Subtitles Crashing New Transcoder

plex-web

Ever since the implementation of the new transcoder subtitle files are constantly crashing the transcoder.

For example if you have a subtitle showing within the first minute of a file, crash.

There are also other situations crashing the transcoder but I am not sure specifically what in the subtitles is crashing it. Prior to this forced transcoder flip to the new transcoder. (which seemed to align with the plex web app interface update) I only had like 1 file I couldn't play because of ridiculous coding for a karaoke for an anime. Which made sense. However simply having a blank sub line within the first second. Does not make sense and needs to be fixed.

anyone at all?

I have the same issue, somewhat so. If I “turn ST Off” everything works smoothly. Turning subtitles on crashes transcoder every time regardless of other setting, etc. quality at low setting. Video and ST files works smoothly with other streaming players, i.e. 5K Player, MAC Blu-Ray Player, VLC, etc. Subtitles were encoded as UTF8 encoding. Suggestions? :neutral: ?

There are two subtitles related Transcoder crashes that have been referred to the development team

Is it ASS subtitle ? or srt ?

You could provide a sample (5 minute clip) to establish if it is the same issue

@sa2000 ASS in this specific case. Any ASS file so long as a subtitle is located within a certain amount of time. If I offset that subtitle on the file manually by .5 seconds then the issue goes away, even if on the .ass file the subtitle is commented out. Don’t really have anything great to send u but I could send you one of the problem subtitle files. But I can confirm that files play no role in the error. Just the subtitles themselves. So you could literally toss this subtitle onto any file and it will break it in plex web app and crash the transcoder. I will attach two example subs one that works and one that does not as well as the font attachments for the subtitles. If you view them in a subtitle program it is lines 11 and 12. But toss em on any video and you will have a bad time.

@dragoncb234 said:
@sa2000 ASS in this specific case. Any ASS file so long as a subtitle is located within a certain amount of time. If I offset that subtitle on the file manually by .5 seconds then the issue goes away, even if on the .ass file the subtitle is commented out. Don’t really have anything great to send u but I could send you one of the problem subtitle files. But I can confirm that files play no role in the error. Just the subtitles themselves. So you could literally toss this subtitle onto any file and it will break it in plex web app and crash the transcoder. I will attach two example subs one that works and one that does not as well as the font attachments for the subtitles. If you view them in a subtitle program it is lines 11 and 12. But toss em on any video and you will have a bad time.

Thank you. I have added your files and feedback to the issue that is being investigated for ASS subtitles transcoder crashes

Another workaround I found (If that can help diagnose the issue) is disabling subs before playing the content. Then enabling them 1-2 seconds into the video. This workaround seems to have some kind of link with @dragoncb234 's 0.5 second offset workaround

File(s) : Full video transcodes of
Container : MKV
Encoding : h264
Subtitles : complex ASS subtitles. (something like that : i.imgur.com/FNdyZnO.png)
(seems to happen less often with simple ASS subtitles that only have the usual sigle line of text, where an SRT would do the same job.)

I’ve also seen workarounds on reddit to enable “Compatibility mode” to Windows 8, if you are on Windows 10.
For me this doesn’t work but does change something. Instead of crashing instantly without any image produced, it transcodes the first frames, sometimes the first few seconds before crashing like usual again

doesn’t work for all subtitles @“jseb.tessier” I suspect their are other issues at play other than just that starting time. Cuz I have skipped like halfway through an episode or just had it crash midway through. But there is certainty something wrong going on with the new trans-coder vs the old one and how it renders subtitles.

I have not had the mid-episode crash yet. But yes, there is definetly something going on with the new transcoder (or maybe something else?)

After running into this, I was messing around and found out what was causing it on my system. The subtitles were missing the milliseconds positions.

00:16:51 --> 00:16:55
Some sub text yada yada

00:16:56 --> 00:16:58
Some sub text yada yada

Should be:

00:16:51,000 --> 00:16:55,000
Some sub text yada yada

00:16:56,000 --> 00:16:58,000
Some sub text yada yada

This fixed all of my crash issues. A very fast way to fix the srt files was using this site:
http://subsyncer.com

Upload it, choose time shift, and shift by 0 milliseconds. Bam, fixed.

@rankinstudio said:
After running into this, I was messing around and found out what was causing it on my system. The subtitles were missing the milliseconds positions.

00:16:51 --> 00:16:55
Some sub text yada yada

00:16:56 --> 00:16:58
Some sub text yada yada

Should be:

00:16:51,000 --> 00:16:55,000
Some sub text yada yada

00:16:56,000 --> 00:16:58,000
Some sub text yada yada

This fixed all of my crash issues. A very fast way to fix the srt files was using this site:
http://subsyncer.com

Upload it, choose time shift, and shift by 0 milliseconds. Bam, fixed.

There would be a [Transcoder] error log entry in the Plex Media Sevrer.log when the srt is processed. The error would reference an srt temp file and logging Invalid data found when processing input

Mine had the full time but went to http://subsyncer.com and that fixed my issue - I think.

Thanks! that fixed my issue. Turns out my subtitles had periods instead of commas to separate seconds and milliseconds and that was causing plex transcoder to fail. Running it through subsyncer fixed it for me.

Hi There,

My plex server keeps crashing with error “Transcoder quit unexpectedly”, it comes up only when i use subtitles though. if i switch subs off the movie played without a hitch.

is there a workaround this?I need subtitles to work.