Why is my setup so slow?

I have 60mbs down, 15-20mbs up, and a vpn on, so 20-30mbs down, 10-15mbs up.

Even with 10-15mbs Up speed, I cannot stream from Xbox One, Firestick, and sometimes Phone. My xbox one is always bugging out, saying it cannot connect to my server, when my phone can. Firestick doesn't work at all. It just restarts plex when I try to play a movie.

So what do I do about my xbox one not working?
I think one error code was chacha3004

Also, how do I fix my firestick?

It’d be nice if someone responded.

Need to know a little more about your setup…

What is PMS running on? Windows 10? NAS Box?
What parts of your network are wired vs. wireless?
All of this on your local network, or are you trying to view remote and having issues?

I do know that running PMS through a VPN can get tricky. Lots of stories around here with people not having much luck with it. Have you tried disabling the VPN to see if you get better results?

@AmazingRando24 said:
Need to know a little more about your setup…

What is PMS running on? Windows 10? NAS Box?
What parts of your network are wired vs. wireless?
All of this on your local network, or are you trying to view remote and having issues?

I do know that running PMS through a VPN can get tricky. Lots of stories around here with people not having much luck with it. Have you tried disabling the VPN to see if you get better results?

I’m running a private VPN, that has a 1GB port on it. I do believe I see the issue now.
On VPN I get 50mbs down, 5mbs maximum up.

But I am running my PMS on some 4TB external drives, and that shows no problem.
I’m on Windows 10 right now, but am debating moving to Ubuntu soon.

Also; Plex is p2p right?

@SloopDraok said:
Also; Plex is p2p right?

It is, but not in the traditional sense. You have to intentionally share out your content with invited users. Not just anyone can get at your stuff… and it’s all streaming/viewing, no actual downloading.

If you’re streaming internal, the up/down speed should depend more on the speed of your router and switches than anything. Most users run on a 1gbps connection internally. If you’re sharing out with others, that 5mbps upstream is going to be your bottleneck. Then it will depend highly on the bitrate of the file, what type of transcoding is happening, if any, and the settings on the client end.

Things can get trickier when attempting remote connections through a VPN. Lots of posts about that, and several hoops to hop through to get it working right.