Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

A media section for e-books?

LittlebigajLittlebigaj Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Any chatter about making ebook files like .mobi and .epub available through our Plex Media Servers?

Comments

• johnabelajohnabela Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

+1

• robot2xlrobot2xl Members, Plex Pass Posts: 498 Plex Pass

+1000

• guyldnguyldn Members, Plex Pass Posts: 43 Plex Pass

PDF support would be great too

• s4b3rt0oths4b3rt0oth Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

+1

• LXTRLXTR Members, Plex Pass Posts: 32 Plex Pass

+1

• demodydemody Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2

+1

• tmcgee13tmcgee13 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

+1

• 69clkx6969clkx69 Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

Yes Please

• QBAQBA Members, Plex Pass Posts: 34 Plex Pass

+1

• niluorniluor Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass

+1

• Langzik_NASLangzik_NAS Members, Plex Pass Posts: 10 Plex Pass

Yeah, I'm kind of desperate for this too; it would be nothing short of a God-send.

Personally, I've mainly been using Plex to share media with friends and family (esp for those who aren't tech savvy); it's particularly helpful because the interface is consistent across all platforms and devices, so I only have to teach it once. Giving them access to the e-book/e-mag collection would be really amazing, especially for studying/learning purposes when they're out and about. Plus, there's nothing really available to fill the void quite like Plex [quite easily] potentially could; it wouldn't even have to be anything special or fancy, even though I wouldn't complain if it were. :P

I imagine all Plex would really need in the filename is the title, ISBN number, author, and MAYBE the year? I think the ISBN number alone would be enough though...

Either way, enough rambling... +1  :)

• techdragontechdragon Members Posts: 11 Plex Pass

Ive looked into the code for this a few times, and its reaaaally not straitfoward for someone to 'add'. Its in the guts of stuff that plex auto updates over the top of and the auto update mechanism (last time i looked) pretty much 'paves right on over' anything we might place in there. S...

+1

But wish they would just let me help so they didnt have to build it.

• cayarscayars Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 3,419 Plex Ninja

Wouldn't the real problem be that each device would need to support PDF (an any other ebook format)?

I know we should be able to do this on a computer, tablet and cell phone but how many media devices do this?

• charnotxcharnotx Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

TO everyone that is just putting a +1: That does nothing. You need to like the original post for it to count as a vote in the process of making this a feature!

• charnotxcharnotx Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

TO everyone that is just putting a +1: That does nothing. You need to like the original post for it to count as a vote in the process of making this a feature!

• DallasHQDallasHQ Members, Plex Pass Posts: 78 Plex Pass

+1

• blacckpigyblacckpigy Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1
    edited May 2015
    cayars wrote on December 27 2014, 5:58 PM: »

Wouldn't the real problem be that each device would need to support PDF (an any other ebook format)?

I know we should be able to do this on a computer, tablet and cell phone but how many media devices do this?

almost all devieces that plex runs has support with it. and let be honest im not going going to read my private libarry of book on my xbox one or roku on my big screen. it more of a computer/phone cloud synce i would imagen for the common user who wants this. If your reading text on a big screen chances are you not to good at runing maintaing or hosting servers. so the only devices that plex run on that would not have NATIVE pdf,epub,mobi, etc support is, xbox, roku, apple tv and roku (in my experice).

With my two cents in. seeing how old this form is and the likelyhood that a tv hosting servies like plex is to intergrate this new addon is most likley on the bottom of thier list. I would support, and alpha test any user on the form that will be will to find a way to mod the server for this support. Ill run test for debuging on linux (any platform you want i run server version of it), win xp, 7, and 8. I will be active in that apha. I have an extensive libarry and old and new pc. As im not the best at programming, im more of an networking power user doesnt not mean im shy to it. I just know there better programer user on this form that will do a better job them I. But ill fully support testing for this. stable or not. I would love to see this added to the servers on plex.

Sorry TechDrgn for not quoting you but i think as user on here we should be able to at least make a prestenable version to plex,  even if it it own server with a few mod in plex orignal program to add links to our server hosting software. To get around thte oringal protacals in plex we could use our own coding pigging back off of the oringal plex server so that it can have it own it own update protacal and own poliacys as a mod addin. This way we can show Plex that it a cability. Im not looking for anything fancy I would just like to have my books, show, movies, and music (still a little tweeks needed) on one well working server instead of serveral which i do now. thank you for your time.

-pigy

• Ampix0Ampix0 Members Posts: 3

I am new to plex, I just set up my first installation of it on a dedicated home server, and I just bought the MAKE humble bundle for books. I just got TONS of ebooks in PDF format I would love to set up on plex to read on my phone/tablet.

• dlanordlanor Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,213 Plex Pass

I agree that generic eBook support would be a great addition to Plex.

Plex already covers many home entertainment media needs.

But two outstanding omissions remain, those being eBooks and AudioBooks.

Best regards: dlanor

• cfultzcfultz Members, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass

@dlanor said:

But two outstanding omissions remain, those being eBooks and AudioBooks.

Now with music, the audiobooks isn't too much of a problem, but I agree that it would be nice to see a dedicated section for audiobooks and eBooks. Would it be too far to say including .cbr/.cbz files as well? I personally have a lot of comics from HumbleBundle sales that I would LOVE to have on demand through my PMS.