Regularly swap media libraries

server-linux

A little backstory: We are moving onto a sailboat soon. Over the past year, I've built up a PMS on an odroid XU4 octo-core device. Currently, my library lives on a 4TB external spinning drive. Due to the motion of the boat, I want to avoid spinning disks and go to SSDs. I don't want to hassle with a RAID as we may be away from sources of new drives for quite some time. Rather than build out a NAS of SSDs, I want to have separate libraries of media on different SSDs. For example, I could have one drive for my movies, one drive for my wife's movies and a third drive for our combined media. This way, if one drive gets corrupted, we don't lose the entire array, just that sub-library.

How will Plex handle swapping out the entire media library on a regular basis? Is there a better way to deal with this type of situation?

Thanks

@reveller said:
Over the past year, I’ve built up a PMS on an odroid XU4 octo-core device.
Impressive. We don’t support that device so I’m surprised it runs.

How will Plex handle swapping out the entire media library on a regular basis? Is there a better way to deal with this type of situation?

Plex should be fine. It will just mark the other libraries as “unavailable”. You will need to make sure that when you add the drive back, they get mounted exactly as they were before. PMS needs the exact path to match, it will not dynamically change the path if the drive is mounted differently.

Thanks for the info. From your comment, I take it that I should I mount each drive at a separate mount points. I should just need to umount the outgoing drive, physically swap in the incoming drive and then mount it to its own, separate /mnt/ point. Correct?

Yeah. Make each drive it’s own media library and each library will point to it’s respective mount point. So you will see 3, 4, 5, etc. libraries, but only the one that is mounted will work. If you want to mount more than one, you can. If you want it so only the library and the drive you have mounted will show, that is more difficult to accomplish.

If I may augment?

It is possible to have Linux preconfigured with different mount points based on the UUID of the file system.

This as the foundation, you can ‘swap out’ SSDs when power is off.
When the system boots, Linux will mount the SSD at the location PMS is expecting it.
PMS will then see the media files for that section.

The only caveat here is to make sure PMS does not remove any 'Not Available" media (those library sections which are unplugged) during normal library scans and maintenance.

If you look in Linux Tips at the top of this forum , you’ll see how I show USB media. Swapping SSD media is the same technique.

Thank you both for your helpful information. I will head out this weekend to buy a few drives and start segmenting out my libraries and do some experimenting.

@ChuckPA I will definitely use UUID-based mount points. Thanks for the reminder!