using the SHIELD has a media server and storage questions

server-nvidia-shield

How does storage work? I use my PC as my media server and I have external hard drives connected to them. Do I need to plug the hard drives into the shield itself? So can I access them over my network (SHIELD and PC hooked to the same router) I don't have a NAS device so I was wondering on how can I do this. I don't want to use my PC for transcoding.

info here https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/220391808-Media-Storage-Options-for-NVIDIA-SHIELD

I found where I can add my PC as network storage but when I tried to add my PC it asks for my username and password. I don't know where to get this info. I'm using windows 7 on my PC

@BigWheel said:
info here https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/220391808-Media-Storage-Options-for-NVIDIA-SHIELD

I had just found that but I'm having issues with the username and password. I never made one so I don't know why it's asking

not a windows expert. i thought a u:p was required in windows these days

( sorry of you saw that opensubtitles stuff I had two windows open ) checking on SMB windows with some other folks

The shield i believe has an option to connect as guest if your windows share allows that

@"Toph Bei Fong" said:
I had just found that but I'm having issues with the username and password. I never made one so I don't know why it's asking

Did you install Windows 7 on that computer?

Windows (all modern versions from 7 to the latest 10) allows you to install the OS and drives without a password. Many people do that because their computer is not accessible by anyone else. I used to do it. I stopped doing it when I found that on many systems I could not access storage on a computer without a password at all at the systems did not believe that you could have a computer without a password.

Now my local computers always get a username and password but I simply configure them to boot without checking them.

I do not have a security problem as no one can physically get to my computers except for me and my dog and he does not use electronics.

My network is well protected and my passwords are very strong on external access so having an internal password is just stupid.

But, since many people that program various systems that need access to local shared storage like the Shield does in my case are too incompetent to realize that there is sometimes a need to access storage that has no user name and password, I now always give my local computer a simple and easy to remember user name and password.

To get into my computers a crook would have to first break some very tight security just to get to my first network and then, to get to anything of real importance, they would have to break security on a second router. Or they would have to break into my physical home. In either situation my concerns are not for my computer's data but they are for other things of MUCH greater importance.

But all that is not directly related to the question. My answer to that is try "Guest" BUT that very well might not work as guest access is quite limited. The best answer is to put a simple user name and password on your computers and then enable the computer to boot without requiring the password. For exactly how to do that Google is your friend but DuckDuckGo is even better. I just searched for "Windows password" and the first page of hits not only had the answers on adding passwords and booting without requiring them and 90% of the first answers were for Windows 7.

I added a password and was able to get the SHEILD to see my PC but I have one issue..... the SHIELD see's my PC's main storage device but it doesn't see the two external hard drives I have connected. Is there a way to make the SHIELD see them?

You have to properly configure your Windows computer for sharing. By default only a few things are shared. I'd find a good tutorial or two via Google on how to share drives/directories in Windows.

@kegobeer-plex said:
You have to properly configure your Windows computer for sharing. By default only a few things are shared. I'd find a good tutorial or two via Google on how to share drives/directories in Windows.

I went into the drives properties and enabled sharing and whatnot but it still didn't work. I'm not exactly sure what I need to be looking for or what to enable. Thee's things like permissions, passwords....etc. I need to know exactly what I need to enable so the SHIELD can see those externals. Any guide you recommend?

I think I figured it out. I had to go to security and allow everyone to share it. This may work out very well. How many streams can a SHIELD transcode at once?