Unable to achieve remote access under Linux using GDM

server-linux

My router will respond to UPNP actions for port forwarding. However the software is unable to do so under Ubuntu as the library for it isn't installed by default. So can we please have what library is used for this support in Plex Media Server in order to install the right one on Ubuntu (or other supported GNU/Linux distributions). In windows once the UPNP host service was set to start Automatically and Started then the Remote Access would work; under Linux however no such luck.

The ports for it are opened under the computers firewall with the right protocols.

@MrGrymReaper said:
My router will respond to UPNP actions for port forwarding. However the software is unable to do so under Ubuntu as the library for it isn’t installed by default. So can we please have what library is used for this support in Plex Media Server in order to install the right one on Ubuntu (or other supported GNU/Linux distributions).

The ports for it are opened under the computers firewall with the right protocols.

It’s included in the PMS package, there is no external dependency.

So, what is your exact problem? The title is a little bit confusing mentioning the Gnome Display Manager :smile: If it’s remote access just set the port forwarding manually in your router, if auto-configuration is failing for you.

Well then something must be wrong with it. As the remote access will come to work when PMS is installed on Windows if the “UPNP Host” service is configured to start Automatically, then is started up. If the server software is restarted and the Remote Access is reset. Turning Remote Access from Enabled to Disabled and then back again.

Are currently installed under KDE Neon which is based on Ubuntu Linux LTS (currently 16.04 LTS). Though even when installed directly on Ubuntu Linux it still won’t work.

So if I can be informed what language Plex Media Server was programmed in maybe a version from the Ubuntu official packages could be installed. It would be even better if Plex under Ubuntu could be able to use it if it’s installed for its UPNP or IGD (GDM) functionality.

@MrGrymReaper said:
So if I can be informed what language Plex Media Server was programmed in maybe a version from the Ubuntu official packages could be installed. It would be even better if Plex under Ubuntu could be able to use it if it’s installed for its UPNP or IGD (GDM) functionality.

The dependency is included in the PMS package, there is no external dependency. As far as I can tell, libnatpmp is used by Plex on Linux. If auto-configuration is failing for you just configure the port forwarding manually in your router.

PMS, on Linux (Ubuntu & Fedora), with UPNP, isn’t stable for everyone. It varies with UPnP implementation in the router/modem and how that interacts with PMS.

Prime example being, My ISP UPNP implementation is trash and PMS would never connect. I installed a pfSense firewall and let it take over the PPPoE services as well. It produces 100% reliable results with the same PMS version.

The most reliable results are obtained when setting the static IP of the host and manual port forwarding in the router/modem.

For your information if you would like to improve the UPNP reliability. It may be worth checking out UPNP Router Control as its implementation of the protocol is pretty reliable. Also contacting Daniele Napolitano (dnax88 [at] gmail [dot] com) as he may have some insights have written that software.

I have managed to semi-manually forward the port via the upnp protocol. Though via the software mentioned above and remote access is now working.

Well worth you checking the software out and contacting its author.