It feels like a number of issues have suddenly converged into one cluster of dysfunction.
Currently, (1) the “Sync started” and “Sync finished” notification incessantly alternates while the app is open. Further, (2) the sync screen shows “Updating information / Storage limit reached,” when I know it hasn’t. Finally, (3) clicking into the “Sync Settings” screen (it’s red from the hamburger menu location) and observing the storage space “in use” vs “available” is impossible, because Plex is changing the values non-stop: it’ll report “17.5 GB in use | 13.4 GB available,” then jump to “30.4 in use | 580.6 MB available,” then “18.3 GB in use | 12.6 GB available,” then “30.3 in use | 619.5 MB available,” etc, etc, etc, and while this is happening, that incessant alternating of sync statuses continues (1). It’s driving me nuts. To top it off, (4) PMS CPU usage is very high, especially when opening the iOS app and the sync fiasco starts its dance. This has been non-stop for at least three hours.
The steps (to possible reproduce):
I know for a fact that I had used just over 13 GB of sync storage (music only), leaving about 12 GB free. I initially had allocated 25 GB, but after trying to synchronize 10 unwatched episodes from a season of TV, I realized that the allocation would not be enough and it was also really slow, so I bumped it up to 30.9 GB (it’s impossible to accurately select flat denominations with that slider). I figured that would allow the sync to finish up, but it just pretty much hung there, so I deleted the TV sync job before it finished, which had reached about 58% (it was close to %80 at one point but dropped back down). I figured I could start clean and try to sync that TV show again. Instead, three hours later and nothing has changed–except that all of the problems described above have yet to cease. The episodes are nowhere to be found in sync, which is good, and yet I’ve got no space left, or maybe I do, but Plex is certainly unable to decide, given that it jumps around on the Sync Settings screen. To be clear, Plex should be reporting that I have used approximately 14 GB and have about 16 GB available.
iOS’ settings show that only 13.1 GB is being used by Plex. In addition, I can still actually synchronize more content. I added one more artist album while all this was happening and it’s fine, despite “Storage limit reached.” Nevertheless, all the problems described continue during and after syncing actual content.
I spent two days synchronizing 13 GB of music to the app–because for some reason I have to keep the damn thing active and in the foreground in order for anything to sync–and now it’s mostly unusable and PMS is thrashing my server, even after a cold reboot.
Attached are screenshots illustrating this behaviour, and I’ve even got a video should a dev want to see. Verbose logs were also emailed, and they’re attached here as well. Also, notice how the “Sync start” / “Sync finished” notifications are present in nearly all of the screenshots, because they never stop.
Going to the sync screen:
Syncing despite no space left, apparently:
On the “Sync Settings” screen. Plex unable to calculate used vs available storage:
iOS reporting used space by Plex:
Verbose logs are attached
Edit (specs at time of report):
PMS 0.9.12.12.1459-49fe448 / Linux 3.16.0-48-generic (#64~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP) / PC / i7-M640@2.80GHz * 8 / 8GB / 15TB storage
PHT 126.96.36.1999-47a90f01 / OS X 10.10.5 (14F27) / MBP 15" Retina (late 2014) / i7-4850HQ@2.30GHz * 8 / 16 GB / 512GB SSD
PHT 188.8.131.529-47a90f01 / OS X 10.10.5 (14F27)/ MBA 13" (early 2015)
Plex for iOS 184.108.40.20671-bb1f3c5 / iOS 9.0 / iPhone 6 Plus
Plex for Android 220.127.116.118 / Android 4.4.4 / Samsung SM-A300FU