Switching Plex Server Option

server-windows

So, I am wondering if I should move my Plex server to another computer I have or if I should just wait and get a better server at a future time. I got both machines from my local university for practically nothing and all that I had to invest in was the boot drives.

Here the the 2 machines:
Current Server
Windows 10 Pro (256GB SSD boot drive)
i5-2500 @ 3.30 GHz (Passmark 6474)
8GB DDR3 RAM
AMD R7 250 1.8 GHz 2GB DDR3 RAM

Other Machine
Windows 7 Pro (256GB SSD boot drive)
Intel Xeon W3565 (Passmark 5918)
12GB DDR3 RAM ECC
Gigabyte 210 DDR3-1GB RAM

That would depend on how you are planning to use the Plex Server. I am running mine on an i5-3570K. I can record up to 6 shows at the same time with no issues. All of the clients connecting to my server both local and remote are all capable of Direct Playing all of the content I have recorded and transcoded from the mpeg2 TV video stream to HEVC. The only client I tend to "test" with when needed is a Roku Stick which requires my server to transcode everything for it since it can't handle HEVC or the Live TV mpeg2 video. In my home I use on a daily basis a Nvidia Shield 2017 16GB in our Den, an Amazon Fire TV in Living Room which will soon be replaced with another Nvidia Shield 2017 16GB, and in my home office an Amazon Fire TV Stick. My son uses an Amazon Fire TV Stick in his apartment and a friend uses either a Chromecast Ultra or now she has purchased an Amazon Fire TV Stick as well. I never notice any trancoding happening on my server when users are viewing recordings or in my home watching Live TV.

If the client devices you will be using to view content can't handle the format of the video then you will see transcoding on the server and you may soon want a new server. However, if you choose clients wisely and they can Direct Play your content more than likely your server won't hardly notice multiple streams happening at the same time.

@johnm_ColaSC said:
That would depend on how you are planning to use the Plex Server. I am running mine on an i5-3570K. I can record up to 6 shows at the same time with no issues. All of the clients connecting to my server both local and remote are all capable of Direct Playing all of the content I have recorded and transcoded from the mpeg2 TV video stream to HEVC. The only client I tend to "test" with when needed is a Roku Stick which requires my server to transcode everything for it since it can't handle HEVC or the Live TV mpeg2 video. In my home I use on a daily basis a Nvidia Shield 2017 16GB in our Den, an Amazon Fire TV in Living Room which will soon be replaced with another Nvidia Shield 2017 16GB, and in my home office an Amazon Fire TV Stick. My son uses an Amazon Fire TV Stick in his apartment and a friend uses either a Chromecast Ultra or now she has purchased an Amazon Fire TV Stick as well. I never notice any trancoding happening on my server when users are viewing recordings or in my home watching Live TV.

If the client devices you will be using to view content can't handle the format of the video then you will see transcoding on the server and you may soon want a new server. However, if you choose clients wisely and they can Direct Play your content more than likely your server won't hardly notice multiple streams happening at the same time.

I try to have everything Direct Play whenever possible. Currently we have Xbox One(s), Roku Express Stick, 4k FireTV, Fire Stick, LG Smart TV, Samsung Smart TV(s), & Plex Media Player on a couple computers. I haven't set up any live TV recording yet, but I won't set that up until later this year or possibly early next year.