Sony Android TV and 5.1 Audio

android-tv
fire-tv

I have a Sony XBR-55A1E (Android TV) and a Sony STR-DN1080 connected via HDMI 3 ARC. Netflix and other sources from the TV will output Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, but the Plex client will only output 2 channel linear PCM. Interestingly enough my TiVo Bolt+ also has a Plex client that also only outputs 2 channel linear PCM. It appears to be a limitation of the TiVo and Android TV Plex client. Has anyone else experienced this or have a fix?
Thanks in advance.

I have a Sony XBR-55x810C connected to a Yamaha rx-v630 over optical. The Plex Android app will only put out 2 channel audio to my receiver (which shows as ProLogic).

OTA tv will send DD/DTS signal to my receiver.

I plugged in my old Roku 3 which I haven't used in nearly a year, and it also sends DD/DTS to my receiver, although I found now the Roku wants to transcode literally everything.

Looks like no one has seen this before,.

I have this problem on my 65XE93 too. Done lots of Google’n without finding an answer.

same problem here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/296294/uhd-with-plex-on-sony-a1

just found lots of threads with exactly this problem but no solution. other apps do work and output 5.1

there is even one thread from two years ago that states this is a known problem and plex is in contact with sony. but that was all... no solution there.

Sounds like a Plex client issue to me.

@"Larry David" said:
Sounds like a Plex client issue to me.

I’m sure it is. Other apps on my XE93 (Netflix, Amazon Video) all pass 5.1 via ARC, just not Plex.

Hi, same problem here with a Sony 65XE9005. All other apps have no issue to pass-through 5.1 audio over optical. Only plex is outputting stereo.

I have a fancy new Sony X900E with the same issue. I’m connecting via ARC. All other apps that support it are outputting 5.1 as indicated on my Onkyo receiver.

Now here’s the twist: while Plex 5.1 content is downmixed to 2 channel PCM when played out of the on-TV Plex app, the same content from the same server Casted from my Android phone to the TV plays in 5.1 on the receiver.

Does this help ANYONE narrow down this issue?

everything but plex works with 5.1 :frowning:

with plex i can see my receiver enabling 5.1 for less than a second and then its just stereo.

Looks like the DTS/DD 5.1 issue is not just on Android client for Fire TV. See below posts… it worked back on previous versions prior to 6.5 for Android. I was able to delete new version and sideload 6.4 and I get DD 5.1 just fine… Plex will transcode DTS to AAC 5.1.

I am only posting because it appears the 5.1 issue is across platforms/clients.

Same problem for me on XBR-65A1E using HDMI ARC.
OTA, Netflix, Amazon - 5.1 works.
Plex, VLC for Android, Kodi - 2 channel linear PCM only.

Guys try PlexKodiConnect with Kodi Krypton. Just go thru Kodi’s Audio settings and you most likely you will get 5.1 out of kodi.
I don’t have Sony TV but an AndroidTV box hooked to a 5.1 amp and pretty much anything I throw at Kodi+ PKC and I will get 5.1 to my amp with passthrough.
Every time I try to use the regular Plex app for AndroidTV there is always some shortcomings and whatnot and I revert back to using PKC.

This thread seems to relate to different issues, for the Fire TV passthrough is supported in the 6.13 release except on the 2nd gen Fire TV devices as these have a bug in the firmware.

For the Sony TV setups using ARC, we are working on a solution. The Sony TV and other devices over ARC only support PCM audio with 2 channels which means we can’t locally decode multi-channel audio.

As for SPDIF we are working on support, but at the moment it’s not something that is officially supported on the Android TV client.

@sixones said:
This thread seems to relate to different issues, for the Fire TV passthrough is supported in the 6.13 release except on the 2nd gen Fire TV devices as these have a bug in the firmware.

For the Sony TV setups using ARC, we are working on a solution. The Sony TV and other devices over ARC only support PCM audio with 2 channels which means we can’t locally decode multi-channel audio.

As for SPDIF we are working on support, but at the moment it’s not something that is officially supported on the Android TV client.

The 6.13 release hasn’t fully fixed my 5.1 issues on my FireStick. AC3 files are working now, but DTS and AAC files come out as PCM Stereo

I have the same issue on my XR800E, over SPDIF to a Yamaha receiver. I can confirm the same behavior than justme1968 reported. Selecting Passthrough Enabled vs. Disabled doesn’t make a difference. Hope to see a solution soon, since this is really a downer with the otherwise great-looking Plex App on the Android TV.

@sixones said:

Waiting for SPDIF 5.1 passthrough support on Sony Andtoid TV. (nvidia shield works).