VOBSUBS stop showing; then plex app on shield tv will crash

android-tv
fire-tv

Plex for Android 6.15.2
Plex Media Server 1.12.3.4973
Logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U-y5KZk4cBV1sNVpQhVs8l-_TLWJQqzo/view?usp=sharing

@"MovieFan.Plex" I'll DM you the link to the file that will allow you to reproduce the issue.

VOBSUBS stop showing at 12:13 abouts; then plex app on shield tv will crash if you rewind or fast forward – an an attempt to get subtitles to show again – and the subtitles never come back, even in the places they had showed beforehand.

I played the file from the beginning and subtitles showed up until 12:13 abouts and then after that they would not show and rewinding would also not even show the subtitles that had showed before.

Thanks. Have you tried on another Plex player to see if it’s only the Android TV app?

@“MovieFan.Plex” said:
Thanks. Have you tried on another Plex player to see if it’s only the Android TV app?

Yes, Plex media player is fine; also fine if you choose to burn in subtitles (transcode). It’s when the file is Direct playing that sees the issue.

I am experiencing this exact same issue with vobsubs and the Android TV clients after 6.13.7

@FlashMasta said:
I am experiencing this exact same issue with vobsubs and the Android TV clients after 6.13.7

I’ve not heard back from @“MovieFan.Plex” about this yet.

@“MovieFan.Plex” said:

Were you able to reproduce this with the sample I provided you? There are quite a lot of VOBSUB issues currently – two reported by me and verified by you back in July 2017, and they still persist today:

These were posted back in july 2017; you said “Sorry. It’s still listed on our todo list. Just haven’t had time to get to it.” back then. For my family, subtitles are very important, and a basic feature I thought wouldn’t have so many problems. Your MPV backed PMP has none of these issues, just the Android TV app using exoplayer. Could @sixones or @drhill or @roflharrison or any of the android team comment.

Sorry, I have not had a chance to test your sample yet. I promise to get to it soon.

For the rendering issue, it’s been filed with the devs. Just waiting for them to get to it. You are the only one that’s reported the issue so far so it hasn’t gotten much attention in terms of priority. I understand for you, it’s very important. I’ll see if I can push things along.

For the extras issue, I did not see those mentions. Let me see if I can reproduce those.

@“MovieFan.Plex” said:
Sorry, I have not had a chance to test your sample yet. I promise to get to it soon.

For the rendering issue, it’s been filed with the devs. Just waiting for them to get to it. You are the only one that’s reported the issue so far so it hasn’t gotten much attention in terms of priority. I understand for you, it’s very important. I’ll see if I can push things along.

For the extras issue, I did not see those mentions. Let me see if I can reproduce those.

@FlashMasta has the same rendering issue. Regarding the extras issue, you sent me a message on April 17th, 11:26PM saying:

No, I didn’t miss it. I provided the info to the developers. It was looked into but not deemed a priority. It’s still on the backlog.

So I’m confused about that one.

Oh, I might have gotten the issues mixed up. I was referring to the rendering issue in that quote. Sorry.

@“MovieFan.Plex” said:
Oh, I might have gotten the issues mixed up. I was referring to the rendering issue in that quote. Sorry.

Yep, everything I’m watching now is dropping Vobsubs after a while of playing just fine. I can provide more samples and let you know when the subtitles stop showing.

I hope you had a good weekend @“MovieFan.Plex” @sixones It seems that getting to the bottom of this VOBSUBS disappearing bug could be helped by some more examples and more precise times the issue occurs. So, to this, I have sat down and got together three examples.

I turned on network logging on the Android TV app also, in case it could aid in your efforts to get to the route cause of the issue. Logging was on for all three tests.

PMS: Version 1.12.3.4973
Plex for Android 6.16.1 (on the Shield TV)

In all cases I have DM links to the files to @“MovieFan.Plex” ; I had to provide the whole file in each case, as it can take varying times for the issue to reproduce. I watched each file from the beginning until the issue appears, logging my start time in GMT and the time the subtitles disappear. I also note the time the app crashes and also how far into the file i get before the subtitles disappear and will not come back. Once the subtitles disappear, no mount of rewinding of forwarding will bring them back, and in all cases the plex android TV app with crash.

PMS logs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=154Qa3DzEkTnIX9A1h0OiRudTgy2aYk2g

All testing took place today. 28th April 2018

1. Pagliacci (1994)
    Start time: 9:36am GMT
    Time problem occurs: 9:48am GMT
    Time into file problem occurs: 12m:10s
    Crash: 9:50am GMT
    XML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hQKXFvUqHGj8llfyZG7aVeMu6NTVMbgv
    File: Link sent via DM.

2. One Foot in the Grave s00e2
    Start time: 9:53am GMT
    Time problem occurs: 10:23am GMT
    Time into file problem occurs: 32m:08s
    Crash: 10:24am GMT
    XML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eqH7-mkDS_ZPyFZsjGsjpMmPBHcKiEhe
    File: Link sent via DM

3. Brideshead Revisited s1e9
    Start time: 10:28am GMT
    Time problem occurs: 11:19am GMT
    Time into file problem occurs: 48m:40s
    Crash: 11:23am GMT
    XML: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g1pcfV1bsH6jrJgPk_LQNPHJVQXjhETK
    File: Link sent via DM

NOTE: Please, in each case, give leeway in the two times I record for when the issue occurs (GMT and time in file); sometimes i don’t quite note the exact time the subtitles disappear and others I do not pause the movie in a timely manner.

**In all cases, the issue can be reproduced by watching the files from the beginning until the subtitles disappear. **

Anyone? @kinoCharlino @sa2000

Is this being investigated at all @“MovieFan.Plex” ?

I did try to reproduce the issue, but was unable to. The couple of movies with VBOSUB that I have did not produce this error. The first sample you gave me for that dropping out issue also did not produce this crash. I was able to see the subtitle drop out, but I cannot recreate this crash.

@“MovieFan.Plex” said:
I did try to reproduce the issue, but was unable to. The couple of movies with VBOSUB that I have did not produce this error. The first sample you gave me for that dropping out issue also did not produce this crash. I was able to see the subtitle drop out, but I cannot recreate this crash.

You have my logs and times they occur. It’s the dropout of subtitles that’s the bother so let’s proceed with that.

A bit of rewinding and forwarding was stimulus for a crash to occur.

@“MovieFan.Plex” said:

Please fix the vobsub dropping issue, that has been the most annoying bug for months. Maybe fixing that will fix the other issue(s).

@“MovieFan.Plex” seeing as me and @FlashMasta do have this issue, would you like me to screen record a show or movie until the subs drop off?

No need. I can recreate that issue. Still looking to see what is causing it.

@“MovieFan.Plex” said:
No need. I can recreate that issue. Still looking to see what is causing it.

Thank you. It happens consistently; watched another 30 min episode of one foot in the grave and the subtitles dropped. These episodes are only 30 mins so not as long as the 3 examples I have, and I’m happy to supply them if you need. Along with the time the subtitles drop.

@FlashMasta crashes are similar:

The content works perfectly for maybe 10-15 minutes, then vobsubs stop showing up entirely, and nothing happens when pressing the back button. I have to restart the client as it is acting like there is a memory leak bug.

You can stimulate the crash if you pause after subtitles drop and try to rewind or back out of the programme.

I’ll see if I can catch the drop and a crash on video for you as you said you’ve not had the crash part occur. I’ll try and post that up tomorrow.

Hi @“MovieFan.Plex”

As i said I would, I have screen-recorded the issue (sub drop) and the crash, and I have sent the links to the video files via DM. In all cases, I can trigger a crash with the back button on the shield remote. I forgot to note the URL of the network logs, but I can do this all again and attach the logs if you so wish.