Ubuntu Mate can't add Media from external HDD

server-linux

#1

Hello,

I already tried:
1. sudo nano /etc/default/plexmediaserver --> PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USER = USERNAME
2. "sudo chown -R USER:plex MEDIAFOLDER" in combination with "sudo chmod -R 770 MEDIAFOLDER"
Before I tried the second option i completely wiped my Computer (I'll purely use it for Plex).

I have no Idea why but it's simply not working. When I want to add my Mediafolder it's not opening the external HDD. I can see it but when I click on it nothing happens. When I want to change the Mountpoint to the home dir my OS is only starting in TTYL and i need to delete the line in /etc/fstab which i created for the Mountpoint.

Any help here maybe? I'm out of ideas.


#2

Please see http://forums.plex.tv/categories/linux-tips

It shows how to add your external media. Specifically:

http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/279063/using-ext-or-ntfs-drives-internal-or-external-on-linux#latest


#3

@ChuckPA said:
Please see http://forums.plex.tv/categories/linux-tips

It shows how to add your external media. Specifically:

http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/279063/using-ext-or-ntfs-drives-internal-or-external-on-linux#latest

as I mentioned the fstab method doesn't work for me because my system won't boot after I made the new entries. The mounting of my HDD is not the problem. The problem is that plex can't accsess it and it doesn't seem to make a difference if I try the chown command or the editing in the /etc/default/plexmediaserver


#4

You say:

I can see it but when I click on it nothing happens

Do you mean you see it in Ubuntu and when you double click it, it does not open?
Can you access files from the command line/terminal windows of your system outside of plex? like ls -lsa on the directory of your external media?


#5

If you are letting Ubuntu auto mount the drive, it mounts it so only your user can read/write to it. The way in which it makes this mount it won't matter how much you change the permissions you will still be the only user able to access the drive (which means Plex cannot).

If your computer doesn't boot after you add the drive via fstab, you likely did something incorrectly. Do you get an error message when this happens? Can you post your fstab with the change made so we can see what you are putting in?


#6

@nokdim said:
You say:

I can see it but when I click on it nothing happens

Do you mean you see it in Ubuntu and when you double click it, it does not open?
Can you access files from the command line/terminal windows of your system outside of plex? like ls -lsa on the directory of your external media?

I can accsess the files in Ubuntu. I can accsess every subfolder and file in ubuntu.
I CAN NOT accsess the files within the Plex setup. Not even with the steps i mentioned above.


#7

As adamskoog mentioned you will need to get this setup via fstab and again if you system blows up after you edit fstab you are probably editing the file the wrong way or adding extra escape characters with the editor you are using which causes the system to not be able to read it and not boot.

Can you post what you fstab looks like now and what it looks like after you edit it?


#8

@GhostSierra117 said:

@ChuckPA said:
Please see http://forums.plex.tv/categories/linux-tips

It shows how to add your external media. Specifically:

http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/279063/using-ext-or-ntfs-drives-internal-or-external-on-linux#latest

as I mentioned the fstab method doesn't work for me because my system won't boot after I made the new entries. The mounting of my HDD is not the problem. The problem is that plex can't accsess it and it doesn't seem to make a difference if I try the chown command or the editing in the /etc/default/plexmediaserver

Show me your /etc/fstab (the configuration which fails). I will help you edit it to work properly. Also include the blkid of the disks you wish to have mounted.


#9

@adamskoog said:
If you are letting Ubuntu auto mount the drive, it mounts it so only your user can read/write to it. The way in which it makes this mount it won't matter how much you change the permissions you will still be the only user able to access the drive (which means Plex cannot).

If your computer doesn't boot after you add the drive via fstab, you likely did something incorrectly. Do you get an error message when this happens? Can you post your fstab with the change made so we can see what you are putting in?

Sure here it is. The /dev/sda1 is my External HDD:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p6 /boot vfat defaults 0 2
/dev/mmcblk0p7 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
/dev/sda1 /mnt/Toshiba ntfs noatime 0 0

a swapfile is not a swap partition, no line here

use dphys-swapfile swap[on|off] for that


#10
  1. where is your swap partition / file mounted or do you have it set to search and automount ?
  2. the entry for /dev/sda1 is not how instructed to do

For Read/Write:

/dev/sda1  /mnt/Toshiba     ntfs    defaults,auto,rw,nofail,noatime 0 1

For Read-only:

/dev/sda1  /mnt/Toshiba     ntfs    defaults,auto,ro,nofail,noatime 0 1

In my example, I expressly show this for Read-only:
```

Mount /dev/sda1 directly READ-ONLY, and use the device name because it will never change

/dev/sda1 /disks/c ntfs defaults,auto,ro,nofail 0 1
```

You have opted to not update access time (noatime) so that's fine to add


#11

@ChuckPA said:
1. where is your swap partition / file mounted or do you have it set to search and automount ?
2. the entry for /dev/sda1 is not how instructed to do

For Read/Write:

/dev/sda1  /mnt/Toshiba     ntfs    defaults,auto,rw,nofail,noatime 0 1

For Read-only:

/dev/sda1  /mnt/Toshiba     ntfs    defaults,auto,ro,nofail,noatime 0 1

In my example, I expressly show this for Read-only:
```

Mount /dev/sda1 directly READ-ONLY, and use the device name because it will never change

/dev/sda1 /disks/c ntfs defaults,auto,ro,nofail 0 1
```

You have opted to not update access time (noatime) so that's fine to add

My Fdisk and Fstab: https://pastebin.com/1StxwkqJ
UUID: C8ECE16FECE15868
My Toshiba Harddrive is still mounted under /media/ubuntu/ and I still can't accsess it via the Plex Setup Manager. In Raspbian everything worked excellent with these settings. I dont't really understand why it won't work now.


#12

In step C, I detailed to select another location other than /media. This is expressly because Nautilus claims full, exclusive, ownership of everything mounted under it. Older versions of Gnome's Nautilus (Ubuntu) did not exhibit this behavior.

Create a new mount point directory, in the manor indicated, and all will be fine.


#13

@ChuckPA said:
In step C, I detailed to select another location other than /media. This is expressly because Nautilus claims full, exclusive, ownership of everything mounted under it. Older versions of Gnome's Nautilus (Ubuntu) did not exhibit this behavior.

Create a new mount point directory, in the manor indicated, and all will be fine.

I use Ubuntu Mate it doesn't use Nautilus it uses Caja.

The fstab editing results in a not booting System. With your settings it stills mout the external HDD in /media/ubuntu/.

I attatched my fstab and my fdisk -l command so you can have a more detailled look on my configuration in the answer above yous. Please have a look at it it might explain where my issue is.


#14

I've looked again at your /etc/fstab. Is your other disk on /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb1 ???


#15

@ChuckPA said:
I've looked again at your /etc/fstab. Is your other disk on /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb1 ???

I've found the issue.
/mnt/ was owned by root
/mnt/Toshiba/ was not.

I have no Idea how that happend but I rearranged the Permissions and Ownership of both folders and now everything is working fine.

Thank you for your help though!


#16

FWIW: root doesn't need permissions. Being the root user, it's the 'super user' and ignores all permissions. User plex on the other hand must have the appropriate permissions. During boot, everything is done by root.