Streaming Sometimes Slow through Roku Client -- What Kind of Upgrades Should I Make?

server-windows

I have a Windows server with 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Core i3 3.5Ghz, 5 Hard Drives and a 430W hard drive.

I primarily watch Plex on a Roku 3 that is hard wired into a network switch (linksys WRT54G in AP mode) the network.

My plex server also operates as a backup server (there is a nightly 8pm rsync backup routine that takes a backup over the internet) AND I also do all of my downloading on the same server... both torrents and usenet.

Sometimes the video lags. I have had a message come up that says the connection is too slow and I have also had a message come up that says something like the server doesn't have enough processing power.

Any ideas? Thanks!

The following may help. It also may not help.

1) Throttle your torrents way down during the time you normally watch TV. Torrents can use up both your network and hard disk throughput. This could affect video playback since video playback also uses disk and network.

2) Move your backup to a time when you are asleep. It also might be worth digging through the fine-print with your ISP (if you have a bandwidth cap) as some ISPs don't count usage at certain times (usually very early morning) against the bandwidth cap (this is ISP dependant).

3) Periodically reboot your devices (Roku, Linksys, server). Although this shouldn't affect things in theory. In practice hidden bugs in software can cause occasional problems and slow-downs.

@Eeek said:
The following may help. It also may not help.

1) Throttle your torrents way down during the time you normally watch TV. Torrents can use up both your network and hard disk throughput. This could affect video playback since video playback also uses disk and network.

2) Move your backup to a time when you are asleep. It also might be worth digging through the fine-print with your ISP (if you have a bandwidth cap) as some ISPs don't count usage at certain times (usually very early morning) against the bandwidth cap (this is ISP dependant).

3) Periodically reboot your devices (Roku, Linksys, server). Although this shouldn't affect things in theory. In practice hidden bugs in software can cause occasional problems and slow-downs.

1) I don't doubt it, but just to clarify... I know that the number of torrent connections can choke out even local network traffic but does simply throttling the speed down remedy that issue? Also, if I were to download to a different hard drive than I play video off of, would that help with the potential hard drive throughput issue?
2) I will... as an aside my ISP is awesome and I don't have a bandwidth cap (or at least not a hard cap).
3) I will
4) Thank you