Writing profiles for DLNA devices

server-dlna

In Window 7, you can create a user client profile by navigating to the folder:

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server

and create a folder called "Profiles".

Navigate to the newly created folder 

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Profiles

and copy your dlnaclientprofiles.xml to this folder.

You'll notice that your log file

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Logs\Plex DLNA Server.log

contains the following after restarting Plex:

Dec 04, 2013 09:38:24:784 [17560] DEBUG - Reading system DLNA client profiles
Dec 04, 2013 09:38:24:808 [17560] DEBUG - Reading user client profile dlnaclientprofiles

You must be a developer of this software.  Thanks for finally posting this documentation rather than letting a new user find it on their own.

I thought dlnaclientprofiles.xml was obsoleted. Each client profile should be in it's own file with the name of the file being the same as the Client "name"

On found the correct place on macbook 10.6.8 os x, and plex 9.8.10.215. The user created Profiles go in ~username/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Profiles.

I had to create the directory there before installing a couple profiles.

hmmm ok soo all of those locations mentioned in this post none of them are working in Linux.

Can someone please give me a definitive answer as to the location for Linux machines - specifically Centos\Fedora

Places I have tried so far:

/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/System.bundle/Contents/Resources/dlnaclientprofiles.xml - (get's overwritten each start, and no longer kept in a single file. So not the correct option regardless).

/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/System.bundle/Contents/Resources/Profiles/my-custom.xml - (Created a Profiles folder in here, but not being read)

/var/lib/plexmediaserverLibrary/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Profiles - (I tried here because path similar to Mac - but not being read from here either)

/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Profiles/ - (These are the system profiles and creating custom ones in here don't work)

This appears to be working here actually:

/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Profiles

Regards

MM

Basic documentation's for suckers

Basic documentation's for suckers

I think maybe you should put all 3 locations mentioned for Windows, Mac & Linux into a sticky. Definitely worth it. Took me hours of stuffing around to finally work out where everything was.

I definitely recommend changing the default install for Linux by the way.

If anyone is having issues getting your head around the 50 deep folder structure in 2 separate locations do this:

Stop the plexmediaserver service (for Fedora it's: systemctl stop plexmediaserver.service)

#mv /usr/lib/plexmediaserver /opt/plex

#mv /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library /opt/plex/

OR you can just delete and start again: #rm -rf /var/lib/plexmediaserver

#chown -R name:name /opt/plex (change name to your username)

Edit these two files (again this is Fedora, but you will have either both, or one of them depending on your distribution):

/etc/sysconfig/PlexMediaServer

/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service

Change the /usr/lib/plexmediaserver to /opt/plex

Change the /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library to /opt/plex/Library

Change the user and group from plex to your username for both of them.

Save and start the service, and then run a status on the service (Fedora: #systemctl status plexmediaserver.service)

Now things are a little more logical, and easier to get to as everything is sitting under one folder now.

On found the correct place on macbook 10.6.8 os x, and plex 9.8.10.215. The user created Profiles go in ~username/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Profiles.

I had to create the directory there before installing a couple profiles.

Thanks, previous versions and instructions I saved from this site, the user created "profile", was simply saved to the "Plex Media Server" folder, NOT in a user created "Profiles" folder. The first post in this thread has been edited with these NEW instructions, wish I had known of this change. So I'm using the current 0.9.8.10, and will create a "Profiles" folder and move my user created profile into it, and restart PMS. This on MacPro tower running Snow Leopard.

Don't think so, because that's where the official profiles live. I know that for a fact . I had modified the Bravia profiles to suit my needs, they where written over each time i did a PMS update. Question remains  - where do the USER edited profiles go??????

Check your "facts", this quote is from the first post in this thread:

System profiles
System profiles are provided and supported by Plex Inc. and are updated automatically when a new version of the server is installed. System profile files are stored in the Plex Media Server installation, under the Resources/Profiles directory. They should be assumed to be read-only from a user's perspective, because any changes made will be lost when the server installation is updated.

Anyone can help with a profile for a Hisense 50K360 TV?

I can see the server but when I enter to browse, nothing is shown

I tried creating a profile, in the logs I can see the browse request but still nothing shows:

Jan 14, 2014 17:19:28 [0x105aa6000] DEBUG - OnBrowseDirectChildren for '0' with filter '*' and sort '', paged as 0 + 2500
Jan 14, 2014 17:19:28 [0x105aa6000] DEBUG - Mapped client to profile Hisense 50K360 using header User-Agent: AwoX/1.1 UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50
Jan 14, 2014 17:19:28 [0x105aa6000] DEBUG - Mapped object 0 to  part 0 on server 
Jan 14, 2014 17:19:28 [0x105aa6000] DEBUG - OnBrowseDirectChildren returning success with 3 objects of 3 total

Yeah, there are a lot of "read the sticky" type answers to DNLA questions... but then improper/incomplete information contained within.  It can get very frustrating.  Skimming through the above, I see three people asked the same question about the very basic (but important) information of "where does it go?", to which there is no definitive answer?  Should it just be clearly documented where EXACTLY this Profiles folder should go, in each of the PMS platforms?

The sticky says: 

but where is that?  Where is this supposed "Plex Media Server user directory"?   On a Mac?  On Linux?  Windows?  Etc etc.

Its really hard for anyone to move forward without that, no?

The lack of documentation is shocking, actually.  I'm not sure if subscribers get some sort of enhanced documentation or what.

I've struggled to locate DLNA profile in the FreeNAS (9.2) Plex plugin.  Now that I have, I'd like to share it:

/usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/share/plexmediaserver/Resources/Profiles

The path above is from *within* the Plex jail.

I just installed the new version 9.8.18

Migrating user DLNA profiles worked. I created folder "Profiles" in PMS root (where "Plug-ins", "Media", Metadata", "Logs" and other system folders reside), split the old "dlnaclientprofiles.xml" in parts, one for each device (also removed and tags) and now the magic "Mapped client to ... profile" shows up in "Plex DLNA Server.log".

But I have problems with content matching.

My movies are in many formats, my TVs can play them without transcoding but Plex DLNA refuses to pass some of them them directly. And the subtitles are the ones to blame.

On the SmartTV I can play any of them with the Plex client, no transcoding and subtitles show ok. But on "not-so-SmartTVs" or any DLNA device they don't work as expected.

I have external subtitles for SOME of the movies (local .srt,.smi -

In element I have of course the

With this setting, DLNA reports ANY movie WITH subtitles (.../srt or else) "... is not a supported directplay video profile".

Adding <... subtitleFormat="srt,smi,microdvd" /> to the VideoProfile element resolves the issue for movies WITH subtitles but now ANY movie WITHOUT subtitles fails to play directly.

The simple question: is there a way to disable subtitles matching in VideoProfiles? Or there is a keyword ("*", "any","none") to use in subtitlesFormat attribute so it can match anything (or nothing at all)?

Plex DLNA Server will not send subtitles anyway. So why this strict matching?

P.S. About subtitles in DLNA.

A single additional line in content descriptor over DLNA (res ...) would have sloved subtitles issue in Plex since long. PLEX librarian has this information as an additional media stream (id=3) but DLNA Server fails to interpret and send it to client.

The simple question: is there a way to disable subtitles matching in VideoProfiles? Or there is a keyword ("*", "any","none") to use in subtitlesFormat attribute so it can match anything (or nothing at all)?

Plex DLNA Server will not send subtitles anyway. So why this strict matching?

Took me a bit of playing around to check this out.  I made a 2 minute mkv and a custom SRT to popup text at 10s.  It played, but afterwards the subtitles became embedded into the SRT.  I dont know if it was when I played it through Plex DLNA, VLC, or what, but it played.  I then took another 2 minute mkv without any subtitles and it played as well with the following VideoProfile:

After the srt is just two ' ' without a space.

Has anyone written an XBMC profile? I'm really unfamiliar with writing code.

My problem when is when trying to access plex library from XBMC via UPnP, the files all show up and I can play the video no problem. However it won't show any movie info or thumbnails.

All it shows is movie name.

I'm not sure if client profile will fix this problem but it looks like XBMC is not in the stock dlnaclientprofiles.xml file.

P.S I'm aware of PlexBMC and don't like to use it as there are too many steps to get to the library.

Please help.

After the srt is just two ' ' without a space.

Thanks. It is the "keyword" I was looking for.

Now only real exotic formats are reported as "is not a directplay video profile"

However, it would be VERY interesting for a lot of people to tell us how did you manage to play something with extarnal (srt) subtitles through Plex DLNA.

This has nothing to do with content matching and forced transcoding. It is just a question that bothers me for a long time.

Thanks again for the content matching hint.

Thanks. It is the "keyword" I was looking for.

Now only real exotic formats are reported as "is not a directplay video profile"

However, it would be VERY interesting for a lot of people to tell us how did you manage to play something with extarnal (srt) subtitles through Plex DLNA.

This has nothing to do with content matching and forced transcoding. It is just a question that bothers me for a long time.

Thanks again for the content matching hint.

Sorry about the confusion.

External subtitles will only work with transcoding.  If you disable your transcoding you will be able to play the file but will not see any subtitles.  The way plex currently handles the srt's, the text is burned into the transcoded stream.  

The workaround with '' is only so that you tell plex not to transcode the file, however you will still not see the text.  The only reason that the external subtitles appeared to play was because they became embedded into the file, and im not sure which program actually did that as I didnt run it through mergemkv like I would normally do to merge an srt

Perhaps you could incorporate a profile editor page into the MS front end, with the option to list, create and edit current profiles and options for common and custom fields.

Also, and this is all I need really, an option to simply disable ALL transcoding in the MS and allow the playback devices to either play or fail depending on the codecs they can cope with. Not everyone is using a PC capable of direct transcoding.  Far too many of my videos which played back fine under PlexMS v1 now fail to stream to the XBox 360 because PlexMS thinks they need to be transcoded when, in fact, the XBox can play them natively without a problem.

The lack of documentation is shocking, actually.  I'm not sure if subscribers get some sort of enhanced documentation or what.

I've struggled to locate DLNA profile in the FreeNAS (9.2) Plex plugin.  Now that I have, I'd like to share it:

/usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/share/plexmediaserver/Resources/Profiles

The path above is from *within* the Plex jail.

Great !!!

I was looking for this info !!!

I now know where to place my profile for Sharp Aquos and check out if it works !

These kind of details should be highlighted otherwise newbies stucks from the beginning.

Thanks!

Is it possible to create a profile which only exposes audio files for direct play (flac) over DLNA yo certain devices (from the Music library) and nothing else ?

I want such a profile for playing music on my Marantz NR-1604 receiver that is capable of playing flac gapless over the network. Currently I have to navigate through the menu and choose from Video, Music and Photos (my libraries) but only one is relevant (Music).