What is the proper way to add new media

plex-web

Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums and I know questions like these have been asked a bunch - I've been browsing them, but I haven't found a solution that works so I'm asking for some expert advice.

I can't add new media. When I first created the share, everything added fine even though it was all named improperly. I added files and they weren't recognized, so I put them in their own folders and changed the names appropriately. I've triple checked the permissions and that's fine. I cleared the trash on the web interface and re-analyzed but still doesn't pick anything up.

What does work is creating an entirely new folder and copy/pasting the media into that. The new location is able to be read properly and my media is discovered, but adding new media to this folder breaks in the same way the old ones did. Now I need to create and copy over all of my media every time I add something which isn't really a good long term solution.

As with any kind of forum like these, thanks for any help!

tl;dr Have to crate a new media folder to add new media.

@Zyxer22 said:
Hi everyone, I’m new to these forums and I know questions like these have been asked a bunch - I’ve been browsing them, but I haven’t found a solution that works so I’m asking for some expert advice.

I can’t add new media. When I first created the share, everything added fine even though it was all named improperly. I added files and they weren’t recognized, so I put them in their own folders and changed the names appropriately. I’ve triple checked the permissions and that’s fine. I cleared the trash on the web interface and re-analyzed but still doesn’t pick anything up.

What does work is creating an entirely new folder and copy/pasting the media into that. The new location is able to be read properly and my media is discovered, but adding new media to this folder breaks in the same way the old ones did. Now I need to create and copy over all of my media every time I add something which isn’t really a good long term solution.

As with any kind of forum like these, thanks for any help!

tl;dr Have to crate a new media folder to add new media.

Well how are your files laid out?
For example you have a “main” movies folder. Inside that are all your movies (all named correctly)
You point Plex to the “main” movies folder. Then everything that gets added to that movies folder should be automatically detected by Plex.

Right, I’ve got a media folder, inside of which I have photos, movies, tv, music, tmp. The movies folder has in it several folders each representing a movie and named the same as the movie inside. The movie inside is named as (year). Each of these folders is mapped appropriately on the plex server. The movie folder is imported as movies, the music folder as music and so on.

Sorry, that should be name (year). The markdown got me.

Would anyone else have any ideas? I’m kind of stumped here. As far as I can tell, I’ve got this setup properly.

After you have added e.g. a new movie into your ‘Movies’ subfolder,
‘Scan Library Files’
https://support.plex.tv/articles/200392106-library-actions/

Thanks for the advice, but I tried that as well and it didn’t have any affect. I’ve tried all of the options in that submenu. I even found an article somewhere that suggested a particular order of doing all of them. It was something like empty trash, then scan library files, then analyze.

That is the Plex Dance, which may or may be not necessary here.
Please give additional details about what you are trying to do.
In particular I need actual filenames and folder names.
Activating ‘debug’ logging on the server and then fetching the server logs may also be enlightening.

I really appreciate you sticking around with me. I’m attaching a screenshot of how it looks for me. You can see how I’ve got it organized, how it shows from the Movies tab, and how the same format creates a correct view in the tmp tab. I can go pull my server logs from unRaid if you think they’ll be helpful, but I looked over them and they didn’t appear to have anything to do with Plex in particular, mostly just noting memory addresses it looked like.

@Zyxer22 said:
I really appreciate you sticking around with me. I’m attaching a screenshot of how it looks for me. You can see how I’ve got it organized, how it shows from the Movies tab, and how the same format creates a correct view in the tmp tab. I can go pull my server logs from unRaid if you think they’ll be helpful, but I looked over them and they didn’t appear to have anything to do with Plex in particular, mostly just noting memory addresses it looked like.

Well unless I’m misunderstanding you have a Movie folder containing movies but also a second folder called “tmp” that contains movies?
As soon as you created that “tmp” folder you told Plex to create another Library. Yes it may be another movies library but its a completely different library none the less.
So see all the movies in the main movie library you need to add the “tmp” folder to your main movies section. If that makes sense.

Hover over Movies
Click the three dots.
Edit Library and you should see something like the above.
Browse for your “tmp” folder
Click add.

You can add as many folders as you like to an individual library. Actually creating individual movie libraries is more beneficial for things like 4K movies…or indeed micro managing movies into sub categories. It’s not necessary in most cases.

EDIT… Does that “tmp” folder only contain movies? If it contains TV shows also then things will mess up fast. So you probably need to go into more detail of the need/usage of the “tmp” & “folder1” folders.

Both of those tmp and folder1 folders contain only movies. I’ve added them because of what I mentioned in the original post that it appears to be the only way to get new media to show in my library. In the example from my screenshot, I actually have 2 instances of the spiderman movie in my library.

One in the filepath media mp\Spider-Man Homecoming (2017)\Spider-Man Homecoming (2017).mkv
One in the filepath media\Movies\Spider-Man Homecoming (2017)\Spider-Man Homecoming (2017).mkv

I had copy/pasted the containing folder out of the Movies path and into the tmp path after the media failed to be found by plex. After copying into the tmp folder and adding that into plex as a new movies container, it will get picked up by plex. I understand that plex won’t be able to find something in a separate folder, but the movie exists in both, so I would expect it to show in both libraries, or at the least, to have shown in the Movies library before the creation of tmp.

@Zyxer22 said:
Both of those tmp and folder1 folders contain only movies. I’ve added them because of what I mentioned in the original post that it appears to be the only way to get new media to show in my library. In the example from my screenshot, I actually have 2 instances of the spiderman movie in my library.

One in the filepath media mp\Spider-Man Homecoming (2017)\Spider-Man Homecoming (2017).mkv
One in the filepath media\Movies\Spider-Man Homecoming (2017)\Spider-Man Homecoming (2017).mkv

I had copy/pasted the containing folder out of the Movies path and into the tmp path after the media failed to be found by plex. After copying into the tmp folder and adding that into plex as a new movies container, it will get picked up by plex. I understand that plex won’t be able to find something in a separate folder, but the movie exists in both, so I would expect it to show in both libraries, or at the least, to have shown in the Movies library before the creation of tmp.

Yeah sorry. I totally missed that part.
So going back to the Plex dance that you tried.
Can we confirm that you moved both copies of the movie outside of anywhere seen by Plex before you did the empty trash, scan library etc…

Please edit both your current ‘Movies’ and the ‘tmp’ libraries.
https://support.plex.tv/articles/200289266-editing-libraries/
Take a look at the ‘Advanced’ tab.

Do they both show the same selection of ‘Agent’ or are they different?

@OttoKerner I apologize for not checking back earlier. I checked the agent tab and they have the same - Plex Movie
I double checked and all of the settings it the ‘advanced’ tab of the ‘edit’ menu seem to be the same.

@HitsVille I don’t believe I did that first. Perhaps I should go through that process again?

Something smells fishy :slight_smile:

1. activate debug logging (not ‘verbose’!)
  2. quit Plex Server
  3. wait 1 minute
  4. start Plex Server
  5. wait 5 minutes
  6. fetch log files and attach them here

Or inspect them yourself. Take a look at the Plex Media Server.log file and seek for messages about database corrupt or malformed.
If you find these, you may have to repair your database.
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201100678-Repair-a-Corrupt-Database

@Zyxer22 said:
@OttoKerner I apologize for not checking back earlier. I checked the agent tab and they have the same - Plex Movie
I double checked and all of the settings it the ‘advanced’ tab of the ‘edit’ menu seem to be the same.

@HitsVille I don’t believe I did that first. Perhaps I should go through that process again?

Well it seems you have done the Plex Dance but with an essential missing part. That said @OttoKerner last post suggests that the issue may be elsewhere?

I’m sorry again guys for taking so long to respond. When my friend convinced me to try keeping a server as a hobby I never thought it’d be so much work haha.

So, I tried redoing the plex dance but with moving the stuff out of plex first and that seems to have actually got it working this time. So, I guess that means it’s working for now. I can’t tell you both how happy I am to be able to say that :smiley:

@Zyxer22 said:
I’m sorry again guys for taking so long to respond. When my friend convinced me to try keeping a server as a hobby I never thought it’d be so much work haha.

So, I tried redoing the plex dance but with moving the stuff out of plex first and that seems to have actually got it working this time. So, I guess that means it’s working for now. I can’t tell you both how happy I am to be able to say that :smiley:

The good news is although it took a while to get there it’s generally a set and forget thing afterwards.