So, after working to get sharing up and running and reading what is posted on the GeForce boards, it looks like the Shield SMB needs some work to get various bugs fixed. So far:
- You can't share any Active Directory machines. So, that means no Windows Server 2008R2/2012R2 right now.
- On the computer/NAS you want to connect to, create a directory that will be shared and make sure it has no spaces in it. Examples are: plex, plexmovies, my_movies. There seems to be a problem with any spaces in the root directory that will be shared on any sharing device, be it a PC or NAS. Directories inside the main share can have spaces.
- On Windows, when you share the directory you also need to set the permissions for it and add the specific user. It doesn't seem to work unless you do that.
- On Windows, under Advanced Sharing, make sure you have file and printer sharing enabled and also set HomeGroup sharing to "Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers."
- On Windows, you may need to create a local user for sharing. Give that user a password, because you cannot share in Windows with a blank password unless you edit the local security policy and enable that. Windows Live logins might not work with sharing on the local machine.
- The Shield has issues with some NAS devices, so if you have problems with usernames / passwords, it might not be you doing anything wrong.
- You do not need to and should not disable your Windows firewall. Windows shares are designed to work through the firewall. Disabling the firewall only adds to sharing problems.
- Transferring large files over SMB from a computer to the Shield is hit or miss. I have never had a single 20+GB file transfer successfully to adopted storage on the Shield TV. Every time the Shield locks up and then the adopted storage becomes unavailable.
An example of setting up a share on a Windows computer:
On the D drive, create a directory called plex. Inside that directory create your media directories, like movies, music, and pictures.
Right click on the plex directory and enable sharing for specific people, then pick the user you created. Give the user full access. Then, right click on the folder and select properties, sharing, and advanced sharing. Click permissions and add the user you created. Give it full access.
Go to the Shield and try to set up a network share with that computer. If everything is working right, you can just click on the computer and enter your username and password. Then you can go to the Plex web app, create/modify a library, browse for media, and your share should be listed.
This is just what I've found. If you try something and it doesn't work, or you find another way to share, please post here so we can have a one-stop shopping place for setting up network shares.