Video stuttering after update to Plex for Android 6.13.0

android-tv
fire-tv

I have a 2015 Sony XBR 850C. Under the new player the DVD quality MPEG2 micro-stutters constantly. Before the update these files played without issue.

If I play the same files under Plex for Kodi the play smoothly.

I downgraded back to 6.12.0 and it resolved the issue.

Same issue on my Sony XBR 800D. Downgrading to 6.12 resolved issue on that tv as well.

Can you describe the micro-stuttering and/or provide a small sample? I’m on the current 6.13 beta with a 2017 Sony X900E and X800E, and I’m getting what I would describe as motion artifacts on quick camera pans and jitteriness with scrolling text on MPEG-2 TS video captured OTA with an HDHR.

Almost seems like an issue with deinterlacing, but I’m not sure. Forcing a transcode corrects this, but I’m really pumped about getting direct play for MPEG-2 TS working smoothly on the Sony Android TVs.

The new player will direct play mpeg2 where the older app would transcode. I’ll see if the devs can reproduce this issue.

Can you guys provide me the XML for these videos?

@“MovieFan.Plex” said:
The new player will direct play mpeg2 where the older app would transcode. I’ll see if the devs can reproduce this issue.

The old player does not transcode. The MPEG2 has never transcoded on either of my Sony TVs. (Sever latest 1.10, player 6.12)

DVD mkv’s Direct Play, and mpegts from LiveTV Direct Stream.

I should clarify I’m having the problem on DVD rips, I haven’t tested with my livetv data… I reverted the player as soon as wife started complaining.

Here’s the XML data for a sample episode.

How would I describe the problem? - I looks like its skipping frames, audio stays in sync, but the video is constantly jerking forward in small increments.

@“MovieFan.Plex” said:

Thanks. I have a thread over in the beta forum. Both of my Sony TVs are 2017 models, and after reading @4lextg’s update, I think we are discussing separate symptoms for separate media formats.

How do I get access to those forums? I can check and see if my issue is reported there.

Thanks for reporting, we have investigated the issues with MPEG2 and are rolling out a new version shortly with a fix.

Awesome, once I give it a go. I’ll update here. Thanks!

Hi, I experience the same problem as @4lextg - just the dvdrip files [Xvid codec for the most of them] are stuttering (720p / 1080p works now fine) on my Philips 4K AndroidTV and I have the lastest version available 6.13.2

[Plus note : for my 4K files, my PMS on a Synology transcodes whereas it should not, my TV can handle the files with a HDD]

@MagicFlo said:
Hi, I experience the same problem as @4lextg - just the dvdrip files [Xvid codec for the most of them] are stuttering (720p / 1080p works now fine) on my Philips 4K AndroidTV and I have the lastest version available 6.13.2

[Plus note : for my 4K files, my PMS on a Synology transcodes whereas it should not, my TV can handle the files with a HDD]

Could you try 6.13.3? If you still have the issue, please grab some logs and we can investigate!

Nope, problem is actually worse in that now when I try to play something I just get the spinning progress circle and nothing happens. If I try to back out Android tells me the app has crashed. I can try to get some logs in a bit.

Hi, I’m face the same issue with app 6.13.3 on Sony Oled A1. Stuttering every 10 or 20 secondes. Image is frozen for 2 or 3 seconds while soundtrack continues. I manually reinstalled 6.12 and everything runs smooth again.

@Balthazar2k4 said:
Nope, problem is actually worse in that now when I try to play something I just get the spinning progress circle and nothing happens. If I try to back out Android tells me the app has crashed. I can try to get some logs in a bit.

We’ve pushed a fix for the issue you were experiencing in 6.13.4, sorry about that!

@allroadusa said:
Hi, I’m face the same issue with app 6.13.3 on Sony Oled A1. Stuttering every 10 or 20 secondes. Image is frozen for 2 or 3 seconds while soundtrack continues. I manually reinstalled 6.12 and everything runs smooth again.

Could you grab some logs from 6.13.4? Instructions for finding logs are available here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201573117-Android-and-GoogleTV-Logs

@sixones said:

@Balthazar2k4 said:

We’ve pushed a fix for the issue you were experiencing in 6.13.4, sorry about that!

Thank you. I can confirm that fixed the playback issue for me.

EDIT: Nope. Spoke too soon. While I can play videos again I am getting freezing video again on both 16.13.4 and 16.13.5.

Just tried 6.13.6. Seems to fix the stutter / frame drop on my KD65A1 !

@Balthazar2k4 said:
EDIT: Nope. Spoke too soon. While I can play videos again I am getting freezing video again on both 16.13.4 and 16.13.5.

16.13.6 will fix the frame drop / video freezing issue you are experiencing.