Should the Plex DLNA server be analyzing media all the time?

server-dlna

How often should the Plex DLNA server analyze media?

My PMS runs on Mac OS X El Capitan.

I have Plex running on the following devices: Apple TV4, Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, LG Smart TV.

I left an MKV file remuxing in Subler and when I returned 30mins later it wasn't even 20% complete. This normally takes 1 minute max. I checked Activity Monitor and the Plex DLNA server was using up 100% of one core. That still shouldn't be causing anything else to run slow as there were 3 cores untouched.

So, I shut Plex down to see what happened, and the file that was remuxing finished in under 20 seconds.

I checked the logs and the DLNA server was analyzing every media item in my library. I restarted PMS and allowed the DLNA server to finish. Then a few hours later the same thing happened. It started analyzing ALL media again. Doing the exact same thing it did a few hours earlier, but there'd been no changes to the library.

This has been going on for weeks now. The DLNA server analyzes every media item multiple times each day.

Is this normal? It seems a tad excessive.

I have a huge library, 3,000 movies. But my library has always been large and I've never had any issues before.

I don't know if it's always been like this as I've never noticed any performance issues to warrant constantly checking Activity Monitor.

Here is an example of what the log shows for every media item:

Oct 25, 2016 17:02:36.119 [0x700000f6b000] DEBUG - MDE: analyzing media item 3416
Oct 25, 2016 17:02:36.119 [0x700000f6b000] DEBUG - MDE: Boyhood (2014): Direct Playing due to no transcode profile
Oct 25, 2016 17:02:36.119 [0x700000f6b000] DEBUG - MDE: Boyhood (2014): Direct Play is disabled
Oct 25, 2016 17:02:36.119 [0x700000f6b000] DEBUG - MDE: Boyhood (2014): no direct play video profile exists for http/mp4/h264
Oct 25, 2016 17:02:36.119 [0x700000f6b000] DEBUG - MDE: Boyhood (2014): no direct play video profile exists for http/mp4/h264/aac
Oct 25, 2016 17:02:36.119 [0x700000f6b000] DEBUG - Boyhood - video.width limitation applies: 1920 > 320
Oct 25, 2016 17:02:36.119 [0x700000f6b000] DEBUG - MDE: Boyhood (2014): selected media 0 / 3416
Oct 25, 2016 17:02:36.123 [0x700000f6b000] DEBUG - MDE: received PLEX_PROTOCOL_ANY from client, but could not determine best protocol. Defaulting to HTTP

Now I don't know much about this kind of thing, but each line seems to contradict the one above. It spews out exactly the same for every media item in my library over and over again.

that is not a regular analysis but is analysing how best to play something back which should only happen when something is about to be played. The client is whatever player that is making the request. but none of those you mentinoed is DLNA ( well the smart tv might have a DLNA player) .

If you are sure there is not a DLNA player in your home I would just turn off the DLNA server. You can do that in Settings>Server>DLNA

definitely odd though

Thanks for the reply, @BigWheel.

@BigWheel said:
that is not a regular analysis but is analysing how best to play something back which should only happen when something is about to be played. The client is whatever player that is making the request. but none of those you mentinoed is DLNA ( well the smart tv might have a DLNA player) .

That's what it seemed liked it was doing. But it does that for EVERY media item in my library, multiple times per day.

I had no idea what was classed as DLNA.

The Fire TV Stick was the only client that was being used at the time, as that's the one I have in my office.

If you are sure there is not a DLNA player in your home I would just turn off the DLNA server. You can do that in Settings>Server>DLNA

I'll turn it off, if it's definitely not needed for the clients I use?

definitely odd though

Indeed. Is there any way something/someone externally is accessing my Plex server via DLNA?

DLNA is a local protocol so it would have to be a device on your local subnet. to be clear i am not saying there might not be some really weird bug causing to happen. but the log snippet you posted indicate there is some client asking for it

MDE: received PLEX_PROTOCOL_ANY from client

Bizarre.

I've turned off the DLNA server now and all clients working fine, including the Smart TV.

So there are no clients that should've been requesting anything from the DLNA server.

It all seems really odd. Perhaps a really weird bug?

Thanks again for your reply.

I have the same issue with DLNA and leave it turned off except for when I need to use the SmartShare app in my LG. It redlines my i3-6300 for hours; usage drops down from 100% to 3% as soon as I switch it off.

Have you ever sorted this out? I just noticed I am experiencing something very similar...