Transcoding or not depending on controlling device

chromecast

#1

Hi,

I have some weird behavior using Chromecast.
When I use my phone or tablet (both Android) to select a movie and cast it to Chromecast it usually does so with transcoding. When I monitor the server it says in the status > now playing: Transcoding h264 to h264.
When I use the web interface through my laptop and cast the same file to the same Chromecast, it plays without transcoding and the now playing status shows Direct Stream.

I prefer the last playback, because my NAS can't handle the transcoding, it keeps buffering every few seconds or minutes. Chromecast plays the file without any problems through direct stream.

My NAS is connected through 1 GB LAN. All devices (phone, tablet, laptop and chromecast) are on the same 5 ghz WiFi network.

Is there any way to make the casting through Android also use direct stream whenever possible?

Thanks in advance!


#2

So, I did some further testing. I figured I didn’t have this issue with my previous setup. This was a PC with similar processing power to my NAS.
I’ve started reverting my PMS version to see if that did any good. In version 1.8.x and 1.7.6 the problem still occured.
I’ve managed to revert the version of my PMS to 1.5.4. Right now, the transcoding isn’t happening anymore.

I’ve looked through the release notes of PMS, but can’t find the reason for this behaviour yet. Any clues what could cause this?


#3

Yeah, I’ve been having the similar problem.
My NAS isn’t powerful enough to transcode (dual core ARM), so most of the videos that I try to cast via my cell phone are unavailable to play on CC2.
The same video plays regularly when casted from my laptop via web interface.

Very strange.


#4

Yes, I noticed this as well. If i use my iphone or android phone as a remote control using the output as Chromecast it transcodes. If If i remote control the chromecast from my PC plex web interface direct play is used. An example of a file this occurs with is below.

Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 5.46 GiB
Duration : 1 h 30 min
Overall bit rate : 8 589 kb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2014-02-12 09:03:44
Writing application : mkvmerge v5.5.0 (‘Healer’) built on Apr 6 2012 21:43:24
Writing library : libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames : 5 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 1 h 30 min
Bit rate : 7 079 kb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 800 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.192
Stream size : 4.39 GiB (80%)
Title : @6513Kbps High Profiles @L4.1
Writing library : x264 core 138 r2358 9e941d1
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-2:-2 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=4 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=7079 / ratetol=2.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=38000 / vbv_bufsize=30000 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Thanks HTH