Recent update killed Roku and XBox One local network playing (buffers at 13%)



I have beta turned on for updates, but found that the recent update screwed up both my Roku Ultra and Xbox One from playing from Plex. Android phone and older Samsung Plex app still playing fine...

I found others in the past that had some luck with logging out of the app on Roku and back in to correct the issue. It didn't for me.

Rebooting the box, no change
Uninstalling plex and reinstalling again, no change.

Any video prepares to start, but sits at 13%, sometimes 33% but doesn't play.

Rebooting server, running all updates on it, rebooting entire network, no changes...

Any suggestions? I love the platform, but prefer when its not being difficult... :smiley:


Quickie question… I assume you’re able to browse your material from all of the client devices, if it stalls at the play attempt, right?

If so, recreate the issue, wait a few minutes and then post your full set of zipped logs. Note the approximate time and the name of the file you were trying to play. A Ninja will likely swoop in and start pegging the issue.


You may also need your logs from your Roku and Xbox One. While I have no idea how to get Xbox One logs to get Roku logs do the following:

  1. If you are in the Roku app exit it.
  2. Reenter the app
  3. Attempt a playback that fails
  4. In a web browser go to http://AddressOfYourRoku:8324/logs
  5. Copy the text found there into your clipboard
  6. Use an editor and create a text file containing the text from the Roku
  7. Save that file under a name that is meaningful to you
  8. Attach that file along with the above logs here
  9. Wait patiently for a response

Number 9 is optional


Thanks for the quick responses! I’ll grab the logs tonight and send them over. To answer the Quickie question… I can browse the content from any device. On the Roku and Xbox One, notice a delay in the images appearing on screen. Slower than normal 2 - 5 seconds for the show art images to populate. That’s usually the indicator to me that I’ll likely have a buffering issue.


Roku/Plex Newbie here so bear with me. I am experiencing the same issue of not being able to initially stream many of my movies on either of my Roku Ultras. It hangs at 13% or 33%. What I have found is many of my movies are converted to MKV with 2 audio streams, TruHD and AC3. If I change the setting for the movie on the Roku to the 2nd audio stream, typically AC3, then the movie will play. It does not seem to matter if the VIDEO is direct play or being transcoded.

Hope this helps