Stuttering during direct-play



Samsung UE65JU7000 - Wired ethernet. Version 2.008
150MB virgin fibre

dual xeon e5520 @2.27Ghz with 4 cores
28GB ddr 3
gb NIC with gb internet connection
data is served locally off 14tb raid 5
Ubuntu server 16.04
Plex server Version

So, i've been looking around for a couple of weeks and haven't found anything concrete. Initially, I thought i might be falling foul of the 2.008 stuttering issue, but the more I read about it, the more it appears not.

The below is a recent example. The picture will freeze for say 2/3 seconds then continue and will happen again in random places. I've tested with different files and the same file, placement is random. From limited testing appears to be only larger mkv's (12gb plus )

Bandwidth seems more than sufficient on either end. It's not during busy / high detail scenes (hair close up, large explosions etc)
Running a top when direct-play shows server is barely being touched cpu/mem wise. bmon shows outbound traffic never peaking above 9mb/s

Anyone have any ideas?

Video Resolution 1080p
Duration 1:36:25
Bitrate 35738 kbps
Width 1920
Height 1080
Aspect Ratio 1.78
Container MKV
Video Frame Rate 24p
Audio Profile ma
Video Profile high

Duration 1:36:25
File Going in Style 2017 Remux-1080p.mkv
Size 24.07 GB
Audio Profile ma
Container MKV
Video Profile high
Codec H264
Bitrate 34202 kbps
Bit Depth 8
Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
Frame Rate 23.976 fps
Height 1080
Level 4.1
Profile high
Ref Frames 4
Scan Type progressive
Width 1920
Codec DCA
Channels 5.1
Bitrate 1536 kbps
Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
Bit Depth 24
Profile ma
Sampling Rate 48000 Hz




Works fine when transcoding or direct stream too.


Please try this: Unplug the TV from the mains for a few minutes.


Hey Orca! Tried it, left it for 10 minutes. Tried watching again ... buffer at 5 minutes 27 seconds :(


It looks like you may have a permissions issue:
ERROR - [Notify] Failed to add watch for ... (13: Permission denied)

If that happens too much the server might run out of connections.
Please check if the user that is running the PMS service has enough access rights to the files.


ok, so, just to test, i chmod'd my entire movie directory to 777 (which the majority was already to be fair) and changed plex to run as root. same issue at 3 minutes something... more logs?


If it plays fine with lower bitrate movies, it might be to much for the TV to handle.
If you have a fast server, you could try switching to Transcoding

Check this as a guide


Weird that no one has seen this before though right? I'm sure if i switch to transcoding it will work, just the loss of quality :(


Hi tachioma and Sir Orca :slight_smile:

I know this might no longer be relevant, but still. I had almost the same issue with Direct Play on my samsung UE55HU8500, wired LAN connection, via router/modem, to my iMac 21.5" late 2012.

Micro audio stutters every 30 seconds or so. It worked fine when switching to direct streaming or transcoding of course.

But I preferred to simply have direct play, as I had for years prior to upgrading to the then new samsung tv.

After some trial and error, strangely enough, when I switched from wired LAN to WiFi connection via router/modem the stutters were completely gone during direct play. Which really seems weird to me, because we all know ethernet LAN is ALWAYS better than WiFi. But oh well, if it works it works.

Hope this was perhaps useful information for you two. :slight_smile: