Samsung KS models and HDR

smart-tv

Hello,
I'm planning on buying Samsung KS7000 TV and was wondering if samsung plex application support HDR metadata and 4k in general? I know that there are some BT2020 videos coming out, just want to check if I need any external player, like Shield TV or am I going to be fine just with TV

I have a 65ks7000 and can confirm that the builtin plex app streams 4k and hdr to this tv. Limit is 60 Mbps. Higher bitrate is displayed but occasional stuttering might happen. Subtitles present a problem: transcoding happens always in this case and none of my plex server (Synology 1813+ or Shield TV or PC wit I5 2500K O:C to 4,4 Ghz) can fluently transcode 4K.
I' m on a gigabit LAN but connect the TV through AC router at 866 Mbps because it only has a 100 Mbps ethernet interface.

I also own the Samsung 4KBD K8500 and it has another plex client. I believe it's the 2015 ORCA version which is much better in that sense that it uses the TV's api to display supported subtitles which is great since no transcoding occurs that way and direct play is great on this set.

@vanloobe said:
I have a 65ks7000 and can confirm that the builtin plex app streams 4k and hdr to this tv. Limit is 60 Mbps. Higher bitrate is displayed but occasional stuttering might happen. Subtitles present a problem: transcoding happens always in this case and none of my plex server (Synology 1813+ or Shield TV or PC wit I5 2500K O:C to 4,4 Ghz) can fluently transcode 4K.
I' m on a gigabit LAN but connect the TV through AC router at 866 Mbps because it only has a 100 Mbps ethernet interface.

I also own the Samsung 4KBD K8500 and it has another plex client. I believe it's the 2015 ORCA version which is much better in that sense that it uses the TV's api to display supported subtitles which is great since no transcoding occurs that way and direct play is great on this set.

Thank you, this is the answer I was waiting for!
Do you think 60Mbps limit is more of a plex application limit or hardware?

It is a limitation of the hardware. 60 Mbps for h264 and 80 Mbps for H265. Take a look at the capabilities matrix:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00050186/#5

Thanks @vanloobe for your help, I have all answers I need :)

@vanloobe said:

Hi Vanloobe,

Thanks for your post but wanted to ask you a confirming question that I have researched and can not find an answer. I have the UN65KS9800 and can not get the Plex (Samsung Tizen App) to play HDR.

I have a windows 10 box that I use for Steam and home theater, while on HDMI that the windows 10 box is using I can get HDR working by selecting a few games that support HDR.

During this time a badge comes on the screen that says, now showing in HDR similar to a xbox notification/achievement. When using the Plex Media Player (Windows downloaded app) not the the Windows 10 store app I was not able to get HDR working with Plex even though I can get my computer to do it with Steam.

Since then I have used the Samsung Tizen Plex app and I can play the 4K HDR sample files I see no notification about playing HDR when using Steam. I have about 5 HDR sample files and all play within 45-60mpbs not stutter I can not get the badge that says HDR is enabled. Some sample files look extra vibrant (over saturated) instead what you would expect with HDR.

How are you confirming that you are actually playing HDR? No matter what I do that badge for HDR does not show.

You can also press info on the remote while in Windows 10 + Steam and the TV set will show the information about the screen resolution and an HDR badge will be there too!

But when using the Plex app on the Samsung Tizen the info button is locked to show you info about Plex which is neat that log does not show an HDR badge and the Samsung info will not show on the screen because the button command is ignored.

I can play Steam\Origin in HDR+ATMOS , Xbox one S 4K UHD HDR, Plex with Atmos MKV's in all resolutions but can not confirm that the metadata is being used while using Plex.

I think I ran into another LG user who said the badge did show for them but my experience is not working for some reason. Can you please share how you are confirming that Metadata is actually being used? Not trying to troll but just asking for your advice / opinions.

(Also I did notice the Samsung Youtube app showing an HDR badge (inside the youtube app - NOT ON SCREEN) on HDR videos being played at this time the notification did NOT coming the screen.

I wonder if the Tizen apps do not show the badge I am using to seeing on HDMI 1,2 and 3?

The badge is helpful because while HDR is cool and I have seen some effects in good use on the Deadpool UHD, HDR does not pop in every scene like some people may think so seeing the badge is helpful.

Thanks and please let us know how your are confirming the HDR metadata is being used in your samples.

Just tested again for a 10 minutes and can see during the YouTube app playing a confirmed HDR video there is a YouTube app badge that shows HDR on the video and is enabled.

During this time the Samsung TV DOES NOT show its own pop up that an HDR video is playing like the Xbox ONE or Windows 10 box on the HDMI ports.

I am starting the think that the Tizen apps do not show the badge I am speaking of, while the samples look good color wise I can not confirm that the MKV's playing are using the Metadata.

I think many users believe that every scene will blow you away with HDR it does not. when watching Deadpool it had it moments for sure but its not apparent all the time making testing this a bit hard because when the Tizen apps are running the info button on the Samsung remote is overridden.

That button allows users to pull down the simple stats being showed on the screen (HDMI2, UHD Color, 3840x2160 60p, HDR Enabled)

I bet if this button was not overridden I can pull down that screen while using Tizen apps but it just does not work. I even tried with my Harmony and the button command is taken over by the Tizen app.

=(

So my conclusion at this point is .... I do not know if Plex is actually using the Metadata.

For me, if I play an HDR MKV file using the Plex app on my Samsung, I get horrible colour -- washed out looking, lots of banding, etc. If I use the TV's "Source" option to select Plex as a server, and use the (DNLA?) app for native playback -- using the same file -- I get much better quality colour, no banding, looks great.

There's no "Playing HDR" popup when using this method, but when I pause the video, there's an HDR badge beside the play/pause buttons. It seems to me that the Plex app isn't handling HDR files correctly on Tizen.

So, there is no definite answer if HDR works or not?
@miketja is yours KS7000?

Mine's a KS7500.

Let me clarify and correct myself, now I've done a bit more testing. Firstly, all of my UHD content was being transcoded, though that wasn't clear from the Plex app on the TV (it still showed 4k, original, 66mbps, etc.) I solved that issue by removing my account and setting it up again, as for some bizarre reason Plex on the TV was convinced my Plex Server was "remote" -- even though it was on the same LAN. Ploughing through the logs showed it was making Direct Play decisions based on remote criteria and was transcoding all UHD content even though I had remote quality set to Original too.

Anyway, once I got that fixed, the video stopped being transcoded and that solved the quality and colour-space issues with BT.2020 10-bit sources. So, I can confirm that UHD HDR HEVC video plays in Plex, though as others have pointed out there's no HDR badge or notification like with other Tizen apps, so I don't really know if the TV is properly switching to HDR mode. What I can say is that the colour-space issues I could see visually before are better now Direct Play is working for me.

I still have to faff about with the audio settings on the TV (PCM vs DTS vs Dolby for my HDMI-ARC connected AV amp) to get the audio to not be transcoded too -- it seems streaming buffers constantly when the audio is being transcoded, even though the video isn't... but that's another issue and not for this thread. :-)

Sorry if my previous statements were confusing.

• Mike

http://demo-uhd3d.com/

Trying these HDR-videos with Plex and its not working at all.
But if playing the from the TVs "Source" and then my shared movies it works without any problems. So Im guessing Plex doesnt support something here? Or why cant I play these movies with Plex? I have 75KS8005 (75KS7000) TV.

@miketja said:
Let me clarify and correct myself, now I've done a bit more testing. Firstly, all of my UHD content was being transcoded, though that wasn't clear from the Plex app on the TV (it still showed 4k, original, 66mbps, etc.) I solved that issue by removing my account and setting it up again, as for some bizarre reason Plex on the TV was convinced my Plex Server was "remote" -- even though it was on the same LAN. Ploughing through the logs showed it was making Direct Play decisions based on remote criteria and was transcoding all UHD content even though I had remote quality set to Original too.

Anyway, once I got that fixed, the video stopped being transcoded and that solved the quality and colour-space issues with BT.2020 10-bit sources. So, I can confirm that UHD HDR HEVC video plays in Plex, though as others have pointed out there's no HDR badge or notification like with other Tizen apps, so I don't really know if the TV is properly switching to HDR mode. What I can say is that the colour-space issues I could see visually before are better now Direct Play is working for me.

I still have to faff about with the audio settings on the TV (PCM vs DTS vs Dolby for my HDMI-ARC connected AV amp) to get the audio to not be transcoded too -- it seems streaming buffers constantly when the audio is being transcoded, even though the video isn't... but that's another issue and not for this thread. :-)

Sorry if my previous statements were confusing.

• Mike

I think that confirms that it works with Plex app on TV. Thanks :)

When Im trying the videos I posted earlier here they are transcoded also?
I have my TV hardwired with to the same router that the Plex server is hardwired to.
I guess thats why it keeps buffering and not able to play them here? How can I change this behaviour?

EDIT: Also when I removed the "remote access" I suddenly can play the files without buffering. (!!!)

Still having problems again with this. It says its Direct Play but i keeps buffering. I have a I7 3770 CPU.