Why am I still getting these ugly green lines?!?!?

android-tv
fire-tv

I have posted this in the server forum part, but it probably should be here since it only occurs for me on the player side of things...

When I direct play some files I keep getting these green lines at the bottom of the picture where it meets the black bar. In the past it has been very sporadic, but in the last couple of months over half the movies (27/50) that I have added to my plex server have the lines.

I have been looking to see where this occurs and it only seems to be when I am using the Plex app on my Sony x930 or on my Nvidia Shield. Playing these files on my phones plex app or through plex in a browser on my pc, I do not get the lines.

I have read some posts on the issue and it seems to have been going on for a while and recently gotten worse.
Some have said that it is an Nvidia issue, but as I am having the same issue on my Sony TV, and both the TV and the Shield have an identical app, I would have to say that it has to be a plex issue.

I have also tried to use the "convert automatically" option when playing the file. While this does get rid of the green lines, after about 5 minutes the audio and video are completely out of sync.

It would be nice to see an actual plex employee response to this, as I have not seen one so far on the other posts.

Please create a minimal working example to help us debug the problem. e.g. use ffmpeg to create a 10 second sample from the problematic clip and upload this sample here. Only then are we able fix the issue.

ffmpeg example:
ffmpeg -i problem_file.mp4 -c:a copy -c:v copy -t 10 sample.mp4

Will it also help to fix buffering issue if I do a sample for videos that are buffering in 6.18 but not buffering in 6.12?
Because it is also a big problem right now for quite a while already.
Thanks

Ignore my previous post pls. Something has happened and it is not buffering that bad anymore. WOW.
Updated PMS server, Plex Client and TV firmware. Now it is actually watchable. Sometimes buffering but not that bad anymore. Will go to check it on Philips Android TV now :slight_smile:

@mmhorda Glad to hear that Plex is making progress :slight_smile: However, the issue of OP is most likely completely unrelated and fixing it won’t further improve buffering.

Checked on Philips Android TV and the issue is exactly the same as on Sony Android TV.
Basically it is way better now than before but still buffering sometimes. It happens only on videos with bitrate more than ~40mbits.
The odd part is that it is not happening on 6.12 Plex client version at all. on 6.12 it plays very smooth but 6.12 has issues with some audio streams and subtitles.
Basically there is no perfect client version yet.

Maybe your receiver is on the way out. This is what I had. Replaced receiver and all was well.

by the way. Found finally grey bars too.
Basically all HDR content with x265 codec will have black bars and not only on PLEX client. MX Player has the same issue. I think it is not player related but rather TV itself related (wrong color space maybe?).

@mmhorda Please do not hijack this thread. The problem of OP are green bars. That’s what we are trying to solve here. Please post in a more related thread or create a new one if you cannot find one. However, your description sounds like you are having issues with HDR content.

@uglymagoo said:
@mmhorda Please do not hijack this thread. The problem of OP are green bars. That’s what we are trying to solve here. Please post in a more related thread or create a new one if you cannot find one. However, your description sounds like you are having issues with HDR content.

Sorry uglymagoo my bad.
I somehow forgot it was about green bars not grey. I just saw first g… and alerady assumed.

@uglymagoo said:
Please create a minimal working example to help us debug the problem. e.g. use ffmpeg to create a 10 second sample from the problematic clip and upload this sample here. Only then are we able fix the issue.

ffmpeg example:
ffmpeg -i problem_file.mp4 -c:a copy -c:v copy -t 10 sample.mp4

Sorry for the late reply. Been traveling.

I have no idea what any of that means or how to create a sample

We need your broken video to reproduce your problem. As you can see, there are not many people having the same issue so it’s specific to your video files. A small part of the video, i.e. a sample, is enough. ffmpeg is the de-facto standard program for video conversion and the above command would produce such a sample.

Actually there are several posts on the matter in the forums here and on Plex’s reddit. Some say that it is an Nvidia issue, but since it is shown on andriod phones, TV’s (like my Sony x930e), as well as the Shield, I dont see how this is correct. Also considering the fact that they play fine on my PC media players and when on a usb plugged directly into the TV, and seeing that the problem only occurs when direct playing files through Plex, it has to be a Plex issue.
These are the posts I could find -

(this last one I included, because this artifacting occurs on some of the green line files after I selected the 'convert automatically" option through the player app.)

As for the sample… I dont have nor ever used the program before, so giving me such brief and not very informative “instruction” is not very helpful. If you cant explain then a link to the program and instructions on how to use it would have been more helpful and appreciated

@Darkrenzo said:
Actually there are several posts on the matter in the forums here and on Plex’s reddit.

Thanks for the links. However, we need your file, or at least a sample of it, to reproduce your issue.

As for the sample… I dont have nor ever used the program before, so giving me such brief and not very informative “instruction” is not very helpful. If you cant explain then a link to the program and instructions on how to use it would have been more helpful and appreciated

I gave you the whole command to extract a 10 second sample from your file. There is nothing more to it. If you do not want to use ffmpeg just use any other video tool you are comfortable with, to create the sample. But make sure this sample exhibits the same green lines. Or just put the whole video somewhere and send us the links. We don’t care.

So with the sample I make, do I need to add it to my server and check to see if the green lines are showing since it only occurs on the player side?

@Darkrenzo said:
So with the sample I make, do I need to add it to my server and check to see if the green lines are showing since it only occurs on the player side?

Correct.

Also again… you instructions seem to be told as if I know how the program even works. I dont do video editing and I dont use those programs. I just tried to download ffmpeg and could not find a single .exe to start the program in the entire download.

What’s your OS? You can get ffmpeg on macOS from homebrew, on Linux from your package manager and on Windows from the project page: http://ffmpeg.org/download.html#build-windows

@uglymagoo said:
What’s your OS? You can get ffmpeg on macOS from homebrew, on Linux from your package manager and on Windows from the project page: http://ffmpeg.org/download.html#build-windows

So I need the package. Not the giant green button that says ‘DOWNLOAD’.
They should really make that apparent… lol
But thanx. I am at least heading in a positive direction now

Then again, assuming you have ffmpeg and your broken video file is named "problem_file.mp4’ then the following command command should create a 10 second sample on any OS. The syntax is easy. -i specifies the input file name, -c:a copy -c:v copy tells ffmpeg NOT to re-encode video nor audio (i.e. copy), -t 10 says: just process 10 seconds of the file, sample.mp4 is the name of the video output file.

ffmpeg -i problem_file.mp4 -c:a copy -c:v copy -t 10 sample.mp4.