Sony TV 4K playback issues through Plex Android TV app

android-tv
fire-tv

Hi Team,

When I attempt to playback a 4K movie from my library via the Plex for Android TV app I receive an error stating my connection to the server is not fast enough, then the client will play the video pausing every 3-10 seconds to buffer.
Bitrate of movie does not appear to be cause as I have tested files 28Mbps - 40Mbps which all fail.
(Movies with the same bitrates except at 1080p play back without this issue).

TV is wired (gigabit)
Server is wired, dual Xeon with copious amounts of RAM so server power shouldn't be an issue.

4K tv shows do not appear to be affected, and playback without issue.

Any suggestions?

I have exactly the same issue. I can playback 4k Movies without any problems on a USB Stick on my TV but I can’t stream it from may MacBook Pro (Wired).

Hi, i have exactly the same problem. Wired connection

I have the same issue on a Sony KD49XD8305BU. Again, with a wired connection. The same files play perfectly on the TV via a directly attached USB drive and played fine via Plex on my Samsung 4k TV, before I sent that back. But I’ve not managed to make any 4k content play reliably or for more than a few seconds on the Sony via Plex. Please let me know what logs would be best to provide to aid in diagnosing this issue.

Anyone else?
Any ideas on how to solve?

I don’t know what the problem is. But if I connect a USB-Drive to my TV I can play the files just fine with Kodi and VLC. So it’s not the TV…

Well I finally got a response from Plex in the plexpass channel, if anyone wants to chime in.

@alternativesurfer said:
Well I finally got a response from Plex in the plexpass channel, if anyone wants to chime in.
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/244330/sony-tv-4k-playback-issues-through-plex-android-tv-app/p1?new=1

Can you summarize the response in this thread? I don’t have a PlexPass so your link will not work for me … :frowning:

Yes, i would like it too please.

Just another question, for the owners of Sony 4K TVs. Does Plex direct steam DTS for you ?
For any DTS tracks, plex forces transcoding to AC3, which is kind of strange…

Thank you !

@Link2811 said:

Just another question, for the owners of Sony 4K TVs. Does Plex direct steam DTS for you ?

Thank you !

@dstanley said:

@alternativesurfer said:
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/244330/sony-tv-4k-playback-issues-through-plex-android-tv-app/p1?new=1

Can you summarize the response in this thread? I don’t have a PlexPass so your link will not work for me … :frowning:

Just finished providing logs, but a telling error which popped up was:

Nov 17, 2016 07:22:38.153 [12312] DEBUG - MDE: Mad Max: Fury Road (2015): no direct play video profile exists for http/mkv/hevc
Nov 17, 2016 07:22:38.153 [12312] DEBUG - MDE: Mad Max: Fury Road (2015): no direct play video profile exists for http/mkv/hevc/truehd
Nov 17, 2016 07:22:38.153 [12312] DEBUG - MDE: Mad Max: Fury Road (2015): no direct play video profile exists for http/mkv/hevc/ac3

Could answer @Link2811 's question
Ill let you know what we find and update this thread when Plex replies.

Well, I don’t know that much about Plex, so I don’t know what that exactly mean. There is no direct play profile to read theses files, ok. But can we edit these profiles ?

Another test I just have done : I tried to read a movie with DTS tracks via Plex DLNA : It works perfectly. The problem is definitly from Plex side, but I don’t know if I can solve it myself.

@Link2811 said:

Thank you !

My Dad has the X94C 4K TV. I’ve been looking through my Plexivity logs in order to try and help him play things smoothly and there’s some strange results. I’ve seen:

• Recent DTS/AC3 5.1 streams being converted to AAC stereo
  • Some DTS 5.1 streams being converted to AC3 5.1
  • A DTS 5.1 stream being converted to MP3 stereo (don’t ask me why)
  • EAC3 is transcoded to AC3 - this seems to transcode the video as well #-o
  • Some past DTS/AC3 5.1 streams being converted to AAC 6 channel (no evidence of this recently)

It seems to be able to direct play AC3 5.1 for some lower bitrate content, like TV shows. I’m fine with the audio conversion but there’s a lot of video transcoding taking place which is killing my server. On the verge of setting up PlexKodiConnect for him and ditching the Plex app…

Encode to
MP4 / H265 / AC3 5.2
It will direct play
or should

Unfortunately most new Sony TVs (I have a KD65A1) only have 100Mbps wired Ethernet. Some HEVC content can hit 80Mbps, which hits the efficiency limit of 100Mbps. If you have good 802.11ac reception, you might be able to stream 4k over that.

Why in this day and age Sony only went 100Mbps is beyond me. Perhaps they didn’t think streaming would ever go beyond 100Mbps?!
Alternatively, grab an oDroid C2 with Libreelec. Plays 4k@30fps over NFS quite nicely, and supports CEC.

@rxrotorboy
Well. If you try MX Player it will play everything (for my videos it works at least) what Plex couldn’t. For example ~65mbits videos are playing (Plex already buffering such files).
In another similar topic here i was told that Plex handles buffer worse than MX Player.
If you have Synology NAS. Install Video station on NAS and DS Video + MX Player on TV. All works with such setup (no audio passthrough and sync refresh rate of course).

I have the SONY Bravia A1E, I gave up on the Android OS for PLEX streaming.

Yes, it does skip/pause if you try to pull a 4k stream/movie with DTS. If the stream has AC3 then switching to the AC3 audio will enable normal 4k play and sound. Everything works… sometimes.

I recently purchased a Roku Ultra cause the running Plex on Android/Sony TV is just a little buggy. I spend once a week maybe even twice a week rebooting the SONY TV just to fix odd issues of the TV not seeing my server. Picture this… having some food in one hand ready to eat. Drink in another. Sit down… “Alexa, turn on the TV”… then BAM … it doesnt work… reboot…wait… yaddah yaddah yaddah… lol

So far no issues with anything on ROKU… plays just fine. Passes DTS to the receiver just fine.

I also agree, why the hell Sony put a 100M network port on a modern 4k TV. Forces you to use the wireless cause the wireless has more bandwidth that 100M.

@teramax said:
I also agree, why the hell Sony put a 100M network port on a modern 4k TV. Forces you to use the wireless cause the wireless has more bandwidth that 100M.

Wireless on this TV doesn’t have more bandwidth than Ethernet.
To see it - install a file manager and copy a file over Ethernet and over WiFi. you will see that WiFi has worse download speed than the cable.
100mbits is still sufficient. I haven’t seen anything higher than 4k HDR with 15mbits on Netflix. And for majority of people it will be more than enough for the next 10 years maybe.

PS: though I have to admit some people already scratching the bottleneck with 100mbits Ethernet and poorly implemented WiFi.