Which are the advantages?

sonos

I am going to buy the new Sonos One. I guess Sonos has an its own mediacenter with a well working app. Why shoud I prefer to stream music through plex?
Which are the advantages?

Second question: is plex compatible with the Alexa voice assistant built in? Can I ask to the Sonos One somothing like: "Alexa, play song XXX from Plex"?

Ty in advice
G.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but just some honest feedback from a long time sonos user.

1. The speakers are awesome. You'll love your purchase.
  2. The sub is essential, don't skip it.
  3. The sonos controller is awful. IMO. one of the worst apps ever made for browsing a music library. So much so, that I nearly returned my speakers over it.
  4. Plex for Sonos is a rough beta release and it doesn't work reliably (i'm talking a 50/50 chance of the service working). Its really bad, and Plex has decided to ignore all the users on the related forum, so dont expect this to ever get fixed.
  5. Dont buy a plex pass just for the sonos feature: it doesnt work well.
  6. You'll eventually try everything you can think of to avoid using the sonos controller to play your music. I tried Plex, Chromecast audio, casting directly from within the Google music app (nice feature by the way). But the only controller that has been good enough for my requirements has been Roon (roonlabs.com). Picture a really nice Plex that doesn't suck at its only job.
  7. All in all, i've finally found a way to enjoy my sonos spealers, but i wish someone had told me just how awful their app was before hand. I would have bought a different set of speakers looking back - and Plex has not made a single attempt to improve their Sonos Labs beta in years.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

What set of speakers would you buy today?
I'm very attracted to th alexa/google assistant voice commando possibility built in the Sonos One, are there some good sound quality alternatives?

@natopigro said:
Thank you very much for your feedback!
What set of speakers would you buy today?

I don't know, I was looking at some Martin Logan speakers back when I was debating which way to go. The ease of transferring the Sonos room to room has been wonderful though.

Update on using Plex with Sonos:
So I thought it would be great to wake up to a Plex mix in the mornings so I set my Sonos alarm to Plex music library. Problem is, over the last 30 days, the alarm has only worked 1 - 5 times. The rest of the mornings, Sonos fails to connect to https://app.plex.tv and the Sonos Chime just rings instead.

You read that right. The Sonos Labs Plex Beta doesnt even use your local network to Play music. It has to dial home to plex.tv and hairpin back in over SonosNet. That handshake is where everying falls apart.

I don't know, I was looking at some Martin Logan speakers back when I was debating which way to go. The ease of transferring the Sonos room to room has been wonderful though.

But they don't have the voice assistant, aren't they?

@natopigro said:

But they don't have the voice assistant, aren't they?

Not that I know of. Voice assistance isn't a requirement for me, but I would probably just get a Google Home speaker and work it into my system if it were.

I'm really disappointed Sonos partnered with Amazon for their new speaker. That stupid war between Google/Amazon only hurts customers and I won't support it (i.e. Amazon blocking YouTube access, removing Chromecast from the store, etc). It's all very silly, and I've used the Alexa skill with Plex before and I don't see anything exceptionally functional about it, aside from those times your hands are full of wet dough in the kitchen and you literally can't sit through 3 minutes of of a mediocre song that comes on...

Any way, have you decided on your speaker configuration? Curious what you've decided on!