¿Subtitles via DLNA without transcoding?

server-dlna

It is possible? Any experience?

The only possible way with Plex is embedded subtitles via direct play.

Any transcoding or remuxing to the original file will strip out the subtitles in the new stream.

@jmckee said:
The only possible way with Plex is embedded subtitles via direct play.

Any transcoding or remuxing to the original file will strip out the subtitles in the new stream.

Thanks for taking your time to reply, jmckee.

So if i have a external .srt subtitle... the only way to play the file via DLNA without transcoding, it's embedding it in the movie/show video file? I have to do this manually file by file, or Plex does have an option that I dont know?

The easiest way I have found is using mkvmerge gui which would be a manual process.

Plex did recently release the Optimizer, but I honestly am not sure if you would be able to use this to remux the files and add the subtitle to them.

In my opinion the remuxing of subtitle into the container should be part of the "Direct Stream" feature. While Direct Stream is inserting the audio and video tracks into a new container, it could also add external subtitles as separate tracks. Some DLNA players will only display subtitles if they are embedded into the container. Doing this manually for every file with mkvmerge is a pain. Burning in subs by transcoding is not an option for many weak servers either. Remuxing on the fly should be way less taxing.