Shield TV AAC 5.1 files no surround sound only stereo

server-nvidia-shield

#1

My reciever doesn't support AAC files - however in the past the Shield would pass five discreate channels as PCM to my reciever - however of late (several months) it only sends out a stereo signal. Wondering if I've set something stupidly - any thoughts appreciated.


#2

what are your audio settings on shield itself and app?


#3

@BigWheel said:
what are your audio settings on shield itself and app?

The Shield surround mode is set to automatic, The Plex app is set for Audio Passthrough Auto.

Interestingly enough - if I use the Shield TV as a google cast (as cast from my phone) effectively bypassing the plex app I get 5.1 digital (showing on my reciever as dolby digital)

Any thoughts appreciated


#4

In the audio settings, try changing surround sound to always.


#5

@kentemplin said:
In the audio settings, try changing surround sound to always.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it didn't make a difference.


#6

strange i have the same setting and works fine ( my receiver does not do aac either and shows it is PCM )

have you changed any setting on your receiver. is your receiver set to straight/direct out put ( or whatever it is called on your receiver when not using any fancy post processing )


#7

@BigWheel said:
strange i have the same setting and works fine ( my receiver does not do aac either and shows it is PCM )

have you changed any setting on your receiver. is your receiver set to straight/direct out put ( or whatever it is called on your receiver when not using any fancy post processing )

Apologise for the very late reply - have been away - too answer your question (if you can remember what we were discussing) the reciever settings are set to not do any post processing (straight signal).

I should have have perhaps added (and now that I think about it this might well be the source of my problems) that I am using the ARC on my TV HDMI to route audio to the reciever. This is primarily because my TV is 4k but my Reciever is older and doesn't support 4k so I'm using my TV as the switcher. I have a Sony TV, when using the Plex app on the Sony TV 5.1AAC files don't get coverted either.

I rather suspect I've got my answer but any thoughts appreciated