Long post, trying to be explicit. Thanks for helping!
Hi all. I am a new (week-old) Plex user, and I have been loving it so far. I have been running Plex Media Server (PMS) V18.104.22.16802 on my QNAP TS-251 for a week, and I even managed to get the HW transcoding to work (even 1080p seems to go well). Very awesome. In my attempts to verify my Plex setup was secure enough for external access, I did a full remove of PMS off of my QNAP yesterday. Now that I have reinstalled it, I cannot access my PMS, even through the local IP address https://192.168.x.x:32400/. I am a bit confused as to what is going on. Below is the full rundown of what is going on.
I have a TS-251 running QTS 4.3.4.0435
1) First I had installed PMS through the QNAP AppCenter: V22.214.171.1243
2) After setting it up, Plex warned me there is a newer one. So I downloaded the .qpk from Plex, and installed V126.96.36.19902
3) In Hybrid station I am running Plex Home Theatre, and I have an android app and iOS app. All have been working well.
4) After uninstalling CodecPack through the QNAP AppCenter, even the HW transcoding works, and I have confirmed that I can stream 1080p content transcoded from external connections. Very cool
5) I set up Plex to only allow (require) secure connections.
6) I stopped the PMS through the QNAP AppCenter
7) I verified I could still stream content from any of my apps -- I figured perhaps the old PMS was still running? I decided to uninstall PMS to check
8) After uninstalling PMS, nothing streamed anymore, confirming that PMS was simply still running after 'stopping' it through the QNAP AppCenter.
9) I re-installed PMS through the .qpk of V188.8.131.5202
10) PMS is not reachable in any of my apps, and I cannot access PMS through https://192.168.x.x:32400/. I am getting a message about a faulty certificate, and if I access with the insecure http://192.168.x.x:32400/ I am getting the content of some XML file.
I have checked out the page describing how to fix a situation where you are locked out, but it does not describe how to do it for QNAP. Even more so, doing a grep for 'PlexOnlineHome' in the /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/PlexMediaServer does not yield any config files that match. I have read the QNAP FAQ, and I have searched the forum.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? In general, some information on how Plex actually works would be great, so that I can decide on how to set up a secure environment. Is the following description accurate?
PMS simply runs a web server on port 32400 (e.g. https://192.168.0.xxx:32400), with a certificate from https://plex.tv? And PMS registers its WAN IP address so that plex.tv can link to that IP address? Or is there something more complicated going on?
Also, it seems that Plex Home Theater from the Hybrid Station is still able to play my content. Even now that I have uninstalled PMS, I can still access my content through Plex Home Theater. Is it not using PMS at all?
Thanks a lot!