tvOS 12

apple-tv

Will Plex be taking advantage of the tvOS 12 beta to adopt new features and ensure compatibility? I hope this doesn’t end up like Apple TV 4K and tvOS 11 support where we waited months before most features worked.

What tvOS 12 features are you looking to be supported ?

For me, one to the major new features is Dolby Atmos. Considering how long it took them to implement their lackluster support for HEVC, I won’t be holding my breath anytime soon.

@nickp85 said:
Will Plex be taking advantage of the tvOS 12 beta to adopt new features and ensure compatibility? I hope this doesn’t end up like Apple TV 4K and tvOS 11 support where we waited months before most features worked.

In the six+ years I’ve been using Plex, this is the biggest lesson I’ve learned: Plex’s development process has only gotten worse over time. However long it took them to “implement” tvOS 11 features into Plex, it will take even LONGER for tvOS 12 and it will not work consistently or well.

I jumped ship to Infuse

@darcilicious said:

@nickp85 said:

In the six+ years I’ve been using Plex, this is the biggest lesson I’ve learned: Plex’s development process has only gotten worse over time. However long it took them to “implement” tvOS 11 features into Plex, it will take even LONGER for tvOS 12 and it will not work consistently or well.

Indeed. Plex appears to almost have abandoned tvOS Apple TV development. The app is so infrequently updated and when it is the changes are absolutely minimal compared to other platforms. Even in the beta program there’s virtually never any updates.

I just hope the method Apple is using for Atmos opens the door to bitstreamong all codecs. Atmos support is going to be worthless if it’s some weird setup that Plex can’t work with.

so this is what i have found if i put a atmos demo file in the photos libery of plex the atmos will play in apple tv app. but if i play a movie blu ray rip it does not play atmos. so the player they are using for photos does support atmos already with tvos12