If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Movie Requests

mdelportmdelport Posts: 475Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Update: There have been many changes since this original post, mainly including an admin interface. For full details please visit the GitHub rep or the project website new url is http://plexrequests.8bits.ca!

Update: Want Plex Requests better suited to a Winows Environment? Check out this version by @tidusjar : https://github.com/tidusjar/PlexRequests.Net

---

Hey guys/girls, been browsing some of the cool development you've all been doing and decided to make my first web app Plex related! Granted I work in IT but I've zero programming/development background so thought the best way to learn was to build something that I wish was available.

The idea behind Plex Requests is it's a simple web app where people using Plex, yourself, significant other, family, whomever, can go to search for and request new movies to be added! Right now it's pretty simple with an IMDB title search happening and the user given the options returned of which one they can request. On my current iteration, requested movie's get automatically sent to me via Push Bullet notifications as well added to a certain couch's wanted list. If the movie they've requested already exists in Plex they get told as such (rely's on a couch, haven't looked into Plex's API's yet) and can try another search.

Currently it works for me and my uses but I'm curious if anyone else would be interested in it and what methods of being told a movie is requested people would use. It's written in Django/Python and requires a web server to host so it's not the lowest barrier of entry unfortunately.

Comments

• dbbdarkdbbdark Posts: 165Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I like it can i use it \'?

• mdelportmdelport Posts: 475Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes I do plan on posting the Django app so people can add it to their projects I'm just cleaning up the code for uploading and some basic instructions on how to get it running.

Should be up tomorrow

will be nice!

Started a GitHub repo which can be gotten viewed here http://git.io/pqnh

• brucysbrucys Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    This is a excellent idea. My family and friends continually requests movies and TVS Shows for me to share. I will follow this with great interest.
    I however use Sickbeard. Any chance this can be added as well?
    Well done

I do hope to expand the services it can tie into as well as allowing you to choose them via the django admin panel. I also plan on getting a mini db setup for requests so you can view the requests directly as well!

maybe i missed something but:

Add "plexrequests" to your INSTALLED_APPS setting at the bottom of the list of your settings.py file and a reference to the templates if you don't already have one TEMPLATE_DIRS = [os.path.join(BASE_DIR, 'templates')]

Where can i find that settings.py ?

dbbdark wrote on March 11 2015, 7:00 PM: »

maybe i missed something but:

Add "plexrequests" to your INSTALLED_APPS setting at the bottom of the list of your settings.py file and a reference to the templates if you don't already have one TEMPLATE_DIRS = [os.path.join(BASE_DIR, 'templates')]

Where can i find that settings.py ?

The settings.py would be part of your greater Django project, not part of my app. Django works by having one project that can have multiple apps installed in it. I've just posted the app, you need to have an existing Django project to add it to. They've a great document explaining how to setup a Django project. In their example they're making a "polls" app which is the same thing as my app. So instead of adding a "polls" app to your Django project, you'd be adding the "plexrequests" app. Hope that makes sense!

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.7/intro/tutorial01/

• foebikfoebik Posts: 602Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is there any chance I can get a step by step install of this? I got DJango installed but I'm not sure what to do next.

edited March 2015

I would actually look into using the Meteor version, I've done more on it and I find it simpler to deploy as it's self contained.  Information about it can be found here.

To get it running in a development environment, simply install Meteor, then clone the repo in a directory, 'cd' into that directory and run 'meteor'. This should after a few moments start it up on a local install at http://localhost:3000 which you can browse with a web browser.

Once you've got that running you can follow this guide for pushing it to a web server.

PM if you've need help or open an issue on GitHub. Django instructions can also be found here in the README.

Screenshot03.png

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to figure out how to get this going on a windows box. I found the Meteor fork for Windows and installed it. Now I'm just trying to figure out the rest of the Linux instructions and translating them into Windows.

Kind of slow going since I don't know Linux or Meteor.

• gblogbdgblogbd Posts: 18Members ✭✭
    edited March 2015

Looks like your version isnt compatible with the windows release candidate of Meteor. I get an error when trying to run it after cloning. Any of you other folks get it up and running on windows?

I found this: https://github.com/meteor/meteor/wiki/Publishing-a-package-with-binary-dependencies-for-the-Windows-preview

Maybe that will help get a windows compatible version posted.

edited March 2015

You can run the below command in your own cloned version to get it to run on Windows with the RC version, I just tested it on my machine here at work. I'll look into how to change the version on GitHub to work without needing you to run this yourself.

Install Meteor, clone repo or download ZIP, in the application directory run below command, then just run 'meteor', that should do the trick for now!

meteor update --release METEOR@1.1-rc.0

Loken wrote on March 31 2015, 5:39 PM: »

You can run the below command in your own cloned version to get it to run on Windows with the RC version, I just tested it on my machine here at work. I'll look into how to change the version on GitHub to work without needing you to run this yourself.

Install Meteor, clone repo or download ZIP, in the application directory run below command, then just run 'meteor', that should do the trick for now!

You are the man! Got it to work. Now I just need to figure out how to make it where family and friends can use it. Anyone have any ideas for hosting the app without having to go through the hassle of setting up a webserver?

edited March 2015

I'm a big fan of Digital Ocean, they have hosting started from $5 a month and have a great article on how to deploy a Meteor app (doc) which I used to deploy on my own web server. Modulus is a web host specifically for NodeJS applications (Meteor is based upon node, and they have a tool to de-meteorize your meteor app for hosting purposes), they start at $15 a month I believe. For free hosting Heroku is great as well, and they've good documents too!

I should note Meteor has their own hosting "platform" called Galaxy I believe which is suppose to come out soon that will allow super easy deployment of Meteor apps. For now you can use 'meteor deploy my-app-name' to get a http://my-app-name.meteor.com site up and running. For light usage it's great, but I wouldn't rely on it for much besides testing. My demo is at plexrequests.meteor.com for example.

edited March 2015

Thanks for the great suggestions! I'm only going to have maybe 3 people requesting so would the meteor deployment work for a small usage case like that? Once I get more folks on board I may look at proper hosting. Also how do I change my app name to something more customized?

gblogbd wrote on March 31 2015, 6:12 PM: »

Thanks for the great suggestions! I'm only going to have maybe 3 people requesting so would the meteor deployment work for a small usage case like that? Once I get more folks on board I may look at proper hosting. Also how do I change my app name to something more customized?

There's no harm in giving it a go! I don't know if the CP integration would work though if not hosted on same LAN. You'd have to make sure your router had a firewall rule exception for it, as well as a port forward to the internal IP. In the code you'd have to enter your public facing IP instead of CP server IP. Alternatively, you could just comment out that the line 'searchCP' and it would skip over the CP side of things, just ad to the list and send Push Bullet notifications.

You choose the name of the URL when you do 'meteor deploy'. For the actually HTML you'd edit lines 2 and 33 in plexrequests-meteor/client/main.html as appropriate.

edited March 2015

I really been trying to wrap my head around this. Been trying to learn the basics of Meteor and how it works and then trying to figure out what that means in windows terms. Any suggestions? There seems to be some really good info above, but it also seems to assume you know how to do certain steps so I'm getting lost in the weeds so to speak.

edited March 2015
    foebik wrote on March 31 2015, 8:00 PM: »

I really been trying to wrap my head around this. Been trying to learn the basics of Meteor and how it works and then trying to figure out what that means in windows terms. Any suggestions? There seems to be some really good info above, but it also seems to assume you know how to do certain steps so I'm getting lost in the weeds so to speak.

Where you getting lost exactly? Simplest way to get it running in a "Dev" environment is outlined below for Windows 7 and up.

1. Install Meteor as outlined here

2. Go to the GitHub repo and hit Download ZIP on far right column

3. Unzip this folder somewhere on your machine, sayin you Downloads folder

4. Open the file plexrequests-meteor/server/server.js with a text editor and edit the lines below (see 4.5 if you want to disable either of these options)

• Line 12 : enter your PushBullet API for notifications
    • Line 19 : enter your CP IP address + port + API key in format: http://cpip:cpport/api/apikey

4.5 To disable CP comment out line 13 with two forward slashes at the start of the line (//) in plexrequests-meteor/client/templates/results.js, to disable PB do the same but for line 12 (otherwise your console is just going to get flooded with errors)

5. Using the Command Prompt navigate to this folder (how to) OR Shift+Right click the folder for extended options and select Open Command Window Here

6. Run the following command to make it work with Windows

7. Now run 'meteor' to start application

• markandlinamarkandlina Posts: 148Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can we prevent movies being automatically added, i.e. I can remove them first for example via an admin page?