Sonos - "No Plex Media Server Available"

sonos

Hello. I've searched these forums but did not find an answered post addressing this specific issue.

When trying to play Plex content from my NAS through my Sonos iOS app or through the Sonos app on my Macbook, I get the following error: "No Plex Media Server available. Please make sure your Plex media server is accessible."

I AM able to play content from the Plex server through the native Plex app on both the iPhone and Macbook.

Sonos support asked me to remove and re-add the Plex music service, which I did, and advised "If you are receiving the same error message, and you are able to play from the native Plex application on the iPhone/Macbook, it would indicate there is an issue with the Plex service passing information to Sonos. In this instance, we can only recommend you reach out to Plex for further support."

Product version details:
- Sonos iOS controller app: v8.4 build 41350132
- Macbook app: v8.4, build 41350131
- NAS: Synology DSM216Play, DSM version DSM 6.1.5-15254 Update 1
- Plex Media Server: 1.10.0.4253-648bc61d4

Any help gratefully accepted.

Hi there - It doesn’t look like your PMS is remotely accessible. While the native apps are able to test the LAN connection, the Sonos service runs in the cloud and hence needs the PMS to be remotely accessible in order to function.

Thanks, John. Any pointers to how to make the media server remotely accessible, then?

Nevermind - found it. Thanks.

Pleased to see Plex for Sonos is now out of Beta, however when trying to access my Plex Cloud server, I get ‘No Plex Media Server available’ message. I can access my Plex Cloud through the app and on the web. What’s the problem with Sonos / Plex Cloud?

@DekGray said:
Pleased to see Plex for Sonos is now out of Beta, however when trying to access my Plex Cloud server, I get ‘No Plex Media Server available’ message. I can access my Plex Cloud through the app and on the web. What’s the problem with Sonos / Plex Cloud?

Same problem here. No problem connecting remotely from web or IOS apps, Sonos in the house reports “No Plex Media Server Available”. Seemingly since the app has come out of beta… I’ve removed all authorisations and re-authorised, still no banana!

yep, should have added that I have removed and reauthorised Plex a few times, but - like you say, still no banana :frowning:

Had same problem and manually installed latest Plex version and it worked from my NAS.

I know it will work from the local PMS, but I moved over to Plex Cloud because my collection was reaching the limits of my NAS capacity.

Plex cloud for Sonos stopped working for me over 2 months ago…I get the same error.

Unfortunately there are some technical challenges when using Plex Cloud with Sonos so it has been disabled as a source PMS. It’s below the minimum version that contains the Sonos playback profile, and it can be slow and result in frequent timeouts and errors in the Sonos service.

Thanks John for the response although this is a disappointing outcome. What’s the plans for addressing this issue?

I have the same issue and haven’t found a solution.

Hi, any further news?