Viewing angle/direction

plex-vr

OK, my thoughts when Plex mentioned a VR app were that it would be great to watch in a place where you could relax, but there was no TV, or no TV which easy access to the PMS media. To me this means relaxing on a sofa, bed, lounge, etc. However, as I've noticed on every other VR platform, the silly things assume you're sitting in a hard backed chair at attention and viewing the "screen" with your head perfectly parallel to the floor. Hell, I don't even do that when I'm watching my TV (from my thread worn Lazyboy)! But, I digress ...

Netflix has a feature where you can set the viewing area (movie screen) to remain directly in front of you. When in the Netflix living room, look straight up and you'll see an odd chandelier. Aim the control (I'm using a Google Daydream 2017 set) at this until the center illuminates and click. Look down and click on the steering wheel icon immediate above the viewing screen. The viewing area will center itself in front of you, and move to remain there if you move your head.

Is there a similar feature in the PlexVR app? I can't find anything in the app settings that might do this and haven't found anything in online searches. I can't watch the media comfortably (aka reclining) without forcing my head down so that I'm looking at my feet - definitely not comfortably. I'd think this was a common issue with any 3D media viewing app so it's probably that I'm not using the correct keywords :(

Finally, as a general VR comment when using for 2D viewing, it'd be nice if you could move the screen further away so you didn't have to move your head to see each side of the screen. I noticed Plex will allow you to move the screen closer, but it won't allow you to move it away. I know VR is supposed to be a full environment experience but when using these to watch 2D movies or TV shows, definitely not a 360D media, having to physically move your head to see the entire screen really reduces the "niceness" of the experience (IMO).

Thanks for the feedback.

Is there a similar feature in the PlexVR app

Not at the moment. Closest thing you can do is drag the screen until it’s on the ceiling, and then lay down. But this won’t affect the menus or the rest of the UI, just the screen. And it won’t help if the video is 180º or 360º.

We had no plans to implement something like what Netflix has, but I’ll raise the idea internally and it might get added to our future roadmap. It does sound useful!

it’d be nice if you could move the screen further away

You can’t make it arbitrarily small at the moment, but you can make it pretty small regardless. In my phone at least (Pixel 2 XL) I can make it small enough that I definitely don’t need to move my head left and right at all.

Maybe this is different in your phone?

Watching plex on a recliner or in bed with the screen and controls easily accessible is a critical feature.

Watching plex on a recliner or in bed with the screen and controls easily accessible is a critical feature.

Noted, thanks for the feedback.

Just to be clear though, at the moment it’s possible to move the screen to the ceiling and the playback controls / settings will follow it, which might be an acceptable workaround for some people:

How do you drag? I remember that menu (Feb 7 1857 post), but I couldn’t get it to do anything above “normal” horizontal. If you can drag the image to a comfortable spot, that is an OK workaround, but … ?

Thank you!

Maybe it’s my phone that won’t allow zoom out (Samsung Galaxy 8+). I’ll try to post an image

+1

This thread echoes my own feelings with the app. I love lying in bed in daydream looking up at the ceiling watching YouTube videos (where you can drag the screen onto the ceiling), I’d love to be able to do this in Plex.

I wasn’t even aware you could drag the screen. How do you do it? Not super intuitive.

You just point at the screen, click the large directional touchpad, and drag the screen wherever you want. You can also scroll up and down on the pad to increase/decrease the size.

I will chime in on this post in support of adding this feature.

Please add “screen” dragging (or re-orientation function) for 180/360 videos as well. I can drag normal 3D video’s screen up, down, left, right. But I can’t do it while watching 180/360 videos.

I usually watch VR videos while laying in the bed and often the main focus of the video is hard to see as you can’t turn around as much and it’s kinda hard to look down while laying in bed.

Re-orientation can be done from the Oculus quick menu, but it unfortunately only affects the horizontal (not vertical) position.

Please add “screen” dragging (or re-orientation function) for 180/360 videos as well. I can drag normal 3D video’s screen up, down, left, right. But I can’t do it while watching 180/360 videos.

It would indeed be nice to support that. Thanks for the suggestion.

@ManuelPG said:

It would indeed be nice to support that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I too suggest the adjustable re-orientation and zooming of 180/360 surround content would be a great addition.

Thanks

Surprised this is still not a feature. I know development resources are finite, but considering the Plex VR app intends to be a contender in the mobile VR space, would adding the capacity to move around the 180VR window horizontally be that much extra code?

I know you learn from competitors, and since other people are seeking a solution for this specific issue which Plex does not yet offer, I should point the devs as well as other customers to the popular Skybox app. I use it in Daydream with my Pixel 2 XL, and 180 vr videos can be dragged in any direction, enabling someone to position themselves in their real-world seating however they like, rather than the current situation with Plex VR where one watching a 180 video is forced to sit upright perfectly.

If you are a dev thinking “where would I even find a 180 VR video to test this?,” the answer is simple: just download some youtube vr 180 content. There is tons of it. Stick it in Plex (or Skybox if you want to see the functionality of moving around 180 videos by holding and dragging).

Everything else about Plex is superior in my opinion, particularly the organization capacities of Plex hands-down beat Skybox. If I want to watch anything non-VR in my VR headset, I’d go to Plex because it has a better interface, organization, and I can move the video screen and recline with non-VR, but when I want to watch VR, I’m avoiding the Plex VR app because I am forced to sit upright rather than recline to relax.