Update Roku app to support collections

roku

I was very excited to see the new collection feature added to Plex. But unfortunately that doesn't work on the Roku app yet. Please update the Roku version to work like it does on the phone/pc. So that when you browse all you see the collections instead of all of the individual movies. I have tried on Roku 3 and 4.

the entire Roku interface needs a rewrite.

Actually the Roku app does support collections in a basic form. That is when you are browsing you movies library you can click on the filter option (All) at the upper right and one of the filter choices is “Collections” and you can select a collection from there.

It is not the same as some other platforms but at least it does work and is better than nothing.

@leo_1963 said:
the entire Roku interface needs a rewrite.

Be careful what you ask for - you may get it.

Please, please, please add this feature to the Roku app.

Please the hole point is so when using and even more when on a tv screen. as I use roku on all my media on my tvs in my house

I whole heartedly agree. I spent days creating custom collections only to find out that the Roku Player doesn’t support them. I dropped cable long ago and primarily use Roku for all my media streaming, including Plex.

Should this post/request be moved to the “Feature Requests” thread?

I support collections for the Roku app 100%!

I don’t know about a rewrite, but speeding up the interface wouldn’t hurt, I find it sluggish on my Roku 3… And how come album/movie art doesn’t seem to be cached?

@dheraud said:
I support collections for the Roku app 100%!

I don’t know about a rewrite, but speeding up the interface wouldn’t hurt, I find it sluggish on my Roku 3… And how come album/movie art doesn’t seem to be cached?

My interface was sluggish as well… until I ran a wire. Now the only problem is that when the DirecTV server gets busy and slows to a crawl, my Roku tells me that the internet connection is lost, and it tries to get me to set up a new wireless connection.

As for the artwork question, are you referring to the album/movie art on just the Roku, or are you referring to the artwork for the collections? Not sure about the Roku, but if it is about caching/saving the movie art for collections in general, that is a darned good question!

This thread is interesting, more for the comments about “sluggishness” that for the "collections: comments.

I will comment on the collections first: I know from experience that programming “special” features on the Roku using their limited and “special” programming language (Brightscript) along with the fact that on the Roku not all Brightscript functions work correctly and some do not work at all.

The current lead developer on Roku is very very good but he has to work withing the problems that Roku presents and within the limits imposed by Plex.

I am quite confident that collections (in the new form that Plex has implemented) will come to the Roku line and that the implementation will work very well it just will take a bit of time.

Now as far as the sluggishness goes I do not see it. My Rokus, both Roku 3s and an Ultra, pretty snappy in most cases and the Plex interface is as quick as any other app on the Roku.

I wonder if people having slowdown problems are using older or slower Rokus and/or they are using their Rokus wirelessly. I have all my Rokus connected wired as I believe streaming is best done wired.

Rokus are notoriously poor on WiFi connections and are very susceptible to interference. It is a weakness that all Rokus exhibit and is not unique to Plex at all. That problem can be mitigated, if you insist on wireless, by using the 5ghz band as that band is less prone to interference.

I have seen slowness with Plex on a Roku when the server is slow, specifically disk access is not that great. Going SSD on the Plex server solves most of these issues.

+1 to Collections on Plex for Roku.

Hey All. We just released an update to the Plex Pass channel that includes support for advanced collections. Enjoy!

Been playing with this and noticed that Collections don’t seem to work for unwatched TV shows. Is this intended or a bug?

Lifetime Pass owner here to kindly ask that support for Collections be added for Roku :smiley:

Really loving Plex so far. This is my biggest annoyance so far (and it’s not even very bad). Would love to have this fixed though for the organizational benefits on my Roku.

Collections work fine on latest Preview build. Thanks!!!

When will the new build be official on the Roku Store?

Beating a dead horse, but organized my movies by collection…then discovered that Plex on Roku does not support it

@cfosnock said:
Beating a dead horse, but organized my movies by collection…then discovered that Plex on Roku does not support it

The Plex Pass Preview app has collections that work great. https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=plexpass
Just install that and you will have collections.

@Elijah_Baley said:

@cfosnock said:

The Plex Pass Preview app has collections that work great. https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=plexpass
Just install that and you will have collections.

Yep. Works as expected.