
Support 8 channel DTS-HD audio decoding Unchecked
Enable passthrough Checked
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver Checked
Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver Unchecked
DTS capable receiver Unchecked

i see in the pdf Transcoding DTS to AC3 settings but i dont have this setting
Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding

i have just installed rasplex and i have checked for up dates within it

I have a pi 3 and running 1.6.2.123-e23a7eef Architecture RPi2.arm

hope someone can help me if i cant get 5.1 in resplex the pi will have been a waste of money!
Thanks for your help


#22

If it is any use to someone I plugged the pi directly into the AV and i got the following output when i ran that command.
sound coming from all speakers now, my sony tv supports only DD not DTS
should I be worried that DTS-HD max rate is only 8kb/s when the others are much higher?

RasPlex:~ # tvservice -a
PCM supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max samplesize 24 bits.
AC3 supported: Max channels: 6, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max rate 640 kb/s.
DTS supported: Max channels: 7, Max samplerate: 96kHz, Max rate 1536 kb/s.
DTS_HD supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 8 kb/s.


#23

When playing back music files on the PI 2 (RasPlex) - multichannel flac - the speakers are shifted. If I use my Dune player with Emplexer the speakers are correct. I have the passthru unchecked and movies play great with full pcm sound and thru the right speakers. I would love to use RasPlex for all the cool artist pics and info.


#24

Same problem here... OPENPTH messes audio and PTH works... with same settings


#25

What are the best audio setting for me? I have te RPi connected via HDMI to Amplifier, Amplifier connected via HDMI to TV
RasPlex:~ # tvservice -a
PCM supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max samplesize 24 bits.
AC3 supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max rate 640 kb/s.
DTS supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max rate 1536 kb/s.
EAC3 supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max rate 8 kb/s.
DTS_HD supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 8 kb/s.
MLP supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 8 kb/s.

My settings are now:
Audio output device HDMI
Number of channels 5.1
Support 8 channel DTS-HD audio decoding Checked
Enable passthrough Checked
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver checked
Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver checked
DTS capable receiver Selection unavailable

Is it better to uncheck Support 8 channel DTS-HD audio decoding and check DTS capable receiver or that doesn't matter?


#26

@RiesjartsPlex said:
What are the best audio setting for me? I have te RPi connected via HDMI to Amplifier, Amplifier connected via HDMI to TV
RasPlex:~ # tvservice -a
PCM supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max samplesize 24 bits.
AC3 supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max rate 640 kb/s.
DTS supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max rate 1536 kb/s.
EAC3 supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max rate 8 kb/s.
DTS_HD supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 8 kb/s.
MLP supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 8 kb/s.

My settings are now:
Audio output device HDMI
Number of channels 5.1
Support 8 channel DTS-HD audio decoding Checked
Enable passthrough Checked
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver checked
Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver checked
DTS capable receiver Selection unavailable

Is it better to uncheck Support 8 channel DTS-HD audio decoding and check DTS capable receiver or that doesn't matter?

How many speakers do you have connected to the receiver?


#27

How many speakers do you have connected to the receiver?

My setup is 5.1, 5 speakers and a subwoofer.


#28

Better to pass DTS through if your receiver can handle it.

Support 8 channel DTS-HD audio decoding Checked
Converts DTS into PCM on the rPI. Best to offload that to the receiver if you can.


#29

@benjaminwolf said:
Better to pass DTS through if your receiver can handle it.

Support 8 channel DTS-HD audio decoding Checked
Converts DTS into PCM on the rPI. Best to offload that to the receiver if you can.

Thanks!
Ok so its better to uncheck Support 8 channel DTS-HD audio decoding and check DTS capable receiver Selection. i'll do that


#30

I have a question.
I've connected my RasPlex unit to my LG TV. My LG TV is connected to a SPDIF to RCA unit and connected to a 5.1 sound set, mapping it right, I've tested with an AC3 file and every channel goes right where it should. The unit also decodes DTS sound and few other formats. However, when I run the command I get that as answer

PCM supported: Max channels: 2, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max samplesize 24 bits.
AC3 supported: Max channels: 6, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max rate 640 kb/s.
So, should I still enable the DTS Pasthrough, so it sends it through the cable to the TV and TV to the decoder (passthrough enabled on TV too)? Also, should I still set 2.0 config for PCM even if the TV's speakers are disabled and everything goes to the 5.1 set? (I've made a quick test with the Blue-Ray editions of NGE with 5.1 FLAC audio and Misato's voice is no where to be found, until I set the config to 2.0, and some voices are really quiet, but are sent to the back speakers).


#31

@Spiderm@n said:
I have a question.
I've connected my RasPlex unit to my LG TV. My LG TV is connected to a SPDIF to RCA unit and connected to a 5.1 sound set, mapping it right, I've tested with an AC3 file and every channel goes right where it should. The unit also decodes DTS sound and few other formats. However, when I run the command I get that as answer

PCM supported: Max channels: 2, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max samplesize 24 bits.
AC3 supported: Max channels: 6, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max rate 640 kb/s.
So, should I still enable the DTS Pasthrough, so it sends it through the cable to the TV and TV to the decoder (passthrough enabled on TV too)? Also, should I still set 2.0 config for PCM even if the TV's speakers are disabled and everything goes to the 5.1 set? (I've made a quick test with the Blue-Ray editions of NGE with 5.1 FLAC audio and Misato's voice is no where to be found, until I set the config to 2.0, and some voices are really quiet, but are sent to the back speakers).

SPDIF supports AC3/DTS surround sound but doesn't support PCM for more than 2 channels. I would be surprised if you were getting DTS passthrough with that report. Most likely your TV doesn't have the license.

Try setting:
Channels to 2.0
Enable Passthrough
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver
Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding

That should encode everything to AC3 so it passes through to the correct speakers for surround sound over the SPDIF.


#32

@benjaminwolf said:
Better to pass DTS through if your receiver can handle it.

Support 8 channel DTS-HD audio decoding Checked
Converts DTS into PCM on the rPI. Best to offload that to the receiver if you can.

Just trying to get clarification, as that seems at odds as what's recommended in Ned's guide. With a 5.1 speaker setup, and a reciever that supports DTS-HD_MA, you're saying it's better to leave DTS-HD unchecked, and instead have DTS checked.

Thanks for the help!

~Spritz


#33

Hi, i'm new to Rasplex
I have this configuration:
RPi connected via HDMI to AV reciever, AV reciever connected via HDMI to TV

When AV reciever is turned ON I get the following Information.
PCM supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max samplesize 24 bits.
AC3 supported: Max channels: 6, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max rate 640 kb/s.
DTS supported: Max channels: 7, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max rate 1536 kb/s.
DTS_HD supported: Max channels: 8, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max rate 8 kb/s.

When AV reciever is turned OFF (AV reciever bypass HDMI signals to TV) I get the following Information.
PCM supported: Max channels: 2, Max samplerate: 192kHz, Max samplesize 24 bits.
AC3 supported: Max channels: 6, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max rate 640 kb/s.

So, according to the pdf i configured my Audio Settings as follows:
Audio Output HDMI
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver Checked
Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver Unchecked
DTS capable receiver Unchecked
Support 8 channel DTS-HD audio decoding Checked
Audio output channels 5.1

When AV reciever is turned ON I hear 5.1 Audio through AV reciever. It's working nice.
But when AV reciever is turned OFF there is no audio on TV or I hear left/right channels only (not center/surround channels).
So, I make decision that Rasplex can not downmix 5.1 Audio to stereo automatically. How to fix it?
All my previous video players and IPTV player could do this.


#34

Hello everybody,

I would like to better understand the "tvservice" command. I have the following setup:

RPI3 -> Yamaha RX-V481 (AVR) -> Panasonic L47ETW50

Even though my AVR seems to decode files with 5.1 sound both AC3 and DTS, "tvservice -a" only returns:

PCM supported: Max channels: 2, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max samplesize 16 bits.

I would have expected that it also returns information on AC3 and DTS support. Any idea why this doesn't happen?

Thank you for your help.


#35

tvservice is not installed on OpenPHT-Embedded 1.8.0 running on the odroid C2. Does anybody have a link to the source code of tvservice so that I can compile and run myself. I've been looking for a while and cant seem to track it down or find it in the rasplex & openpht repositories. Thanks!