Samsung UE40MU6400 TV with Plex App Playback issue

smart-tv

Hello
I run a Plex Media Server and share my content across many devices as I work away a fair bit. I installed the App on iPhone, iPad, Android Media Player (connected to Panasonic TV with no app), and 3 Samsung TV's.
The older 1080P TV's work fine. I also have a 4K Samsung TV hooked up too just to test it (but I use this TV as a large computer monitor).
In my bedroom I have a new Samsung UE40MU6400 which is a 40" 4K TV. This TV use to see the Plex Server as a "Source" and would stream content that way, but it was odd looking. just a load of folders with files in them, but it would play.
I decided to install the Plex APP as it was available in the choices. All linked up and shows me all my content, just like every other device. But when I hit PLAY, nothing happens. Nothing at all.
this confuses me greatly as everything else works. I can see all the content. It updates correctly when I add new content. Media information is grabbed where available to tag the files. But hit play and nothing. Screen does not show any attempt at playing the media. Doesn't matter which media it is either. Just won't play.
I have uninstalled and re-installed the App. it is the latest version for the Samsung TV.
Plex works on all my other Samsung TV's and devices. It's doing my head in to be honest.
PLEX as a "Source" has disappeared as an option too some time ago.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Has anyone any suggestions on how to get it going?
Thanks in advance

I have the same issue - I have several Samsung TVs in the house and all work ok but my new UE40MU6400 also refuses to playback anything via plex - I can play media by choosing my NAS as a source but that is a faff compared to using Plex. I will keep searching and update if I find anything.

same issue here incredibly frustrating. i have the mu7000. Hoping just hoping someone can shed some light on this

Just a bit of an update if anyone from PLEX happens to read this. I couldn't see anyway of raising a support ticket.
If I select something to play, nothing happens, but if I wait long enough I do end up with this error message.
"There was a problem playing this item"
PLAYER_ERROR_CONNECTION_FAILED:
Appears underneath. Maybe that means something to the PLEX support crew. I'm certain it can be fixed if we get their attention to it.

@Hotpl4te said:
Just a bit of an update if anyone from PLEX happens to read this. I couldn't see anyway of raising a support ticket.
If I select something to play, nothing happens, but if I wait long enough I do end up with this error message.
Appears underneath. Maybe that means something to the PLEX support crew. I'm certain it can be fixed if we get their attention to it.

i really hope someone can get back to us regarding this issue. i am in the same boat

I've found an email address to use
support@plex.tv
I am going to email the above to that address to draw attention to the issue. It would help if others did too.

Well 2 months later an no different for me. Really frustrating.

the issue appears to be with the secure connection.. if you disable secure connection on the server it works, but this is unacceptable

@petemacmanus said:
the issue appears to be with the secure connection.. if you disable secure connection on the server it works, but this is unacceptable

Why, it's your viewing device that's not compliant not PMS.

If concerned about security visit Steve Gibson Website about double Nat and or Router VPN solution that encrypts everything. PIA offer some great solutions.

https://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm

so a tv (Samsung UA50MU6100W) that was literally bought yesterday updated to latest samsung code, (T-KTMUABC-1151.0) running Plex media Player 3.2.2 is on the same network subnet as the plex server 1.12.0.4829 is non compliant.
the issue seen was this

I have gone through all settings, default, and non default.. focusing on specifically the player first.
once failed here, reverted back to default settings.
once I got nowhere on the player I attempted a number of settings on the server.
Required secure connection
preferred secure connection
disabled secure connection
The last one worked, but is not a good setting to use

and based on the different posts around this issue for the last 18 months doesnt seem to show any movement on a fix.

Yep i can confirm that you have to disable secure connection, as i have the same problem with my 4K Samsung 40" TV. Considering how many smart TV's that are out there you would have thought the secure issue would be sorted by now, but as previous comment there does not look like there will be a fix for this issue.

In the Samsung client I disabled secure connection for local server. You don't need encryption on you own local network so just disable it on the client. Leave it enabled on the server, you'll need it if you're accessing Plex from Internet.